Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What would you recommend for a machine?
What would you recommend for a machine?
Initially, around 1992, I was diagnosed with a mixed central apnea and treated with protriptyline. That worked OK for a long time and then it changed over time - now I'm told it is an obstructive apnea.

What would you recommend in the way of a machine, that isn't a "brick" like the Airsense 10 base model which was dispensed?

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What would you recommend for a machine?
I'm very happy with my Philips Respironics Dreamstation unit..

I have it coupled with a Fisher & Paykel Eson nose mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
The most common current generation full data machines that are used around here are:

The Remed AirSense 10 AutoSet, AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her, and AirSense 10 Elite CPAP
The PR DreamStation AutoCPAP and DreamStation CPAP Pro

Slightly older full data machines that are still occasionally dispensed as new equipment are:

The Resmed S9 AutoSet, S9 AutoSet for Her, and the S9 Elite
The PR System One Series 60 CPAP Pro and System One Series 60 AutoCPAP

All of these machines are compatible with SleepyHead, which is free software developed by a person with OSA. SleepyHead is what many of us use to check our data since there's a lot more data than is provided to the user via the machine's LCD.

If you are paying out-of-pocket, the PR machines are typically cheaper if you are in the US. If you are paying with insurance, your out-of-pocket cost of all these machines will likely be the same if you are in the US.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
I've got some Craigslist leads for the ResMed AirSense 10 for her - 1 is unopened, the other is barely used because the person said she couldn't tolerate it.

If I go through with this (insurance already paid for the other 'brick' and it has been a tad over 2.5 months, so I probably can't return it), I will meet in a public place and have requested to exchange photo IDs with the one I've been in contact.

Also - I have cough-variant asthma and undifferentiated connective tissue disease (UCTD). One of the reasons I would like a data-capable machine is that both of these may affect pulmonary function. In particular, pulmonary fibrosis is associated, possibly caused by, UCTD. Changes over the long term may become identified earlier if I have the data streams available to evaluate.

Post Reply Post Reply
Have you looked at Supplier #2

They have used low hour machines and are clean and come with a warranty. They also have new opened box machines. You will need your prescription.

Although, I realize many buy from Craigslist, you never really know what you are getting.
My 2cents.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the Craigslist posts is unopened in box; allegedly the owner died before having a chance to use it.

I've not discussed this with the sleep doc yet; very busy this weekend helping with a convention and singing in the Verdi Requiem (Columbus, OH and it went pretty well).

Also, this will be out of pocket, so cost is an issue.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Beej,
If you do purchase a machine off of Craig's list, hopefully you can find one close to you so you can meet up with the owner to actually check it out, have them run it to make sure it's working ok.
Good luck to you with this situation. Oh by the way, WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I purchased a 'gently used' ResMed Auto Set P10 last year with very few hours on it. I am pleased with it and so far it has been working perfectly. Supplier number 2 tries very hard to make sure the buyer is satisfied with his/her purchase.
Post Reply Post Reply
I now have a ResMed AutoSense 10 for Her in my possession with 0 hours on it. Need to get it a memory card.
Should I try to download the existing data from the brick (Airsense 10 basic) to it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Any camera or computer store will have a suitable SD card.

2GB should be enough size wise to last a long time before it fills up with data.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,209 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question What O2 measurement device do you recommend? hejohoo 4 601 08-08-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Recommend SPO2 Device JohnHornbuckle 29 3,155 10-02-2022, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,799 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  Recommend me a mask BHappy 14 1,264 08-31-2022, 08:07 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,321 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Recommend a bacterial filter? OneSnorer 9 1,258 08-11-2021, 04:28 PM
Last Post: StratCat48

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.