Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

When to go bi-level?
When to go bi-level?
Not that long ago, I was able to shift my max pressure down to 17. Now I hit that as my low and am back up to 20 for max. I don't sit there all night, but long enough in my opinion.

I've had several medication changes, one of which caused me to gain the weight I had lost. Now will be even harder to get it off and keep it that way. Oh well.

But how to justify getting one or if I even need one? Will I need another sleep test (shudder)? I still have Medicare and Medicaid. In a year, I'll be on my fiance's Blue Cross federal.(we had to put our wedding off)
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: When to go bi-level?
Justifying bilevel therapy is mostly just a matter of establishing discomfort or intolerance to high pressure (above 15 cm) required under CPAP, or some medical necessity (poor efficacy) for bilevel pressure. In your case, pressure is high enough that bilevel can probably be justified if you make the case that comfort is poor. I don't recall your charts, but if you tolerate pressure support, bilevel can be much easier to tolerate than CPAP. Your current machine uses EPR so you have a limited bilevel pressure available to you. With Medicare and Medicaid the medical necessity for CPAP or bilevel is established by your diagnostic sleep study that shows your untreated sleep apnea meets the criteria for therapy.

Nowhere does Medicare stipulate a titration sleep study, rather they require that the benefits of therapy be established by a face to face encounter with your doctor and that you meet minimum use requirement to establish compliance. In theory, you should be able to discuss your comfort and efficacy concerns for using CPAP and make a case for bilevel based on your high requirement for pressure and having your doctor prescribe the bilevel. You know the drill, it will be denied the first time, then approved after your doctor appeals. If you want us to take a look at current therapy charts we're here to help.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My doc would agree to it. But I just got the A10 within the last year or so. I'd have to pay out of pocket.

AHI is still below 5 and nearly all of them below 4. But I'm hitting the 20 max. And we've played around with the idea here that a bilevel would help with the flow limits and my centrals.

I use the EPR at 2. I did an experiment a long time ago to see how I did with it on 1 and 3. I've slept since then and can't remember the results. May try it again. I have no difficulty breathing out, though.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if it helps any, but I'm thinking the BPAP would afford higher Max IPAP up to 25 if that's something deemed necessary.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 85 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 466 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 587 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  For those that have switched from PAP to Bi-level... CPAPnerd 7 431 01-23-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Extremely rapid breathing on bi-level (28 resp. rate) Too Sleepy 52 4,467 01-01-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Fixit50

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.