Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

When to upgrade machine?
RE: When to upgrade machine?
Congrats on both getting a deal and an understanding doctor. Keep in touch!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2017, 12:49 PM)Melman Wrote: The dreamstation should provide better therapy than you are seeing. I see you're not using software and have not posted data. If you download SleepyHead from the link at the top of the page and post some data, forum members will be able to advise you on how to improve your settings.There are several experienced forum members who use the dreamstation.

Thank you Melman! I will definitely do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2017, 10:04 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You don't mention whether you have the System One Auto DS560), Pro CPAP (DS460) or the brick (DS260).  The answer to your question is "before it breaks".  You should be making arrangements for a replacement now.  The expected life of most machines is 5-years, and it is not uncommon for them to go 7 ore even more, but you don't know when the failure will occur.  By replacing now, you have a backup in the event of a malfunction.  

If you have great insurance, get your doctor to prescribe a replacement.  You should do what you can to obtain physical copies of any sleep studies and past prescriptions you have had.  It is not uncommon to be required to take another sleep study when you can't document past diagnostic studies.  If your insurance has high copay or deductible, remember that you can get a new Dreamstation Auto DSX500T11 with heated humidifier and heated hose for about $360 on Amazon, or the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for about $100 more.  No need to fall for the overpricing at most brick and mortar suppliers. Online supplier costs for auto CPAP averages $800 to $900 with your prescription.  

If your current machine is data capable, download the free [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] software.  I highly recommend you get one of the above auto machines.  Your current prescription of 5 cm pressure is very low, and it would not be unexpected that it may have changed.  Getting an auto CPAP ensures you are getting the pressure you need when you need it.

Woah! I just paid $2100 for the DSX500T11 in Australia. Talk about a rip off!! hmm, I wonder if i could get one from the US? At that price it's worth getting as a spare!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, that's a problem. If you have a friend in the U.S. getting the unit is no problem. Otherwise the sellers can be contacted via Amazon messaging, and you can find out what the expense is for international shipping. That can add up to $100 USD to the total, but it's still a bargain. Also, Supplier #2 does ship internationally very reasonably, and will give you a guarantee. Just contact them. I think your cost may be a bit higher, but they are a very reputable company. Many of your mates in AU have gone this direction to save substantial money.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
SR is right about Supplier #2. I got a 'gently used' BiPap from them (it actually had zero hours on it) for about $750 delivered. No prescription was required and delivery was quick from the US to here. It only slowed up once it went through Aussie customs and Auspost.

If you want to buy brand new from the US some suppliers will not ship either Resmed or Respironics internationally. However, Auspost has a system where they can supply you with a US delivery address and it will be shipped on from there. There is an additional cost but this covers what you would have paid for postage directly from the US.

Regardless, buying from the US is significantly cheaper than buying here in OZ.
Post Reply Post Reply
So... seems everything is going well with the new machine.  I have the max pressure set to 8... should I raise it?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you look pretty good, and better than most here. I would still increase minimum pressure to 5.4. This will just reduce the variation through the night a bit and matches the minimum pressure you see most of the night. One could make an argument to increase to 6.0, but your results are excellent. The question really is, how do you feel? The main feature you are not using is EPR. If you decide to turn that on, I would use a low setting and compensate with a minimum pressure increase.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Actually I feel great.... Just went to bed later than usual since we've just started our vacation.  The difference in therapy is pretty phenomenal and the kcar analogy was spot on.  I stopped using the humidifier with the DS150 because of the condensation issue in the mask.  With this new machine with the heated hose the comfort level using the humidifier and fluctuating pressure is huge... I had no idea.  Also love the footprint of this machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2017, 07:34 PM)Jerzasnore Wrote: Actually I feel great....
Doesn't matter what I or anyone else says. You just answered the question.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Just received a phone call from the doctors office and they wanted to RENT the machine for EIGHTY NINE DOLLARS PER MONTH...  YIKES!  I had to break the news that I bought one and didn't need to PAY $45 to be fitted for a mask since I also bought one of those too! Insurance wouldn't pay for hardly anything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 107 8,042 01-24-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Does ResMed plan to upgrade to 5G ? 3disorders 1 484 11-16-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,144 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  How hard is it to upgrade with Medicare ? Nightynite 2 552 11-02-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset firmware upgrade? Tomislav 6 2,732 01-05-2023, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Tomislav
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,790 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  Upgrade to AS11? txrpls 6 1,127 08-20-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.