Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Where Does My Machine Obtain the Time Information
Where Does My Machine Obtain the Time Information
How do our CPAP machines obtain their time of day information? Our "Atomic Clocks" receive their information via the 60KHz transmitter located at the Nation Bureau of Standards in Boulder CO. The NBS uses a cesium beam clock and is the time and frequency standard for our entire country. Do our CPAP machines also synchronize to that time? When I review the information from my SleepyHead software the time stamps seem very accurate.

Just wondering... Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Where Does My Machine Obtain the Time Information
It has an internal clock. The clock on my first machine (acquired used) was off by 1 hr 20 minutes when I bought it. It can be adjusted in the clinician's menu, but this erases all the data (at least on a ResMed machine; I don't know about Respironics machines).
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2012, 04:55 PM)big_dave Wrote: It has an internal clock. The clock on my first machine (acquired used) was off by 1 hr 20 minutes when I bought it. It can be adjusted in the clinician's menu, but this erases all the data (at least on a ResMed machine; I don't know about Respironics machines).

Respironics machines do not have a way for the user to reset the time, and the clocks do drift over time.

Special cables and proprietary software are required to reset the time on Respironics. Or a way to change the internal battery.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2012, 04:45 PM)312capri Wrote: How do our CPAP machines obtain their time of day information? Our "Atomic Clocks" receive their information via the 60KHz transmitter located at the Nation Bureau of Standards in Boulder CO. The NBS uses a cesium beam clock and is the time and frequency standard for our entire country. Do our CPAP machines also synchronize to that time? When I review the information from my SleepyHead software the time stamps seem very accurate.

Just wondering... Oh-jeez
Respironics machines don,t have a clock like the S9 which we can change it manually to local time. It does have hidden internal clock set to GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) regardless of local time. You would have put in your time zone so SH can convert to local time

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2012, 05:28 PM)zonk Wrote: Respironics machines don,t have a clock like the S9 which we can change it manually to local time. It does have hidden internal clock set to GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) regardless of local time. You would have put in your time zone so SH can convert to local time.

Your Windows PC usually knows your local time zone and SH will automatically apply this. I presume the Linux or Mac versions do the same.
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2012, 09:59 PM)archangle Wrote:
(06-15-2012, 05:28 PM)zonk Wrote: Respironics machines don,t have a clock like the S9 which we can change it manually to local time. It does have hidden internal clock set to GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) regardless of local time. You would have put in your time zone so SH can convert to local time.

Your Windows PC usually knows your local time zone and SH will automatically apply this. I presume the Linux or Mac versions do the same.

My Philips Respironics System One is 19 minutes fast. That is, if I get up at 6:30 it says I got up at 6:49. It's not a big deal, but I wish I could adjust the time in the machine.

I use SleepyHead on Linux and it reports the time correctly, except for the 19 minute error. The error is in the machine, so there is nothing SleepyHead can do about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2012, 10:47 PM)JJJ Wrote: I use SleepyHead on Linux and it reports the time correctly, except for the 19 minute error. The error is in the machine, so there is nothing SleepyHead can do about it.

When jedimark makes it back, adding a time correction offset is on his todo list.

Curse you Respironics for not allowing the user to fix the clock or replace the battery.
Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2012, 10:47 PM)JJJ Wrote: I use SleepyHead on Linux and it reports the time correctly, except for the 19 minute error. The error is in the machine, so there is nothing SleepyHead can do about it.

Yes, SleepyHead on Ubuntu has a time correction, in Preferences / CPAP / CPAP Clock Drift.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2012, 12:53 PM)cqfd93 Wrote:

Yes, SleepyHead on Ubuntu has a time correction, in Preferences / CPAP / CPAP Clock Drift.

Omigod, you're right! I'm using Sleepyhead on Fedora x86_64, but I missed that setting. Thanks for pointing it out!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 11 26 minutes ago
Last Post: Tman1966
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 209 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,435 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 619 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 173 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 808 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.