Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: When is your cleaning day?
This poll is closed.
Monday
8.16%
4 8.16%
Tuesday
0%
0 0%
Wednesday
0%
0 0%
Thursday
2.04%
1 2.04%
Friday
0%
0 0%
Saturday
34.69%
17 34.69%
Sunday
20.41%
10 20.41%
No special day
34.69%
17 34.69%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

When is your cleaning day?
When is your cleaning day?
Do you have a special day of the week where you wash the equipment (mask, hose, humidifier water tub) or you wash on need basis or might be a shift worker just wash when got spare time.
..........................................................................................
I wash the mask daily and the rest on Sundays
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: When is your cleaning day?
(04-07-2012, 07:01 PM)zonk Wrote: Do you have a special day of the week where you wash the equipment (mask, hose, humidifier water tub) or you wash on need basis or might be a shift worker just wash when got spare time.
..........................................................................................
I wash the mask daily and the rest on Sundays

I wash the mask daily and rinse the humidifier daily. I didn't know we were supposed to wash the hose. How does one wash the hose?
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2012, 07:51 PM)pssnn Wrote: I wash the mask daily and rinse the humidifier daily. I didn't know we were supposed to wash the hose. How does one wash the hose?

Easiest way I found to clean the hose is as follows: Partially fill hose with soapy water (I use warm water and a little Dawn), raise and lower an end so that the water travels fully throughout the hose. Shake, etc.. Empty, rinse and repeat (if so inclined). There are less water issues if done in a shower. Does a good job, although you can also buy brushes (see Supplier #1), but only in standard diameter. I have not found any in 15mm.

Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
I wash my hose as JumpStart mentioned and hooked it to the kitchen hot water mixer tap and let run for while and hang it to dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2012, 07:01 PM)zonk Wrote: Do you have a special day of the week where you wash the equipment (mask, hose, humidifier water tub) or you wash on need basis or might be a shift worker just wash when got spare time.

(Failed to include my response to survey in my prior post.)

I clean on weekends, although my survey response was Saturday. Might add "weekend" as a choice to the survey. Anyway...

Daily - clean mask with a mask wipe, hang hose over shower to dry, refill (not empty, just add) water to humidifier.

Weekends - disassemble and wash mask, headgear, humidifier tub and hose in warm soapy water. Don't have a cleanable H5i tub, so swish vigorously with soapy water and rinse several times. Let all dry on a clean towel.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
I voted for "no special day" because you didn't include "every leap-year day" as an option. Bigwink
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I usually clean my mask every morning in a sink filled with warm water and a squirt of liquid Ivory soap. On Saturdays, I generally wash everything including the mask, my Padacheek liner, headgear and hose. Also, I was opening up and washing the water tank weekly (see You Tube video) but starting about 2 weeks ago, I stopped using the humidifier and am only using the blower unit on my S9 Autoset so haven't had to clean the water tank anymore.

We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I wipe my mask down every day with a cotton pad hydrogen peroxide. I clean the hose the way JumpStart suggests every Sunday along with my mask, filters, and humidifier tank. One Sunday I didn't clean the hose and a few days later I noticed my system didn't smell fresh. There was no mold or anything visible. It just didn't smell fresh. Must be the fragrance of the mild shampoo I use wore off. I washed everything the next morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please please please get into the habit of washing the hose. Replace it as often as you can. Back when I started, they did not replace hoses but once a year or more.

I became ill with what we thought were really bad allergies. I was sneezing my head off. Bad congestion, watery eyes, ears started clogging. I was having to use my rescue inhaler for asthma a lot more than ever. It would back off sometimes then come back just as bad. That's when I started using nasal rinses thinking it was allergies. I was on several allergy meds but nothing was working. I went on vacation to Disney with my family and was surprised to be still sick there! Finally narrowed it down to the CPAP since it was the only thing in both places (we'd already checked the detergent). The DME said there's not much in there to get nasty (my machine was at least 6 by then) but they'd send me a new hose, mask, etc to narrow it down further. Two days later, it was basically gone. I put my old mask back on. Nothing. Put the hose on, I woke up very ill.

Since then, my DME sends me a new hose every 3 months. In the winter, I rinse the hose with vinegar solution every other week.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am definately washing my hose weekly starting tomorrow! I guess I thought it wasnt needed because it was heated. Thanks all for the heads-up.
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 222 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,795 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 606 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 756 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.