Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Newly Diagnosed Scared and Depressed
Newly Diagnosed Scared and Depressed
So my family has a history of sleep apnea and the possibility of having it has always been in the back of mind. I was always considered a loud snorer, but my fiancé said I slept rather comfortably and only had issues when I drank. 

Well after a few high blood pressure reading, my doctor sent me for a sleep test after the cardiologist and other doctors couldn’t find any underlying causes. I am a 6’2 200lb avid runner, I shouldn’t have high blood pressure. After doing a home sleep study I got the call today that I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and I have a cpap professional coming in 2 days to set me up with a machine.

I am scared, depressed and embarrassed to have this. I am only 26 and have tried to keep myself in good shape. The doctor said I had an AHI of 6. I don’t really know what that means, but I have heard that home tests are somewhat inaccurate. What do I do? Here is last nights OSCAR report for reference

Here is a better resolution picture below in comments. Still working on using the site. Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly Diagnosed Scared and Depressed
Better resolution photo

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I would say to you congratulations!!!! There are so many out there (most of us included) who didn't know we had sleep apnea, and were suffering. But with a diagnosis, and a CPAP, we can live an even healthier and longer life!!!!

You thought you were healthy, even though your brain and body were being deprived of quality oxygen. And now you will be even healthier, because you'll be getting the air you were not getting before! This is exciting! This is great news!!!!

I wish I'd had a CPAP at 20 years old. Instead I've wasted so many years of my life, being tired, being deprived of air at night.

So I say to you Congratulations! With CPAP intervention now, your next many years will be SO much better than they would have been!

P.S. I don't personally think needing a CPAP is reflective of poor health. I think either doctors or society have put the apnea people into a pigeon hole of overweight, out of shape, and old... but that is NOT reality; and that pigeon hole prevents so many of us (younger, in shape, not overweight) from being diagnosed and treated. The pigeon hole even prevents those of us who are overweight from being treated.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was 64 when I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. Never had a clue that I was having sleep issues. It's been two years now and I'm still waiting to feel better. My AHI #'s are almost always well below 5. 

Anyways, you came to a great place and there are many here who are very well versed in regards to SA and how best to treat it. 

Take a deep breath and relax! You're in very good hands here.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Better attachment involves an OSCAR screenshot. As you're on a Mac, someone will need to coach on taking the screenshot so you can attach the file. Even so, a PAP machine of the right type and is set properly will treat the apnea. There is nothing to be embarrassed about this. I would consider the win that you get to treat this sooner than most.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My only suggestion is to make sure that the machine is a ResMed s10 airsense autoset. DO NOT ACCEPT A PHILLIPS DREAMSTATION. That is what most suppliers give us. They cost the suppliers less but you have a choice and it costs no more.l to you.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I fond the thought of a machine embarrassing I have been using one for 3years at this point it works well and my family get to enjoy snore free nights and I am much more awake
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 303 25 minutes ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 53 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 381 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,804 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 408 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.