Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: When is your cleaning day?
This poll is closed.
Monday
8.16%
4 8.16%
Tuesday
0%
0 0%
Wednesday
0%
0 0%
Thursday
2.04%
1 2.04%
Friday
0%
0 0%
Saturday
34.69%
17 34.69%
Sunday
20.41%
10 20.41%
No special day
34.69%
17 34.69%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

When is your cleaning day?
RE: When is your cleaning day?
When I first started using a CPAP, I'd wash it daily until my sleep doc told me it was okay to only wash it weekly.

Currently, I wash my mask and humidifier reservoir every Sunday morning followed by a 15-minute soak in diluted white vinegar. The hose gets a wash and vinegar treatment about once a month, usually at the same time I change the filter.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
In 10 years I've never washed the hose. I replace the hose when I get a new CPAP. I replace the nasal pillows when I get around to it. When I use the humidifier I rinse it out when I add more tap water. I have washed the air filters but not on a regular basis. I'm the only one using this equipment, I don't see the need to waste too much time cleaning it. I do dust the outside of the machine on Saturdays when I dust everything on my night stand. I didn't vote because you didn't have never.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2012, 11:08 PM)Cutter Wrote: In 10 years I've never washed the hose. I replace the hose when I get a new CPAP. I replace the nasal pillows when I get around to it. When I use the humidifier I rinse it out when I add more tap water. I have washed the air filters but not on a regular basis. I'm the only one using this equipment, I don't see the need to waste too much time cleaning it. I do dust the outside of the machine on Saturdays when I dust everything on my night stand. I didn't vote because you didn't have never.

Cutter, please tell me that the above statements are a joke!! You ever heard of bacteria forming on unwashed surfaces? How often do you get colds, sinus infections, bronchitis? Even the owner's manuals tell you to wash your equipment on a regular basis.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do a weekly cleaning, usually just with hot water. Once a month, when I change the filters, I do a vinegar rinse and take the mask apart.

If you don't use a humidifier, cleaning the hose is not as important. The only moisture in it is from your breath and from the air.
Post Reply Post Reply
Saturday mornings I clean the hose. A little soft-soap in the hose and warm water from the sink. I put my thumbs on each end of hose and slosh it around 10 times. Then hold end of hose on bathtub spigot and run water for 10 seconds thru hose. Hang to dry and all set for another week.

I clean the mask every morning with a little soft-soap in the sink for a couple of minutes. I air dry the cpap mask on a banana ripener (works perfect for full face masks).

Humidifier I just empty the water left over each morning and let it air dry. I use distilled water.

Been doing it this way for the past 5 years and have not died yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find that if I don't wash the hose every few days I start getting a bad odor.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My mask comes with an automated washing system.....Its called a tongueToo-funnyLaugh-a-lot

I wash mine whenever it needs doing, I guess some dreams are dirtier than othersToo-funnyThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2012, 11:32 PM)bobg1946 Wrote:
(04-07-2012, 11:08 PM)Cutter Wrote: In 10 years I've never washed the hose. I replace the hose when I get a new CPAP. I replace the nasal pillows when I get around to it. When I use the humidifier I rinse it out when I add more tap water. I have washed the air filters but not on a regular basis. I'm the only one using this equipment, I don't see the need to waste too much time cleaning it. I do dust the outside of the machine on Saturdays when I dust everything on my night stand. I didn't vote because you didn't have never.

Cutter, please tell me that the above statements are a joke!! You ever heard of bacteria forming on unwashed surfaces? How often do you get colds, sinus infections, bronchitis? Even the owner's manuals tell you to wash your equipment on a regular basis.

Sorry, I'm not joking. I seldom get colds, sinus infections or bronchitis. I'm allergic to ragweed in the fall. If you don't challenge the immune system, it will be weak when you need it. However, I don't recommend my lack of cleaning to anyone. Especially, if you have heath problems.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think that the washing of a hose is probably more critical for those that use heated humidifiers... much more likelihood of bad stuff growing in a moist environment.

I don't use a humidifier at all, so don't need to wash quite as often (at least that's my excuse....er... I mean theory). Bigwink

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I wash the mask and forehead pad everyday, take apart the mask and wash all pieces on Sunday and the mask, hose, humidifier chamber and try to remember the filter on Thursday (my day off)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,744 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 145 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 227 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,888 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 204 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 402 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 646 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.