Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

When to get a new machine
When to get a new machine
Hello all,

I wondering when do you all recommend getting a new cpap machine?  How many years do you figure a machine should be good for if you are using it every night and also are there signs to watch for for when it is starting to lose performance?  Do the blowers tend to lose power over time?  

Thanks
Ray
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: When to get a new machine
Welcome to the Apnea Board.

I typically consider 5 years and 15-20K hours as about the lifespan of a PAP. If yours is at these or past, get ready to replace soon. I'd suggest you try for a ResMed instead. These are able to offer better and more comfortable therapy as the ResMed acts faster to combat events. This faster response allows a bit lower pressure and still have good therapy results.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Conventional wisdom is a machine is reliable as long as it works...at least according to insurance companies. Most insurance anticipates replacement after 5-years, or when a non-repairable malfunction happens. If my machine is over 15,000 hours, I'm getting serious about a replacement, and that is 5-years of 8-hours per day, plus some cool-down. If you wait until it no longer functions, that is critical for some of us. A standby machine is a great idea if you can do it. Mean time between failure is probably between 5 and 8 years of normal use. Don't wait for the clock to tick to zero.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the above but it also depends upon your financial situation and insurance. When your machine is getting older it is a good idea to get a new or newer one and use the old one as a back up. If you have time on your hand you can get some excellent deals on craigslist.

car54
Post Reply Post Reply
I was wondering the same thing.

I am coming up on the end of the 4th year, and have used my Philips bipap for an average of 358 days a yr, about 5.7 hrs per night, for a total of 8160 hrs.

Its not showing any signs of wearing down yet. I have an old Philips System One 750P that I bought about 6 yr ago on Craigslist with about half as many hours and I still use it as a backup and on trips (which are very few).

I noticed the other day that the machines are coming down in price, and are now about half of what they were 4 or so years ago. I notice the same thing in hearing aids, as I have to have for hearing loss.

Is this price decline expected to continue or is this just a "blip in the curve"?
PAP Mode: VPAP-S
EPAP 8.4 IPAP 10.6 
ave AHI = .5 (so far)
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd think the downward trend in the price is linked to the age of the machine generation.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know where you guys are seeing price reduction. We used to easily find machines under $500 before Amazon got serious about keeping them off their site. Prices went up significantly on the open market after that, and have dropped back only slightly from what I have seen. Keep in mind, the manufacturers only sell through their distribution network, and it is the machines that find their way out of that channel that are available other than through DMEs and online authorized sellers. With minimum advertised price enforcement, you just don't see a lot of "deals".
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW my price comment is only applicable to member packtheknife's post on seeing pricing going down. I myself have not seen any downward trend on PAP machine pricing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,
Thinking to buy an extra for using at home and my friend’s home no need to bring along with. Had any problems be with my Medicare insurance watching time of machine use?
Isn’t that true that Medicare pay for new machine every 5 years?
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have already mentioned, I see some very good deals from time to time on CL.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,148 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,790 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,249 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.