Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

When are leaks too many?
When are leaks too many?
I have recently been experimenting with different masks (AirFit F30i, N30i, and P30i) and I notice that, even with mouth taping, there are more leaks with the nasal masks.  So, I was wondering, how much leaking is too much?  I feel just as rested with any of the three, though I spend more time waking up and adjusting the nasal and full face masks than the pillows.  My AHI - around 2-3 with mostly centrals - is similar too.  And I do not desaturate with the leaks.  Thank you for your thoughts!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: When are leaks too many?
Usually, it is considered that leaks above 24 are problematic and compromise your therapy.

But if a smaller leak annoys you up to waking you up, than it is probably too much.
If one blows right in your eyes and you end up with dried eyes, again it will be problematic no matter how big the leak is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Fish - two things
1) Please post your daily results page. That will get you better answers.
2) The experts will appreciate keeping your stuff all in one thread. That avoids wasting their time looking through multiple threads to get your entire picture.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, It has been awhile since I had a full night with the F30i, so I wore it last night for the full face mask (I played around with a couple set ups at the beginning of the night, so please ignore the short times at the start).  The second is a full night with the P30i with relatively few leaks.  If you look at the overview it is pretty obvious when I started using the nasal masks more consistently (8/25).

A summary of my mask journey:  Started with a Airfit F20 as I knew a was a mouth breather.  I felt amazingly better by the second night, but it bothered my nasal bridge and I could not get my reading glasses over it for late night texts.  So I switched to the F30i, which leaks more but is also more comfortable for me (strap covers are the key, BTW). When I was diagnosed I also got a mandibular advancement device in the hope it could substitute for the CPAP off the grid.  It doesn't (measured by O2 saturation), but it turns me from an obligate mouth breather to being able to use a nasal mask, hence my more recent experimentation with nasal masks. By the time I have a MAD in place and my lips taped, it is a toss-up whether the FF or either of the nasals is the the more comfortable.  

A summary of me: 61 y/o F with normal BMI and family history of apnea, living at 7000 ft.

Thank you!

Post Reply Post Reply
This would be an example of a leaky night:

Post Reply Post Reply
In first diagram large leaks were a little amount. And second diagram not very long time near 24 litres / minute. Quite good situation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Unidee, for your insight.  It is good to known the leaks are not too excessive.  You are correct, Heracles, the limiting factor is really how noisy the leak is and whether it wakes me up.  Unfortunately, the nasal masks are more of an issue there.  See, last night - the first half is a P30i and the second is an F30i.  All those sudden drops with the P are me waking up and closing my mouth, whether or not they are "significant" leaks.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 106 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 759 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.