Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Where is the best coffee in the world?
Seriously? I'm off to Italy tomorrow (Florence) for a week of teaching (and two days at my sister's olive farm south of Sienna), followed by a week teaching in France (two days in Marseilles and three in Paris), and then a week of seminars in Germany, three days in the North and two in Bayern (all this after two weeks teaching in London - NOT a great coffee nation - exception: the restaurant at The Ritz. I had amazing coffee there, but then again, you would expect it at the Ritz, wouldn't you?). Each claims to be the best nation for coffee - I shall certainly judge, but of course, I will be missing out the Viennese, since Austria is not on my itinerary this time around, who probably ARE the best, and the Dutch, who may well come a close second. Oz? hmmm.... granted I was last there nearly 20 years ago when it was even worse that both the English and the Americans, which is pretty abysmal, but could it have improved THAT much?

Starbucks failed in Switzerland, largely because they did not understand that Switzerland is the intersection of three great coffee cultures, and only made a mild go of it after they adjusted their brews to the local tastes (prompting American tourists to complain that it doesn't taste anything like at home). Today Zurich, Geneva and Bern all have Starbucks, but all are based in tourist areas and not in local quartiers. The locals buy their fix elsewhere for the most part, unless they are "young and hip" and mostly want free WiFi, and want to pay three times as much for a cuppa as they would in any local cafeteria (the word means coffee house, not what Americans think it means). Young idiots are everywhere, so why should Switzerland be any different?

Look, Zonk ol' cobber, Aussies can be as snobbish as they wish, especially when writing in their own magazines, but sorry, Vienna is THE place to be for coffee. The Germans, Dutch and Swiss are not far after them, as are the Italians and the maybe the French. I will reserve judgement on Aussie coffee until I go there again in a few years. I have also heard the Danes do wonderful things (I doubt it though) and of course, the Egyptians do things to coffee that make you think you have possibly died and been reborn in the Buddha Land. Aaaand then there's Peru and Argentina....
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2015 04:55 PM by DocWils.)
08-08-2015 04:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply
storywizard Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed VPAP Adapt S9
Mask Make & Model: P10 taped to face
Humidifier: included with machine
CPAP Pressure: CPAP 11cm

Other Comments:

(08-08-2015 04:26 PM)zonk Wrote:  Where else .... Australian coffee is the best in the world
http://www.traveller.com.au/australian-c...rld-ginqk2

[Image: tumblr_lbatl.gif]

Nah, it's in my kitchen, first thing in the morning...:-)

Storywizard
08-08-2015 06:06 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
ginzo Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Res Med Airfit P-10
Humidifier: Humidair S with heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 10.0-13.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: I'm a mouth breather!!!

I'm gonna vote for my kitchen also...........Just got my 1st kuerig, a 2.0 and I love it. No issues, I'm sipping Newman's right now.Mornincoffee

(08-08-2015 06:06 PM)storywizard Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 04:26 PM)zonk Wrote:  Where else .... Australian coffee is the best in the world

Storywizard
08-08-2015 06:24 PM
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10

Other Comments:

I have to agree with Zonk - never had a really good coffee anywhere outside Australia (except possibly a little place just outside Florence). Definitely never had a good coffee anywhere in North America. Europe isn't bad but (apart from the Italians) they just don't get espresso. Asian coffee is abysmal - even the famous and expensive Luwak coffee is ruined by inexpert brewing.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-08-2015 10:39 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

I agree that from my kitchen is the best coffee but we all know that what is in our kitchen has to come from somewhere unless there are some members here that grow their own.
08-08-2015 10:48 PM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

(08-08-2015 06:24 PM)ginzo Wrote:  I'm gonna vote for my kitchen also...........Just got my 1st kuerig, a 2.0 and I love it. No issues, I'm sipping Newman's right now.Mornincoffee

(08-08-2015 06:06 PM)storywizard Wrote:  

Storywizard

I usually use Costco's Dark Roast in my Keurig 2.0 as well as the Green Mtn Dark Magic (or something like that) for the mug size.
08-09-2015 04:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

(08-08-2015 10:39 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:  I have to agree with Zonk - never had a really good coffee anywhere outside Australia (except possibly a little place just outside Florence). Definitely never had a good coffee anywhere in North America. Europe isn't bad but (apart from the Italians) they just don't get espresso. Asian coffee is abysmal - even the famous and expensive Luwak coffee is ruined by inexpert brewing.

They don't get espresso? THEY INVENTED IT!!! Coffee started in Africa and spread to Italy in the early 1500s, and from there onto the rest of Europe. There is still a coffee house from 1651 operating in London, the French started their tradition around the same time, and the Germans even earlier, having brought it back from "Araby" around the same time as the Italians adopted it. The espresso machine was invented in Turin in 1884. The French invented percolated coffee around 1800, the Germans pioneered certain roasting systems in the 1700s. I will gladly agree that North Americans really don't understand coffee in any way shape or form, but I am sorry, mainland Europe remains the home and centre of coffee today, outside of the Arabic speaking world, at least. Oz came to this so late in the game that I can only call the claims made above as laughable and rather self aggrandising and naive. The coffee I had in Australia (granted, a while back) was undrinkable - you got better brew ups in Yorkshire train stations, which is saying a lot, and while Oz may have "discovered" a decent espresso machine of late, no, this remains our drink, and I will put the expertise of any half decent coffee house in Sienna, Vienna, Paris, Lausanne, Amsterdamned, or Munich against the finest barristas in Oz any day of the week. Heck, I would put the coffee of my secretary in that batch, too (and she's from Chur!), and even the morning brew I make when I stumble out of bed looking for a knife, any knife. That is how I wake up....
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2015 04:59 PM by DocWils.)
08-09-2015 04:57 PM
ginzo Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Res Med Airfit P-10
Humidifier: Humidair S with heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 10.0-13.0

Other Comments: I'm a mouth breather!!!

I'm still experimenting, I've only had it about 3 weeks. Just bought those reusable (E-Kups, K and C)? To try my regular blend. So far my favorite is Seattle's Best #3

And SOME OF US have not been to Australia yet!!!!Big Grin

(08-09-2015 04:18 PM)Homerec130 Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 06:24 PM)ginzo Wrote:  I'm gonna vote for my kitchen also...........Just got my 1st kuerig, a 2.0 and I love it. No issues, I'm sipping Newman's right now.Mornincoffee

(08-08-2015 06:06 PM)storywizard Wrote:  Nah, it's in my kitchen, first thing in the morning...:-)

Storywizard

I usually use Costco's Dark Roast in my Keurig 2.0 as well as the Green Mtn Dark Magic (or something like that) for the mug size.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2015 05:40 PM by ginzo.)
08-09-2015 05:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PositiveMe123 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 6/10 - ps=3
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

(08-08-2015 04:46 PM)DocWils Wrote:  ...but sorry, Vienna is THE place to be for coffee.

Okay... I get it! :grin: However, if you can't get to Vienna there is probably a Costco where you live. I buy an organic San Francisco blend that is probably better than any five star restaurant I've been to, or at least as good. Took me several years to find any coffee that was this good. Course now I can't remember the name but the picture on the front is frozen in my brain. But, if you seriously want to know more about it... Big Grin
08-09-2015 05:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  National Coffee Day (US) justMongo 8 220 09-30-2016 10:42 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Sacked for having a cup of coffee on the job zonk 44 2,453 06-19-2016 04:28 AM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Coffee - latte GrammaBear 20 1,278 01-22-2016 05:00 PM
Last Post: S10wanderer
  Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat DeepBreathing 13 929 12-13-2015 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyH
  World Beard Championships zonk 2 371 10-06-2015 06:02 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  New Coffee We Tried me50 46 4,133 08-30-2015 07:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] Coffee / Caffeine aussiefilo 13 1,583 07-21-2015 02:22 PM
Last Post: PositiveMe123