Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Where do you wear your chinstrap
This poll is closed.
I wear it over the headgear
22.22%
4 22.22%
I wear it under the headgear
38.89%
7 38.89%
I wear it either ways
0%
0 0%
I don't wear a chinstrap
38.89%
7 38.89%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Where do you wear your chinstrap
Where do you wear your chinstrap
Chinstraps are an optional accessory to most masks. They wrap around the top of your head and underneath your chin to prevent your mouth from opening at night. Chinstraps may be used with a variety of nasal masks if a full-face mask (a mask that covers both the nose and mouth) is not being used.
......................................................................................................
I have always worn it over the mask.
It also help to keep the mask in place
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Where do you wear your chinstrap
The few weeks I used one, oh so long ago, I used it under the headgear. I found it harder to adjust if the strap was over it. But then, I was also failing miserably with the nasal masks.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I wear my chinstrap under the headgear. I haven't tried it the other way; I thought about trying it but I just figure if something ain't broke, why fix it, (Ha-Ha-Ha?)
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not use a chinstrap. Never have. Just lucky I guess. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought I had to. Then, on mask 3 or 4, I said I hated it. He said it was for folks who breathe through their mouth at night. I didn't so I chucked it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a couple of different ones and hated them. I just accept that when I breathe through my mouth that I will have a high leak rate.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
I prefer to just keep my mouth shut at night! Smile
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a chin strap primarily to secure in place the headgear straps for my nasal pillows, the Swift FX. Without the chin strap, the headgear straps move and the pillows leak when I roll over onto my other side. The chin strap goes over the headgear, of course. Using the chin strap this way allows me to keep the headgear straps loose enough to reduce pressure on my nose without adding to the leaks. I seldom breath through my mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2012, 08:26 AM)BabyDoc Wrote: I use a chin strap primarily to secure in place the headgear straps for my nasal pillows, the Swift FX. Without the chin strap, the headgear straps move and the pillows leak when I roll over onto my other side. The chin strap goes over the headgear, of course. Using the chin strap this way allows me to keep the headgear straps loose enough to reduce pressure on my nose without adding to the leaks. I seldom breath through my mouth.

I do agree with you about the straps moving! Total pain in the posterior!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to give up on the chin strap because it kept pulling the hairs out of my mustache and beard. It's the reason I found a mask with a built-in chin strap - even if Respironics doesn't consider it so.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 362 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question ChinStrap & Data tblaster 2 405 11-28-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 881 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Best way to wear finger/ring oximeter (eg O2Ring) DavidEsp 7 1,270 04-09-2023, 03:28 PM
Last Post: ferrus
Question [CPAP] AirTouch F20 troubles - nose pillows better? but I snore..chinstrap? Lilaq88 5 853 07-26-2022, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Unique Cpap chinstrap Ctyankee 1 651 03-31-2022, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Chinstrap recommendations? djhvyc 6 2,006 02-14-2021, 10:56 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.