Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

When to replace mask cushion
When to replace mask cushion
Had my mask for almost 2 months.... Even after I wash it, it still looks kind of cloudy.... When should I replace the cushion?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: When to replace mask cushion
Medical supply place put me on an auto resupply that conforms to my insurances rules. For the cushion they are goin to be replacing it once a month.
Post Reply Post Reply
Once a month?! Oh my
Goodness r u kidding
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2013, 10:43 AM)Sweetdreams2013 Wrote: Had my mask for almost 2 months.... Even after I wash it, it still looks kind of cloudy.... When should I replace the cushion?
Whatever replacement schedule allows if you,re in US and have insurance

Increased leaks is an indicator to replace the cushions also looks for stiffness or tear
Post Reply Post Reply
When they get hard and don't seal well, or get cloudy or yucky and don't clean well, replace them.

I recommend you get replacements as soon as your insurance will pay until you have a couple of spares. Then clean a set really well once a week, and swap them out, letting the cleaned set dry out for a week to help kill off germs. Then order new ones whenever one wears out.

It's good to have at least one spare anyway.

Some people take their old, cloudy, yucky, poorly sealing cushions, and boil them in water with a little baking soda and claim it rejuvenates them somewhat. Once you get replacements, try it with a set of cushions before you throw them away. At worst, you just throw them away anyway.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wash them daily. I use a mild solution of vinegar and water. Then rinse with a mild soapy water. It will discolor, don't worry about it. When the seal goes bad, replace. You should know without any help when this happens, right? Or if the thing stinks, thats probably a good indication that you have milked the most from your unit. Now, my insurance gives a new one every two weeks. Having said that, watch eBay for prices that can even beat your insurance/copayment.

It does cost a bit, but well worth the good it does for your health. Can't put a price on that, right?
Post Reply Post Reply
I replace mine about one every six months.
Lee
Post Reply Post Reply
Contact your insurance company/Medicare and learn their replacement policy for CPAP consumables. Since I use nasal pillows, Medicare/insurance allows for a monthly replacement - a policy I seldom adhere to. oldman
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 86 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 245 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 578 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 515 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  When do I REALLY need to replace items? BlueSky1958 19 1,070 12-13-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.