Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

When to switch to BPAP or ASV?
RE: When to switch to BPAP or ASV?
Paula, if you don't need to replace your machine now (i.e. it is still working), I'd suggest holding off for a year and see if the weight loss lessens your needs. This is totally based on cost - bipaps are a lot more. If, on the other hand, you think these issues are interfering with your current sleep habits, then get the bipap.

FWIW, ibuprofen taken close to bedtime causes an increase in my pressure overnight. My doc thinks it has to do with the bradycardia. Now I take it with dinner instead of my evening snack and that stopped happening. The problem is that the alternative is a pain killer (which increases my centrals from 3-4 to 10-12 a night) and that simply isn't as effective as reducing the inflammation in the first place.

Also, a mention to everybody about ibuprofen. There are some new warnings about it, especially for those over 65, so make sure that your usage is appropriate.
Post Reply Post Reply
A bipap won't address the Clear Airways, but it would be more comfortable to breathe with such high pressures.  

The CA's aren't excessive and could very well be caused by your meds.   As stated above, you could hold off to see if weight loss would allow you to use lower pressures.  

If you talk to your doctor, he would probably want another sleep study.  Your insurance may not cover a bipap without another study.  

If CA's increase, then the logical step would be an ASV, but we all know that from the stories of other forum members (like Dave) that it's not that easy to navigate the medical system and get what we need.  It's a frustrating and time consuming process.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice everyone!

You're right. I am seeing planks when they're only motes.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula, I think it might be interesting to try a fixed pressure of 15 using your EPR of 2. Your pressures do increase on pressure limitations, but it's uncertain if the increased pressures are preventing OA. If you try the fixed pressure, we would be looking for a consistent increase in obstructive events to return to a variable pressure range. Fixed pressure may help CA events, but again it's not predictable with the use of your medications and particularly opioids. I think shooting for comfort is a reasonable goal. Bilevel without a backup is something you should only consider if you can tolerate the full EPR of 3 without increasing central events. I doubt ASV would be approved at this point with the relatively low number of events.

You have been on this forum and seen many people discuss their sleep studies. Unless you have an exceptional opinion of the capability of your doctor to design a meaningful study, I think you would find the experience and results disappointing. Sleep studies are usually very simplistic evaluations that seem to work best to tell us what we already know.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 223 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,073 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  Switch to AirSense VAuto for UARS/low AHI lexit957 1 299 01-22-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 515 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  How do I make the case for BPAP? SleepingFish 18 1,293 08-29-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IVAPS vs Vauto BPAP - Tidal Volume Question cmpman1974 168 9,327 08-08-2023, 09:30 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  UARS - bad first night switching from APAP to BPAP manders513 1 493 08-07-2023, 01:41 PM
Last Post: manders513

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.