Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Where is the best coffee in the world?
Docwils

I sure hope that you get paid enough to cover your travel expenses and what a great way to see some of the world.
08-10-2015 03:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

I don't pay for the travel when I am invited to teach or lecture. And it always includes a stipend or per diem for daily needs. How much of the world I get to see depends on my schedule and my hosts. Often I see the hotel, the hospital and a few restaurants in between. Sometimes, though, like in Egypt a few years before the Great Unpleasantness, my hosts were so enthusiastic for me to see the many great treasures they have that I was spending more time being taken to amazing locations (Karnak! Wow!) than I was teaching in the hospital. And there are places like London, Munich and Paris where I am a regular, and I have my "little spots" and such.
08-10-2015 08:35 AM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Miami - Cuban espresso. Probably the best I ever had. Can't get that here. We buy our coffee at the grocery store, its the most awful crud I have ever tasted. Which is a good thing. If it tasted better I'd be bouncing off the walls and gerd'n all night long.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
08-10-2015 02:57 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10

Other Comments:

(08-10-2015 08:35 AM)DocWils Wrote:  How much of the world I get to see depends on my schedule and my hosts.

Make sure you build a lot of spare time into your Perth schedule!

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-11-2015 12:04 AM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

(08-11-2015 12:04 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:  
(08-10-2015 08:35 AM)DocWils Wrote:  How much of the world I get to see depends on my schedule and my hosts.

Make sure you build a lot of spare time into your Perth schedule!

One month, almost, excluding travel, so I hope I will have a lot of time, actually. It really depends on how heavy the work load is - I will be helping to set up a department similar to mine and train the doctors and administrators (you NEVER train the nurses, they'll bite you). Some of the ones I have selected as the potential heads of the department are already here under fellowship grants learning my methods, so they should be good and ready to take the helm after I have finished whatever need doing - I am hoping it will mostly be hand holding, to be honest, since these are very bright people I have here now, and after they return nine months ahead of me, they should be well on the way to having the department ready to run by the time I get there.

My hope is that I will have enough time to go into the outback a bit, and to explore some of the more interesting (for me) areas, and get some serious star gazing in - something I have to go up into the mountains to do here. And if there is time and I feel brave enough, to see if I can still surf, although it has been thirty-odd, nearly forty years since I last hanged ten. Two of my nephews are actually in Oz right now surfing safariing, and I have asked them to scout out some prime spots for an old surfer dude like me.
08-11-2015 04:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Other Comments:

(08-11-2015 04:14 PM)DocWils Wrote:  (you NEVER train the nurses, they'll bite you).

SWMBO has just retired after 30 years as a pediatric ED nurse. I'll make sure she doesn't see your post, otherwise you WILL get bitten when you arrive.

Which institution are you working with? UWA, Fiona Stanley ?

Depending on how much spare time you get, and the time of year, you can see and experience quite a lot here. When the time gets closer we'll help work out a schedule with you. If nothing else it will be a good excuse to brush the cobwebs off my telescope. Smile

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-12-2015 12:14 AM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

QEII I think, if that makes sense, but I don't have my diary in front of me - someone else arranges this sort of thing and I just go - they say "you are going to Perth" and I say "oh, okay" and leave it at that until a few weeks before I go, and I don't know what my fellowship boys and girls are attached to, as it doesn't impact my work teaching them. It may be the Royal, which I think is part of the University, since I recall something Royal mentioned, but then I just returned from a Royal Hospital in the UK, and that may be on my mind still. I had assumed for a while that I was working at two institutes, but now I am not sure, it may be one that has two names - I will have to go and check in the system or ask my boss's secretary.

As for your SWMBO, if you ask her, she will tell you nurses train doctors, not the other way around, and the rest of the time they tolerate us. While Swiss nurses tend to be a bit more docile with docs, most places I have worked the doctors have developed a healthy respect for them, and a clear fear of the head nurse or matron. Rightly so, IMHO.

And thanks for the offer of brushing off the old telescope. It would be fun. There is one observatory in the Outback I wanted to visit, but I have no idea if it is possible as I don't know how to get there from Perth. I also want to work with a physiotherapist based in Perth while I am there - she does amazing work and I want to observe her methods. She was here to lecture at our PT dept a few years back and I missed it, so I hope to catch her there - her work with dancers is supposed to be ground-breaking.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2015 03:50 AM by DocWils.)
08-12-2015 03:40 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Other Comments:

QEII does make sense - the Queen Elizabeth II medical centre is one of the three main hospitals here (the others being Royal Perth and Fiona Stanley). There's quite a lot of cross-over among the three so it's quite likely you'll be dealing with people from each. There are two medical schools - University of Western Australia and Notre Dame. UWA is physically located right next to QEII.

There's only one optical observatory of any size here, in the hills just outside Perth. However that has been downgraded due to government cutbacks and unfortunately doesn't do much research any more. The most famous Australian optical observatory is at Siding Spring in NSW - a long way from here. WA is becoming one of the world centres for radio astronomy. One half of the Square Kilometre Array is being built in this state (the other half in South Africa). When completed, it will be the most powerful astronomical instrument ever built.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

08-12-2015 05:27 AM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

I am getting excited already - now, how to plan a trip to Siding Spring.......hmmmmm..... my secretary has informed me that the entire thing is arranged through the University but is based at the QEII and possibly one other hospital to become "competence centres" depending on how the fellowship doctors get distributed when they go home - or if they even have jobs when they get home. If successful it will then move on to the rest of the major cities in Oz.
08-12-2015 05:41 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
IDontSnoreISwear Offline

New Members

Machine: DeVilbiss IntelliPAP AutoAdjust with SmartFlex
Mask Make & Model: SwiftFX
Humidifier: IntelliPAP Integrated Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13-18

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
Where is the best coffee in the world?

Whatever is in my cup at any given time.

:grin:
08-30-2015 12:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  National Coffee Day (US) justMongo 8 219 09-30-2016 10:42 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Sacked for having a cup of coffee on the job zonk 44 2,448 06-19-2016 04:28 AM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Coffee - latte GrammaBear 20 1,275 01-22-2016 05:00 PM
Last Post: S10wanderer
  Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat DeepBreathing 13 928 12-13-2015 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyH
  World Beard Championships zonk 2 369 10-06-2015 06:02 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  New Coffee We Tried me50 46 4,132 08-30-2015 07:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] Coffee / Caffeine aussiefilo 13 1,582 07-21-2015 02:22 PM
Last Post: PositiveMe123