Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What would be the best machine to purchase
What would be the best machine to purchase
What would the best machine be to purchase. I don't mind spending the money.

Also, I want access to the data. This is a critical must have. 

I am retiring. I have the money to purchase the best machine. I have seen what machines Medicare pays for, which is a brick without data capability. Or at least that is what one friend got.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool 
RE: What would be the best machine to purchase
I was just about to post the same question. I won't at this time as it could be redundant enough. I'm currently on the Respironics DreamStation Auto BiPAP and the FFM by Respironics, Amara View. I've only been on the DreamStation for 1 week of the insurance rental BTW. I think the mask has been great, and not really looking to changing that choice. And I know I'm needing to post my Sleepyhead info for the gurus to give feedback, which I'll do today in my own post. I'm wondering though, if I had the choice, would the ResMed 10's brand be better? As I recall elsewhere on the board, Sleeprider said the ResMed was better in some ways than the DreamStation, again as I sort of remember what I'd read. Unfortunate for me, I can't find that thread again right now. I do know Respironics and ResMed are the choices you want to focus on, by the way.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
sleepy and Sarcastic,

Since you are both asking pretty much the same question, here is a link that will help you in machine choice and which ones to avoid.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

This article does need to be updated a bit, but you can get a general feel.
#SleepyHead works with both the new DreamStation and ResMed Airsense machines.

Yes, the top two brands are ResMed and Respironics.
As far as one brand being better than the other, well you will find that to be personal preference.

ResMed's algorithm reacts faster to apnea events (will raise pressure faster) in response to events.  
ResMed's newer auto airsense machines have the cpap, auto, and soft mode.  The soft mode is the same as in the Airsense for Her cpap.

Respironics algorithm is slower to react, but this is managed by the proper pressure settings.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose. I did read the device thread earlier, so I'm certain on my brand choices and that my current DreamStation is a good choice. I'm just considering whether the ResMed may be better yet.

On ResMed, can any shed light on AirSense vs AirCurve? (I'm searching my own answer as well.) Thumbnail sketch is fine.

Algorithm was the word I was looking for. Personal preference aside, will that faster responding algorithm make the ResMed the better choice for therapy results? I'm just wanting the best BiPAP I can get. And it's not that I don't like the DreamStation, I'm just wondering if the ResMed will be an even better choice for results. Note that I'm also a COPD in a relatively early stage according to my primary care doc FWIW.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, I think I answered one of my own questions. The ResMed AirCurve is the bilevel model versus the AirSense is not. It looks to me also that it is going to be a current DreamStation Auto BiPap vs ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto decision. Hmm... Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
There are many here that prefer the ResMed AirCurve VAuto.  
You may want to start a new thread with those two machines in the thread title to attract folk that use these machines to get a better perspective of what is right for you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK I'll follow up on that. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Aircurve Vauto vs auto BiPAP is one of the closest contests out there, and reasons for choosing either one are valid.  

Philips Respironics Dreamstation auto BiPAP is distinguished by having variable pressure support with automatic algorithms that can optimize results for RERA and hypopnea treatment.  With Philips you set an EPAP min, PS min, PS max and IPAP max. This machine also records RERA and periodic breathing not included on the Resmed.  Philips machines can sometimes seem slightly out of sync with breathing, and I resolved that with a longer Ti setting of 2.3. The Philips algorithm constantly tests higher EPAP pressure of 1.5 cm increase over a 90 second period every 20 minutes. This is not obtrusive, but gives the IPAP pressure wave-form the characteristic sawtooth pattern 

Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto uses fixed pressure support, so EPAP and IPAP always move together.  This is identical to performance of the Airsense 10 Auto CPAP when set to 3-cm pressure support.  Note, unless you use more the PS 3, there is virtually no difference in this machine from the auto CPAP except it does not record RERA and periodic breathing.  Resmed is very good at changing between IPAP and EPAP very smoothly, following the lead of the user.  I have never felt the machine was controlling the breathing rate or volume. Resmed Vauto is faster to increase pressure in response to obstructive cues, the same as it's auto-CPAP cousin. This won't matter if you use an optimized pressure that resolves most obstructive events.

To see a comparison of how these machines perform on Sleepyhead could require more graphs than I have available, but here are a couple of mine from a PRS1 auto BiPAP and Aircurve 10 below.  Note, I keep EPAP relatively high and there is not a lot of pressure change through the night.  Someone with more hypopnea, and pressure support range would definitely benfit from the Philips algorithm, while pure obstructive and limited CA would find the steady pressure and very comfortable "following" of the Resmed nice.   The bottom line is, there is no wrong choice, and no best choice.  These are both fine machines that can help you to dial in very comfortable and effective therapy.  In the examples below, the Philips is at a PS range of 4-9 which I have reduced in the Resmed. The most notable effect was a drop in tidal volume and CA. So here you go:

Philips:

[Image: NyD9DYIh.png]

Resmed:
[Image: E4T0eQ2h.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nice info and thanks. I think I have enough enemies that I don't want to add more to it. I'll work with the DreamStation that was issued unless it's discovered that it's not what will help my specific needs. Then I'll deal with it if that is what it becomes.
Post Reply Post Reply
How would the possibility of higher central apnea be addressed? I'm seeing it listed also as severe in my sleep report.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,525 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,172 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Considering Second CPAP Purchase Lfmichel 11 1,049 10-26-2023, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Irod
Money [CPAP] Repair Z1 or purchase Pilot-24 Lite Battery CJH1968 3 595 08-13-2023, 08:10 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  [Equipment] Where can I purchase a DreamStation Go? jamesjcrowley 2 536 06-20-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  AirSense 10 AutoSet…..purchase? spetzal 3 981 12-13-2022, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.