Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What would a theorectically perfect night Sleephead readouts look?
Question 
What would a theorectically perfect night Sleephead readouts look?
As I look at my numbers in the left side, I wondered what numbers would a perfect night sleep readout look like.  No snores, perfectly timed full deep breaths  every interval, no rera, no full flow limitations  etc?  Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What would a theorectically perfect night Sleephead readouts look?
Theoretically, I suppose everything would read zeroes? So connect it to a machine and you'd get "perfect" numbers. "perfect" numbers for people are subjective.

Stop chasing unicorns by looking at the numbers and go by how you feel. Sometimes people get fixated on numbers and keep fiddling with settings, but they are just numbers. Please go by how you are feeling. there are also a number of outside factors that can play into your numbers changing each night. i.e. sleep position, medications, alcohol....

If your AHI is <5 then your apnea is considered controlled/fixed. If your AHI is >5 you still may considered under control based off of how you feel. One of our doctors doesn't really care what the numbers say, he listens to what the pt. is telling him.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most nights my AHI is below one.  Tuesday night my AHI was 3.3.  That usually means that  I am going to have a bad day.  But instead I was full of energy and cheerful.  The numbers are just a crude yardstick and only really useful for comparative purposes.  You can have great numbers and still feel like a sack of Jello the next day.  

Also keep in mind that Sleep Disordered breathing is only one of many things that can affect your sleep quality and / or energy levels, mental clarity etc.  There is no rule that says only one of these will affect you at a time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2017, 08:47 AM)dmeRT Wrote: Theoretically, I suppose everything would read zeroes?  So connect it to a machine and you'd get "perfect" numbers.  "perfect" numbers for people are subjective.

Stop chasing unicorns by looking at the numbers and go by how you feel.  Sometimes people get fixated on numbers and keep fiddling with settings, but they are just numbers.  Please go by how you are feeling.  there are also a number of outside factors that can play into your numbers changing each night.  i.e.  sleep position, medications, alcohol....

If your AHI is <5 then your apnea is considered controlled/fixed.  If your AHI is >5 you still may considered under control based off of how you feel.  One of our doctors doesn't really care what the numbers say, he listens to what the pt. is telling him.

This was just a "for fun, what if" rather than anything I would be looking at or chasing numbers.  I was just curious what the various left hand parameter numbers would read in a perfect sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
The perfect night is not determined by the numbers but by the question

How do you feel?
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had a few perfect nights "by the numbers"....0.0 AHI, no pressure ramping up...but as a UARS patient, that doesn't mean they were great sleeps. Wink
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for replies.  As I said just for fun.  As for me I seem to get better more restful WITHOUT the machine, but that's just me.

I was going to start another thread with what my sleep doc said but nothing really new to report other than gotta get the large leaks fixed and apparently his machine readouts are not what sleepyhead or respironics reports!!  Go figure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  'Near-perfect' flowrate graphs CPAPnerd 7 472 02-11-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Looking for flaws in my perfect scores arkona12 4 543 08-03-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: arkona12
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 872 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 921 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [How to] How to achieve the perfect mask fit - GUARANTEED! SuperSleeper 50 50,969 05-27-2023, 10:35 AM
Last Post: RickEiben
  Close, But Not Perfect chazmofo 1 498 02-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: Melman
Question NEED HELP: Optimized therapy to perfect numbers-bad sleep koy23 4 652 02-02-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: koy23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.