Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

When to replace hose etc?
RE: When to replace hose etc?
I think I have four ResMed heated hoses on hand, and yet another one on it's way.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2020, 05:39 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I think I have four ResMed heated hoses on hand, and yet another one on it's way.  Oh-jeez

Why?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have insurance and my DME supplier is pretty good about keeping me stocked up on parts when I'm due them.
Post Reply Post Reply
When my mate got her first CPAP years ago she washed the hose, tank and mask every day in warm soapy water. Now we both use machines and clean them once a week. We live in the high desert with low humidity so not much worry about mold.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
I have three or four heated hoses, and alternate them. They seem to last a long time, but I prefer to keep backups of everything. You never know when something goes bad.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I replace the hose when the cat punctures it with his teeth.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2020, 03:12 PM)Osiris357 Wrote: I asked my doc to have Lincare send me a heated hose. She said sure but don’t get anymore unless you want spares because with proper care it will last for years. I already had one but figured I’d make it easier and have it show every 3 months but since it’ll last for years why bother. I soak mine in hot soapy water for 45 mins every week so it should last forever. Except for the one I stepped on and broke the copper wire. Don’t do that  Too-funny

That's how I kill mine.  I step on it.  Not deliberately, but it just happens.  I end up replacing my hose yearly because of that.  I'm hoping with the new night table, with the hose coming out the back, I won't be stepping on it any longer. Another reason that I had to chuck a hose was it grew algae. Hose sat on the bed during the day and with sunlight, encouraged such growth despite regular washing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the same heated hose for almost 5 years now and it is just like new .  I have a spare on hand in case I ever need it .
I only wash the hose once every 3 months or so and have never noticed anything in it like mold , etc .
Post Reply Post Reply
I am still using the same heated hose I got 2 years. I think I've washed it once or twice. My husband has used the same unheated hose since he got his machine 3 years ago and doesn't wash it. He is replacing it, along with his mask, because he went to his parents' house and his machine/mask/hose REEK of smoke (his father is a smoker)! His previous machine, which he had for maybe 7 years, he used the same unheated hose and never washed it. Different people have different standards. Bottom line, you need to do what makes YOU comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 83 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 245 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,288 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.