Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Where did the mask go?
Where did the mask go?
I've been using my ResMed 10 for the last month now with no real issues other than the amplified breathing noise which I took care of with ear plugs. However, the last three nights my alter ego discovered a way to disgard that thing on my face while I lay sleeping. Anyone have any ideas on how I can prevent this from reoccurring? Last night he must have been working really hard at it because the velco straps were extremely loose when I discovered it this morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Where did the mask go?
(01-23-2015, 01:01 PM)Kladeios Wrote: However, the last three nights my alter ego discovered a way to disgard that thing on my face while I lay sleeping. Anyone have any ideas on how I can prevent this from reoccurring?

Hot glue comes to mind. . .Dancing

If it is sliding up, as many other users have reported, the remedy is to run a velcro strap from one lower headgear strap, under the chin and back up to the opposite strap.

Good Luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2015, 02:26 PM)sgearhart Wrote:
(01-23-2015, 01:01 PM)Kladeios Wrote: However, the last three nights my alter ego discovered a way to disgard that thing on my face while I lay sleeping. Anyone have any ideas on how I can prevent this from reoccurring?

Hot glue comes to mind. . .Dancing

If it is sliding up, as many other users have reported, the remedy is to run a velcro strap from one lower headgear strap, under the chin and back up to the opposite strap.

Good Luck!

Given the position of the mask and the condition of the velcro last night, I'm pretty sure it wasn't riding up. I usually strap the mask snug enough to prevent leaks. The mask looks like it was forcibly removed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the machine off as well? Or just the mask being removed?

If the machine was still running, remove the ear plugs. Rig the hose so the mask can't go far from you and the noise wakes you when you remove it.

If the machine was off too, make getting to the machine difficult to reach. You'll wake yourself up trying to get to it.

This is only for long enough to get yourself out of the habit.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2015, 03:28 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Is the machine off as well? Or just the mask being removed?

If the machine was still running, remove the ear plugs. Rig the hose so the mask can't go far from you and the noise wakes you when you remove it.

If the machine was off too, make getting to the machine difficult to reach. You'll wake yourself up trying to get to it.

Interesting idea, although I can't live without those ear plugs given the eeeehoooo eeeeehoooo noise the machine puts out when I breathe. I might still be able to hear the machine running though if I turn the smartstart feature off. I can still hear some noise with those ear plugs.

After reading the post on the S9 issue, I may make a few changes to the ramp start/EPR feature first to see if I can make it a bit more comfortable. I probably felt like I was suffocating at the 4.8 ramp start setting. It's either that or the max setting was bothering me. Right now the EPR is set for 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2015, 04:04 PM)Kladeios Wrote:
(01-23-2015, 03:28 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Is the machine off as well? Or just the mask being removed?

Interesting idea, although I can't live without those ear plugs given the eeeehoooo eeeeehoooo noise the machine puts out when I breathe. I might still be able to hear the machine running though if I turn the smartstart feature off. I can still hear some noise with those ear plugs.

After reading the post on the S9 issue, I may make a few changes to the ramp start/EPR feature first to see if I can make it a bit more comfortable. I probably felt like I was suffocating at the 4.8 ramp start setting. It's either that or the max setting was bothering me. Right now the EPR is set for 2.

I use 5 mins of Ramp and also use the auto start as well the air might start at 4.0 but by the time I have the mask on properly it's already at 5.1 or more it comes up quick so I don't feel that suffocating feeling, I also have the autoset machine which it sound like there quiter than the elite which that might make a difference as far as the breathing noise? , I also have my EPR set to 3 if I do less I feel the exhale too much and it wakes me .
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings Kladeios,

Since you mentioned the noise that causes you to wear ear plugs I have a few questions:

- where is the CPAP located in relation to your head?
- where is the noise coming from that is the problem? The machine or the mask or the exhalation vent?

If the noise is from the CPAP itself, can it be positioned where the sound is baffled by the bed by putting it below the top level of the mattress?

If the noise is not from the CPAP maybe try a different full-face mask, or try nose mask with a chin strap, or nasal pillows with a chin strap? My hubby went from a nose mask to nasal pillows with a chin strap and he finds it much more comfortable and quieter.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a guess but usually when a person is taking off the mask in their sleep its because they are feeling smothered due to to low a min pressure.

Personally I dont use ramp and anything under 7 min I cant deal with because im not getting enough air. With any mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2015, 02:50 PM)Evpraxia Wrote: Greetings Kladeios,

Since you mentioned the noise that causes you to wear ear plugs I have a few questions:

- where is the CPAP located in relation to your head?
- where is the noise coming from that is the problem? The machine or the mask or the exhalation vent?

If the noise is from the CPAP itself, can it be positioned where the sound is baffled by the bed by putting it below the top level of the mattress?

If the noise is not from the CPAP maybe try a different full-face mask, or try nose mask with a chin strap, or nasal pillows with a chin strap? My hubby went from a nose mask to nasal pillows with a chin strap and he finds it much more comfortable and quieter.

It's from the intake port on the CPAP machine. I put the machine on the floor and although the sound isn't as loud, it's still there.
(01-24-2015, 02:57 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Just a guess but usually when a person is taking off the mask in their sleep its because they are feeling smothered due to to low a min pressure.

Personally I dont use ramp and anything under 7 min I cant deal with because im not getting enough air. With any mask.

I believe you are correct. I changed the ramp to 6 and I haven't pulled the mask off yet. My EPR is still set for 2. I also changed my ramp start from auto to 10 mins.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kladeios,
I have had a day or two in a row where I've taken off my mask in my sleep and not known it. In my case it was just a blip and went away on it's own, perhaps in part due to my fine tuning my settings which lead to an elimination of the reason (of which I haven't a clue as I was...um...sound asleep?) for mask removal. I don't have a full face mask, only nasal pillows, and even with them I feel a lack of air with a low starting pressure. I tried to raise mine too fast and that didn't work. So I've found going up .5 or 1 whole and staying there a couple or three days, and then raising again, has worked for me. I'm up to 6.6 and happier than I was before.

I also woke in the first month of use, a couple times feeling like the machine had lost it's mind and was blowing my face off with excess pressure (that I woke up from and foggily recall) that "run away" pressure seems to have gotten better from lowering my top pressure ...but I'm thinking you have a c-pap not an auto? Anyway, not only am I NOT a doctor/tech/nurse etc, I'm only a newbie at c-pap. since Dec 26, 2014. So grain of salt here..

I hear it gets better (-:

Susan in San Francisco
PS. I was told that having machine on floor can make for more dust etc in filter/intake area, so be sure to check your filters to see if they need changing more often...not saying your house is dusty, I KNOW mine is.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,526 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,215 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,425 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,833 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,530 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.