Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

When to replace hose etc?
When to replace hose etc?
I've been stable a long time with my setup. But ... noticing more problems keeping hose and nasal pillow clean. Seems to be getting funky more often. Could that be a sign the plastic material is going bad?? Don't see any discoloration at all. Current parts are a year old.

(wash with soap/water and have special wipes. )
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: When to replace hose etc?
Go for a swap I'd say. These parts last longer than the DME would tell us, but if you've got a year out of them, and the parts might be contributing to any questionable negative thing, probably retire the old ones.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still using the original hose that came with my machine. That was Sept. of 2018. It still looks fine, as far as I can tell. It gets a good wash about every two weeks or so. 

No funky smell, discoloration, or anything. As others have already mentioned, I'm finding that my CPAP parts last a lot longer than my DME supplier would suggest.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW my first hose (Resmed heated) lasted four or five years. The only reason I replaced it was that the mask connector had worn and the mask kept pulling off, otherwise it was still perfect.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could this be environmental? The bedroom seems dry and clean.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there a pulp mill, a coal-fired plant, something that might emit sulfuric fumes nearby?  That might be the environmental factor.  Otherwise, I don't know.

How often do you change your filter?

BTW, I'm using the same N20 mask and the same Climateline hose I was issued when I first started CPAP 25 months ago. I don't clean mine very often, mask maybe twice a month, the hose and headgear about once every four weeks...just 'cuz.
Post Reply Post Reply
The filter changing is another issue, because I don't see any buildup of dirt. Maybe the crud is the same color as the filter material. I'll change it anyway!
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, the filter is the only item I change frequently, monthly is typical.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a mold allergy or sensitivity, change your hose every 6mos. Keep the old one as backup and toss the one you had as backup for it.

If you clean things regularly, and prevent any mold from growing, they last for as long as you can maintain them. For me, it's the ends of the hoses (where they attach to other hoses or whatev) that give out first.

If your hose is smooth on the inside, it should be even better. If it has ripples or grooves, change it every 6 mos.

Changing the filter is more important. Not because it keeps stuff out of your nose, but because the machine has to work harder if the filter is clogged.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I asked my doc to have Lincare send me a heated hose. She said sure but don’t get anymore unless you want spares because with proper care it will last for years. I already had one but figured I’d make it easier and have it show every 3 months but since it’ll last for years why bother. I soak mine in hot soapy water for 45 mins every week so it should last forever. Except for the one I stepped on and broke the copper wire. Don’t do that  Too-funny
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 86 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 245 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 578 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.