Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

When do you know you have gotten used to therapy?
When do you know you have gotten used to therapy?
I have been on therapy for 2 months, and every night has been different and better. Four nights ago I had my first good night sleep. Fours of sleep and 4 hours comfortable restful semi sleep. The next 2 days were very similar. AHI = .7.

Last night AHI=2.5 and sleep was still good.

Back to the question, Does it eventually settle down to a consistency between sleep, AHI's, and nighttime surprises?
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: When do you know you have gotten used to therapy?
(05-17-2016, 06:30 PM)Rcgop Wrote: I have been on therapy for 2 months, and every night has been different and better. Four nights ago I had my first good night sleep. Fours of sleep and 4 hours comfortable restful semi sleep. The next 2 days were very similar. AHI = .7.

Last night AHI=2.5 and sleep was still good.

Back to the question, Does it eventually settle down to a consistency between sleep, AHI's, and nighttime surprises?

I does get easer and better as time passes
My experience was similar, although most say it is different for everyone. My first good night was around 8 weeks (2 months)
It has continued to improved. I occasionally get a blip in my AHI and I try to assign cause.

I would expect yours to continue to get better in the next few months. Hopefully you'll get to 5 hours of good sleep soon. Then 6 and eventually 7
Dancing
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2016, 06:30 PM)Rcgop Wrote: Does it eventually settle down to a consistency between sleep, AHI's, and nighttime surprises?

It does for the majority of people. After 6.5 years, I put the mask on and I'm like Pavlov's dog; I hook up the hose, press "start" and am asleep in minutes. Sleep-well
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I try to count to 10... sometimes I make it Sad Actually it's not that far off that but I've always been like that.

As for AHIs, I find mine yoyo's from under 1 to just below 2. After 3 months of this, I'm at the stage where I don't check the data daily Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
When you actually look forward to going to bed. Dreaming

When you wouldn't even think of pulling your mask off in the middle of the night.

When you wake up and can't tell if your machine is on, because you can't hear it.

When you wake up and touch your face to see if your mask is still on, because you don't feel it.

When you start to look for a second or backup machine just to have in case something happens to your Cpap, and you can't imagine being without it.

When you stop obsessing over the fact that your AHI reading will be different every night.
Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
likelike
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Rcgop! Sounds like you are on the right track!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2016, 06:30 PM)Rcgop Wrote: Does it eventually settle down to a consistency between sleep, AHI's, and nighttime surprises?

For me it's a process, not an event. My AHI varies, rarely going above 2, never above 3. Sometimes it's less than 1, sometimes almost zero. Some nights I sleep well, others I don't. Sometimes I never get out of bed at all night, other nights I'll get up three or four times.

There's a definite trend, though. The number of nights that are good is much much higher than it used to be, and the number of nights that are bad is much much lower than it used to be.

If I had to draw a line in the sand, I'd say it's the first time I woke up and had to feel the air jetting out of the mask ports to determine that the machine was on. At that point I knew I was going to make it. This was after decades of untreated sleep apnea followed by weeks of torture adapting to CPAP therapy. Life is so much better now. I don't know how I survided before CPAP therapy. Looking back, it was an awful time.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This helps a bunch. I think I made it 3 nights ago.

Thank to every one.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,072 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 168 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,359 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 26 816 03-22-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: jakespeare65

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.