Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rise Time on Respironics BiPAP ST (PR Sys One)
Rise Time on Respironics BiPAP ST (PR Sys One)
Hi, first thanks for this great site and thanks to supersleeper for the clinicians manuals!

I got a new BiPAP ST, the respironics PR System One last week. It's great except I can't sleep with it and my old one is pretty much shot. The only difference I can really tell is the rise time on the new one is longer than the old one. The old one (also a respironics) is set at a 100ms rise time (it has options of 1-6, 1 is 100ms). The new one only has options 1-3 and it feels like the 1 setting is twice as long as the old one (200ms). And I think this is my problem. The clinicians manual for the new machine doesn't specify what the 1-3 correspond to for the PR Sys One bipap st.

Does anyone know what the 1-3 correspond to? And is there a way to change it to 100ms, maybe via software? I didn't see anything on the sleepyhead software, but would the official software be able to do this? Or some other way?

Settings are IPAP 17, EPAP 4, BPM 16, inspiratory time 1.8 secs, rise time 1
Note: I pretty much use the backup rate all the time when sleeping (due to muscular dystrophy).
Thanks!
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rise Time on Respironics BiPAP ST (PR Sys One)
Are you sure the manual doesn't specify the rise time? I seem to recall that the 1, 2, and 3 corresponds to 200 ms, 400 ms, and 600 ms respectively, but I couldn't swear to it.

I googled "bipap st rise time" and found this on the second hit:

"The Rise Comfort is the time for the device to shift from EPAP to IPAP and can be adjusted in 150, 200, 300, 400msec."

At any rate, if you've got it set as low as it'll go I'm sure you'll adjust to it after a bit. It's supposed to be just a comfort setting. Have you fiddled with the Bi-Flex setting. I think the factory default is 2, so you might try lowering that to 1. I think it also changes the shape of the pressure curve. You should be able to read about all this in the clinician's manual.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the response! I looked at that link and the picture is a little different than mine. the center plate is dark/black on mine, so it might be different. But mine only has 3 settings. And the therapist that delivered the machine left the clinicians manual in it, and it doesn't mention any specifics on the rise time. The manual is the same as the one I downloaded here.

I looked at the Bi-Flex and it is only for S mode, and I'm using S/T, and mostly in the timed part of the ST.

The problem is that I feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen with the current settings, hopefully I'll get used to it soon, but will be seeing the sleep doc again this friday..

Is there a way to get the EncorePro software? I'm wondering if that might be able to set what the numbers refer to.

Post Reply Post Reply
What's the model number of your machine?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi InfiniteReality and WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you with your new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the welcome!

It says BiPAP S/T, C-Series, DOM on the bottom
REF: 1061401

My mom called respironics and talked to a clinician. They said none of the current models of bipaps support lower than 200ms. The 1-3 corresponds to 200, 300, 400ms. So at least that verifies what I was feeling and I can tell the sleep center they are wrong when they say the settings are the same as the old one.

At least last night I slept for a few hours.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 201 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 0 89 03-13-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 546 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 226 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 181 28,809 03-10-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 142 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 753 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.