Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Where is the best coffee in the world?
Swiss food standards are higher than European standards, and quality of presentation is far higher, too. So if Lidl and Aldi come in and present their typically industrial (and if I may say, dirty) style then only the immigrants buy there (okay, that is 29% of the population, but still....). Even then, they have to meet certain rules regarding food production and quality. In addition, Lidl and Aldi came under fire for their low wages and poor treatment of employees. In the end, both had to change radically to meet Swiss market standards and labour practices, to the point that Lidl has even taken out banners trumpeting their new wage packets (still a minimum wage here, btw, just now it is at the legal minimum wage instead of below it). They also had to re-jig their selections, using more local producers and improve presentation of goods and quality of certain goods produced on the spot, like breads and rolls. I go into a local Lidl from time to time to by a bag of salad, produced at a farm not 20 km from my flat, and cheaper than salad from Coop, one of the big Swiss supermarket chains (Migros and Denner are the other major chains, with department stores Manor, Globus and Jelmoli providing upper end food services).
10-03-2015 10:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

We buy a lot of meats at Costco and then vacuum seal them in smaller packages and stick them in the freezer. Get a lot of our paper goods and cleaning stuff there as well. Veggies aren't that good of a deal as we can't eat them fast enough.

Homer
10-03-2015 04:17 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Feeling tired, take some caffeinated gum and you'll feel a lot better ...

Research carried out for the Australian Defence Force has proved what office coffee addicts all over the world have known for years — with one startling twist. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/foo...1443677420
10-03-2015 09:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

We carried out tests for the Swiss Army, found that effects were negligible, as while mental alertness seemed increased, actual task performance was more impaired, on par with any sleep deprivation, and accuracy of shooting was similarly impaired. In addition, it was habituated quickly, so that you needed more and more of it to achieve the same effect after a short while. In short, not really that much help in the end, unless you don't care where the bullet goes.

For a surgeon, having an alert mind is important, but having steady hands is even more important, so, six of one, half a dozen of the other. We train for years to be able to pull 30 hour sessions without noticeable fatigue and no stimulants, and that works better than coffee.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015 08:55 AM by DocWils.)
10-04-2015 08:53 AM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Why would you pull 30 hour shifts?

Best Regards,

PaytonA
10-04-2015 09:27 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Payton,

Surgeons sometimes have to work for that much time on a patient, albeit not often any more, thanks to massive improvements in technology, and on-call doctors pull such hours regularly as well. I have had to do complete joint and bone reconstructions that have lasted that long, especially on accident patients, where the damage is often amazingly bad. We not only stay up that long, we stand all the time, too, and learn to hold it in when we have to pee or other stuff - anything rather than break scrub. Thankfully, that is getting rarer these days, as our tendency now when saving a life is to get in, do a quick and dirty fix (meatball surgery) which may still take six or seven hours, close them up and give them a bit of rest for a few days while we consider the extensive fixes still needed, but when you are confronted with fixing it now or the patient loses the hand, arm or leg, or faces paralysis, we don't consider how many hours we can stand, but how many hours the patient can stand it, and if it takes two days straight, working in shifts, or often as not, not, we do it.
10-04-2015 12:11 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

(10-04-2015 12:11 PM)DocWils Wrote:  Surgeons sometimes have to work for that much time on a patient, albeit not often any more, thanks to massive improvements in technology, and on-call doctors pull such hours regularly as well.

One of the reasons DV here decided not to be a Doctor when in college. The other of course being that I get sick when I'm around sick folk... (it being not known at the time that I had the immune system defect - although the immunologist that confirmed it seemed to be kinda mad about that - he said it *could* have been diagnosed if I'd had competent docs) As a youngling, Doctor was the goal!

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
10-04-2015 12:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Daria, I am sure we lost a talented physician because of that - and not all doctors work with sick people, btw - research medicine, for instance, is vital to what we do. But medicine's loss is another world's gain.
10-04-2015 01:05 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

yeah, but even research docs (which i would have rocked) need the stamina to get thru a residency. There was never a time in my life that I had that! Sad I did make a decision in the early 90s to go back to school and get a medtech degree - the 6 yr one that is just short of doc --- but i got sidetracked into the computing field and have been here ever since Smile Still don't have a degree --- but I have made a reasonable living.

Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

10-04-2015 01:11 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Computing and med together would be a killer combo! Designing interfaces and systems that docs could use practically and develop new technologies - imagine the fun you could have, and the money wouldn't be half bad either, if you ever feel you need the incentive to finish your PA. I would warrant quite a few companies would snap you up ultra fast. Or you could put all that to use right now, designing a new algorithm for CPAP - maybe it is time for an OpenCPAP design team, to make the better, nay, the ideal device, one that is designed by users FOR users. And now I need a lie down.... so overwhelmed by it all. Keep on coding, Daria...
10-04-2015 04:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  National Coffee Day (US) justMongo 8 227 09-30-2016 10:42 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Sacked for having a cup of coffee on the job zonk 44 2,469 06-19-2016 04:28 AM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Coffee - latte GrammaBear 20 1,286 01-22-2016 05:00 PM
Last Post: S10wanderer
  Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat DeepBreathing 13 938 12-13-2015 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyH
  World Beard Championships zonk 2 375 10-06-2015 06:02 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  New Coffee We Tried me50 46 4,163 08-30-2015 07:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] Coffee / Caffeine aussiefilo 13 1,594 07-21-2015 02:22 PM
Last Post: PositiveMe123