Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

When to increase pressure
RE: When to increase pressure
You could try to slowly increase that lower number, either by half a point or a full one. Wait about a week or more between raises.

Have you raised the head of your bed? Some do it by putting boards under the feet of the headboard. Others put something between the bed and the mattress. Whatever works for you and your bed style.

And yes, Zonk, the more I think about it, the more I think I will leave it alone for a while longer. Wait to see if it calms down once the new medication is fully working.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2013, 08:25 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You could try to slowly increase that lower number, either by half a point or a full one. Wait about a week or more between raises.
Good idea. But I've only been using the Activa LT for a few nights and I'd like to wear it for over a week, to get "used to" it, before I change the pressure. Still, I'm a bit concerned about increasing it, with aerophagia.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2013, 07:39 PM)zonk Wrote: at times swap with the SoftGel cushion which fit on the same frame as Active LT but prefer the LT, feel lighter
Yes I have the SoftGel cushion as well, but I think I'll hold off on using it until I feel like a change.
Post Reply Post Reply
The air will pass (no pun intended) as you get used to it. Previously, whenever my pressure was changed, I'd sit up each morning and could belch the alphabet. The dogs would stare at me. Not sure if they were in awe or embarrassed.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2013, 07:09 PM)GaryG Wrote: So I've raised the minimum to 7, and could go higher (as my 95% pressures now are around 12-13 but I'm getting some mild aerophagia.

But the thing is, that damn aerophagia is keeping me from increasing my minimum.

Hi GaryG,

I think raising your minimum number will probably not increase aerophagia at all. It is at times of high pressure that air is pushed into the wrong passage and swallowed.

But raising the minimum could perhaps help avoid some hypopneas. Also, a more consistent pressure might occasionally help avoid some central apneas, if you sometimes get any of those.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am running around 15-17cm and the aerophagia is going to happen.
I spend the first hour awake each day, "venting off the excess"

Small price to pay for the improvements elsewhere. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
read somewhere that if the maximum pressure used for more than 10% of therapy time, this may be indication that maximum should be increased
also for pressure above 15, bi-level recommended Dont-know

don,t know how medication especially anti-depressant affect cpap therapy
really this stuff is above my pay grade. its been said if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting rule of thumb, zonk. I wonder how you'd find that out? Just eye ball it?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for the compliment
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6ByBuGxFocn29ykojOZs...iKkmWHPmAA]

Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk: Anti-depressants can cause depression of the central nervous system, and therefore CSA, but it depends on the type of anti-depressants and a lot on how the body tolerates them, so I can't give a general rule - each type has a set of specific types of side effects, and they generally are pretty exclusive to the genre of anti-depressant.

This is true of course for most meds, but anti-depressants have a habit of being more reactive with the body, causing more pronounced side effects, and they don't mix well with other drugs - and worse with alternative medicines, so stay the heck away from St. John's Wort and the like, as it can cause toxic effects when mixed with certain classes of drugs. As noted in another thread, some countries in Europe regularly prescribe herbal medicines (including Switzerland) and we have learned through hard experience that these things aren't harmless. There was at one point some discussion of making certain herbals, like St. John's Wort, available only under prescription.

All drugs that have an effect on the central nervous system or the breathing centres or mucous membranes can have effects on sleep quality and queer the therapeutic effects of CPAP - in some cases they can cause the need for CPAP therapy even. So don't take them lightly and unless clearly written on the prescription, don't take near the sleeping hour. Also, unless clearly instructed, don't take different classes of drugs together unless they are meant to help each other (one example would be combined Lysitril and Amilopidin - the latter opens the blood vessels so the former, both for blood pressure, regulates the pressure and keeps the latter from collapsing the systolic pressure altogether). But I would not take them and aspirin together, even low dose, as it could actually cause the BP pills to raise the pressure rather than lower it. Taking them two or three hour s apart helps to diminish that problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 4 81 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 154 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,270 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet
  [Pressure] More tired after pressure increase EndarSpire 8 433 02-09-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] DreaamStation Stays at virtually constant pressure; Significant AHI increase Tom Buck 6 406 01-06-2024, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,216 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,643 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.