Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

When should I expect AHI to decrease?
When should I expect AHI to decrease?
Started two months ago on BiPap, took one month to finally get a mask that fit correctly. My Ahi is at 50; I'm still experiencing a lot of symptoms. What should my expectations be regarding relief?

Still horrible anxiety attacks/nightmares although some increase in energy. Still do not sleep through the night. 100% compliance on my part.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: When should I expect AHI to decrease?
Two months on bipap and an AHI of 50?

First, fill out your profile with more detail, the exact model number of your machine.
The pressure your bipap is set at, including the pressure support.

Are you using software? If not, download Sleepyhead (link at top of page), then download some data from your SD card, then someone here who has experience with BiPap machines will be able to help you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2015, 03:15 PM)NVGirl Wrote: Started two months ago on BiPap, took one month to finally get a mask that fit correctly. My Ahi is at 50; I'm still experiencing a lot of symptoms. What should my expectations be regarding relief?

Still horrible anxiety attacks/nightmares although some increase in energy. Still do not sleep through the night. 100% compliance on my part.

Thanks!

If you have consistent AHI = 50, I would regard your treatment as mostly ineffective. There are likely all kinds of adjustments that need to be made, including but not limited to your pressure(s).

Please post more information and complete your profile, as AHI is only one of many parameters that need to considered.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to ApneaBoard NVGirl! Glad you found us. Hopefully you'll get lots of ideas on how to make your therapy MUCH better!

For one, are you a mouth breather when sleeping? Wondering if that is why you have the Mirage Quattro FFM. A lot of people here much prefer nasal pillows and from what I've read (having never worn a FFM) you may get a better seal with them than a FFM. Or you could try getting a liner for your mask.

Keep us posted!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi NVGirl,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang around for more suggestions and answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Your profile indicates you have a BiPAP S/T. This model is normally prescribed for COPD and other obstructive pulmonary patients. If the intention was to treat central apenea, then you needed the BiPAP Auto SV.

We need to determine what kind of sleep apnea you were diagnosed with. You may have the wrong machine, and with an AHI of 50, it's my opinion your concerns should be shared with your doctor. You are not being treated, and it would not be the first time that a supplier provided the wrong machine thinking it was okay. If you need a Model 960 Auto SV, get it. Call your doc tomorrow and get to the bottom of this. The model 1060 S/T will not provide data that can be seen in Sleepyhead, so it's going to be very hard to help you on this forum.

Do you have COPD or other pulmonary issues that would indicate this machine? What can you tell us about your sleep study?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2015, 03:15 PM)NVGirl Wrote: Started two months ago on BiPap, took one month to finally get a mask that fit correctly. My Ahi is at 50; I'm still experiencing a lot of symptoms. What should my expectations be regarding relief?

Thanks!

NVGirl, welcome to the forum. With 50 events per hour, I think we can all agree that your therapy is not working. Your expectations as a new user should be (1) to have some challenges finding a mask that fits well, is comfortable, and doesn't leak, then when you get that part sorted out (2) you should expect to get immediate relief.

The forum is a pretty good place to find answers. But to find good answers, you need to provide lots of good information. First, look on the bottom of your machine for a label that has the serial number. Somewhere on that label it should say the model of the machine you have. We need to know that. Hopefully, it will be something like 1061420, and your machine will look something like this--
[Image: 03B5CEB25E4DFB2AFD09DE08927F30103D3BED35.jpg]

If that's the right machine, then the next thing you need to tell us is what settings are programmed into the machine. You can find out (with the machine plugged in but not running) by turning the big dial to "Setup" then pushing down on the big dial and and on the ramp button (the little button with the triangle symbol on it) and hold those both down until the machine beeps (takes about 5 seconds.) Once that happens, you can release both, then turn the big dial to "Setup" again. That's where you'll find all the settings. (after you write down all the settings, be sure to use the dial to "Exit" -- or simply unplug the machine, then plug it back in.)

That's the first step. The next step is as OpalRose instructed. You need to download the SleepyHead software, figure out how to install it on your computer, then transfer your sleep data from the machine to the computer. If you don't know how to do any of that, don't worry, you're not alone. Just let us know which part you're having trouble with and we'll tell you how to do it in more detail.

At some point, you'll probably want to get yourself a manual for your machine. Lots of info about that here--
CPAP Setup Manuals (clicky)

Unless you have something really unusual going on, we should be able to help you get your AHI down to single digits pretty quick. The nightmares suck, no doubt about it!

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2015, 03:40 PM)Possum Wrote: If you have consistent AHI = 50, I would regard your treatment as mostly ineffective. There are likely all kinds of adjustments that need to be made, including but not limited to your pressure(s).

Ditto on that.

I struggled for the first few months with settings that were less than effective. I had AHI numbers of 14-15 for a long time. It took me about 6-8 months to get below 10, and about a year to get below 5 (AHI).
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I was lucky by the sounds of it. Started at 98 and then down to around 2-5 straight away after treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night, don't know what to expect Albo1950 4 545 07-23-2023, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Albo1950
  What can I expect from the DVLA (UK) after reporting OSA? Quarky68 1 655 06-21-2023, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Kingsway
  [CPAP] How to decrease pressure on Aircurve 10 Vauto? Kabukiman 7 883 05-11-2023, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Kabukiman
  What to expect from DME Sorfosh 10 1,073 03-24-2023, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Sorfosh
  AHI usually higher in first hours of sleep, then decrease later JUllian 5 1,108 10-10-2020, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can use some advice on what to expect and what to do first. triemferent 15 1,628 09-27-2020, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Blocking mask exhaust: A way to decrease centrals? drmaestro 4 1,303 06-03-2020, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.