Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

When to get a new machine
Brick 
RE: When to get a new machine
The Resmed machines let you know when the blower motor has reached what they consider to be max operating hours. I can't remember how many that was for my S9 Elite, but it was working fine.

I nevertheless replaced it soon afterwards so that I would have a backup machine.

I am a firm believer in the law that says having insurance significantly reduces the chances of needing insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I don't think Medicare does that anymore.

The machine must be malfunctioning and one must prove it to them. They will replace it only if its not reparable, or that is what I've been told (on another forum)
PAP Mode: VPAP-S
EPAP 8.4 IPAP 10.6 
ave AHI = .5 (so far)
Post Reply Post Reply
My question is : " If I used two machine, ( buying an extra from a deal on craigslist ) How would my sleep doctor know the timing of using it on extra machine? " Or Medicare not caring about this anymore as long as you use it for couple months at beginning? Could some one clear my thought?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your DME may be able to register the extra machine on AirView so they can send compliance reports. If the machine has not been registered on MyAir you should be able to get that data which is good for compliance. If either of those two options do not work, then you can use the SD cards to transmit data, or combine the machines in OSCAR and provide your own reports.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2020, 10:46 AM)packtheknife Wrote: No, I don't think Medicare does that anymore.

The machine must be malfunctioning and one must prove it to them.  They will replace it only if its not reparable, or that is what I've been told (on another forum)

Sorry to disagree, but I recently replaced my working S9 Autoset with an Airsense 10 Autoset for Her.  Medicare and Insurance are handling the costs.  I've retired the S9 Autoset to backup duty.  The S9 was working well, and had a little less than 16,000 run hours on it.  The Airsense 10 is being handled as a 13-month rent-to-own, with Medicare paying 80%, and Medicare Supplement insurance paying the remainder.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
I owned my Cpap for 51/2 years went to my supplier wanting a new machine. They told me I could not have a new one unless the old one was not working. They went on to say if it were dropped or had water damage it could be replaced. I bought a used one from Supplier #2. I used it for a week and took my Oscar results to my Dr (both the old machine and new one a VAUTO). He looked at both and wrote a RX for the VAUTO. I then submitted the bill an RX to my insurance and was reimbursed in full for the VAUTO.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the advice, I have had my machine now for around 4 years. Don't know the exact hours but I use it every night for an average of about 6 hours. The main thing I am wondering are what are the signs to watch for when a machine is getting old and at the end of its lifespan? Is it a case of one day it will just die or do they start to lose power slowly over time and stop working efficiently.
The reason I ask this is cause I noticed the other day that I don't notice or feel the air pressure that much anymore. If I pull the nasal pillows off there is definitely air blowing out of them but I just am not sure if I am just so used to the pressure now that I don't feel it or is the pressure starting to lose power as the machine gets older.
I don't have traditional insurance but rather have a certain amount each year that I can get reimbursed for medical/dental expenses, I have about $600 left for this year that needs to be used up before the end of the year or I lose it. I might just get a new machine now if I can find a good price on it and then I can use my current as a backup or travelling machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ray, your machine will probably last at least 6 years, but there is a great deal of peace of mind in owning a backup device. The worst time to need a machine is when you no longer have one that works. My machine now has about 16,600 hours and my 5 years comes up this February, and I anticipate a bit of a hassle with the DME and Medicare to get it replaced. It was no problem before I transitioned to Medicare.

If you want to use up your medical account, please consider my recommendation that you purchase the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset from Supplier #2 who is selling that unit for $538 (new in-box). It's a significant upgrade to your Dreamstation Auto CPAP because it is more comfortable, faster to respond before events occur and actually has a bilevel pressure capability that is effectively therapeutic. You would even have enough leftover for a mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I  have increasing morning Sleep Inertia which is  interfering with my life despite  compliance and 7-9 hours uninterrupted Sleep on Auto Pap.
 As a result I am considering switching from Phillips Dream Station 2018 to  a Resmed Airsense 10 FOR HER as it suggests a different algorithm for Women's breathing patterns. It is more expensive.
 Any thoughts on the difference in Algorithm  for her or is that marketing ?

After three years finally have AHI sometimes below 5 on Pressure from 10-12.   Four Doctors  ( Pulmonologist, neurologist, Sleep Certified  and a March 2020 Sleep Titration kept setting the AutoPAP at a fixed Pressure despite my advising them that my Aetna Medicare Insurance Clinical Policy does not require a fixed Pressure when it is AutoPAP.  I was trying to get a new sleep stufy and MLST for idiopathic hypersomnia to then get the "appropriate stimulant" since Amphetamines are not working.

At this point I am ready to just buy the  Resmed machine ( and forego Insurance) and if it does not work get the Doctor to reevaluate for Centrals to  it on the BiPap setting. I am too tired to let this drag on another year.

I also am in the process of getting a home sleep study though LOFTA. self pay $189. However, the Itamar WatchPat One disposable device is not  Bluetooth compatible with my Motorola G6 (my other devices, the Dreamstation and my Phonak hearing aids are compatible). Itamar admits they have not worked with Motorola to make it compatible).

I am hoping Lofta sends me the WatchPat 200 or 300 home study to use and get a more thorough Sleep Report to determine  what else is causing the Sleep Inertia. ( I know I have PLM but that's not treatable). 

Basically I need to try to get  the best algorithm and stimulant for my. condition.  Thanks for your comments.
Post Reply Post Reply
As in a previous post, the Supplier #2 has new and slightly used machines for sale at a fraction of what a DME charges. Great company and great machines. (Res med airecurve s10 autoset or for her)
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,074 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,884 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,351 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,804 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,296 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.