Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new to bipap, lots of central apneas
RE: new to bipap, lots of central apneas
(04-25-2019, 04:16 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Lowering maximum IPAP is a logical response.  As far as EERS, your mask can be adapted by occluding the vent where the hose connects, and moving it about 12" upstream using Corr-a-Flex tubing and the swivel vent mentioned in the article.  It simply replaces the existing vent but adds dead-space that does not currently exist.  It's a cutting edge approach, so I don't expect much adoption of it until the parts are commercially produced.
So an update. I lowered the maximum IPAP to 9 after this last post, two weeks ago now. It was definitely the right move, as both total AHI and centrals have dropped dramatically in the past week, most nights total is below 5 and one night less than 1(:-)). It's still not consistent, and I've had a couple of nights where it jumped to 9 or so, but the trend is still downward. So likely no need for an ASV.

But I'm still pretty sleepy, and I am wondering about RERAs, which were the most prevalent events during my in-lab sleep studies (which some people would call UARS), and which the Aircurve doesn't track. I still have what seems to me like a lot of flow limitations, though mostly they stay below .10, rarely above .20. But also, if I zero in on the clear airway apneas and look at the flow rate, it shows my breathing getting very ragged just before each CA -- yet without a flow limitation. This is from last night -- no OAs or hypopneas and not a lot of CAs, but rather a lot of (mostly small) flow limitations:
 [attachment=11868]

And this is a close-up showing the flow rate that happens before centrals- this is during a time when I know I was asleep:
[attachment=11866]

If I am understanding  Barry Krakow's take accurately, I want to aim to even out that pattern. So I am wondering, should I maybe try tweaking the pressure support up a bit, to see if I can reduce the flow limitations more and even out my breathing (and hopefully not induce more centrals)? If I do that do I need to increase the IPAP max a bit -- I wouldn't think so, as it seems to be stopping the OAs just fine. Or just keep the settings where they are and give it more time?

I really appreciate all your help with this!
Post Reply Post Reply
Or, after reading other posts about inconsistent CAs, am I getting ahead of myself and need to give it more time?
[attachment=11871]

I have a phone appointment with my doctor on Tuesday the 14th, how should I approach it?
Post Reply Post Reply
If they are emergent pressure induced CA, as a lot appear to be. They settle down over 12 weeks for most people. It would help if your turned off the pie chart. It will show the rest of the stats column. You may be able to go back to CPAP later.

I would email the charts, you want to talk about. So you both can refer to them. I think he will be very pleased with your results.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but if you are I just want to say Thank You! for leading me to the ASV. I had no trouble at all adjusting to it, though did go through a bit of setting-tweaking. My AHI is hovering around .5, with a lot of 0.0 nights, and I am slowly but surely feeling better. I don't know that I would have gotten here without all your help.  So Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on your success. May it continue to work well.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bemuseed, great news you finally got the treatment you needed. I wish we could have been part of the adjustment. I assume you stuck it out and finally got a prescription for the ASV you needed. Please share the story if you are willing. It will help others in the same situation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well there weren't a lot of changes to the settings, and I did them in collaboration with my doctor, who has been wonderful. But I would be happy to share my story -- where should I post it? Start a new thread, or ??
Post Reply Post Reply
Either post here, or include a link to this thread if you start a new topic.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,513 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,396 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 854 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 303 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.