Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

When is it time to get another sleep study done.
When is it time to get another sleep study done.
When I took my first sleep study, I had a horrible sinus infection which blocked almost all airflow through my nose. I ended up with a AHI of 14, with 42 during the REM sleep from that study. Since then I have had sinus surgery and have had drastic improvements in airflow through the nose. I have been slowly dialing down the max pressure of my APAP and have noticed no change in AHI (<1.5 nightly). I am now at a min of 5.4 with a max of 9.0. Avg is 7.0.

Should I go get another study to see if I still have apnea after the surgery? I will have to pay a little out of pocket, but worth it if i can ditch the machine. Should I continue to dial down the pressure if I still have good results?

Thank you for your time.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: When is it time to get another sleep study done.
Since the diagnosis imposes restrictions on you that affect your career, I think a re-test is definitely warranted. One approach may be to do a relatively inexpensive home sleep test as a screening tool. If you fail that, you won't likely pass a true PSG. There is plenty of reason to believe your nasal obstruction, corrected through surgery, could account for enough of your mild obstructive sleep apnea to warrant a re-test. A PSG test is the only one that will likely be accepted to remove restrictions on your license.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input. What about slowly dialing back the pressure? If get to a point that the pressure is so low and I still have a low AHI wouldn't that mean the CPAP isn't doing much?
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe; but would the doc take that and state you no longer needed it? Don't know.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2016, 10:39 AM)duece12345 Wrote: Thanks for the input. What about slowly dialing back the pressure? If get to a point that the pressure is so low and I still have a low AHI wouldn't that mean the CPAP isn't doing much?

The lowest pressure the machine is capable of is 4 cm. I don't know why, but even though that is positive pressure, I invariably feel starved for volume at that pressure. It's not a realistic test of your AHI without therapy at all, but feel free to try. In your case a "do-over" would be interesting because of the relatively mild nature of your apnea originally and the fact you should have resolved at least nasal obstruction with the surgery. It's not an option for most of us.

Wish you best of luck. Give the surgery plenty of time to heal and to settle down. I would avoid the CPAP for at least 3 days prior to the test. Just like changes with CPAP therapy, suddenly stopping for the test would probably not yield very good results. Don't stay off for so long that you fall out of compliance for the current 90 day period or whatever is checked.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
duece12345 -

I am on very low therapy pressure. But my AHI when not treated is severe. Therapy pressure is also related to your uvula structure. The pressure increases to open the airway. In my case, I only needed a little pressure to open the airway. My nightly average is less than 6. Last night it was 5.44 (median). Without therapy however I have severe OSA. You may be in the same boat as me.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting. I may need the CPAP just at a low pressure. Thanks for all the replies
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2016, 10:39 AM)duece12345 Wrote: Thanks for the input. What about slowly dialing back the pressure? If get to a point that the pressure is so low and I still have a low AHI wouldn't that mean the CPAP isn't doing much?

The lowest pressure is 4 cm. If you still have a low AHI then it's inconclusive. If you have a high AHI than it is conclusive -- you still need CPAP therapy.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 226 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 205 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 530 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,425 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.