Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Where to find distilled water?
Where to find distilled water?
Unfortunately, because of the paranoia associated with toilet paper and hand sanitizer, even the 1 gal bottles of distilled water are unavailable. 

Any idea where I can find some? Do you think doc's offices may be able to special order them or something? I have checked my local grocery stores but they are out. Surprisingly, regular water (spring water, etc) are available in the 1 gal size.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Where to find distilled water?
Ordinary tap water is perfectly ok in the great majority of cases in the 1st world. If you get mineral deposits in the humidifier, wash it with vinegar.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree--for most people it seems fine. 

For me, for some reason, I start to cough if I use tap water for multiple nights in a row.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quit wasting your money on distilled water. I use tap water and it's fine. Every once in a while, I might get some mineral build-up in the reservoir tank. 

A little white vinegar takes care of that easily enough.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Vroomvroom, try boiling the tap water - that will drive off dissolved gases. It might overcome your problem and as a bonus it will kill any (most) pathogens that might be in the water.
Post Reply Post Reply
Was informed by my local CPAP supplier that demineralised water is also suitable so maybe an option if you really want to use.

We used to buy it from local auto parts supplier - SuperCheapAuto - used it to top up our electric forklift batteries. And what they would cost to replace we looked after them well!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Many stores offer RO water, You might need to bring in your own gallon jug. This is also an excellent choice for humidifier water.

As stated above, Tap water is an acceptable choice. virus or no virus.
Post Reply Post Reply
Walmart baby section
Post Reply Post Reply
Almost every drug store, big box stores will have distilled water.  It may be in short supply temporarily as people hoard anything they can run up on their plastic.  Their greatest fear is to die with unused credit.

Tap water is quite acceptable, and most of us get around to using it routinely.  If the dissolved gases bother you, let it stand for 24 hours in a sealed room.  Fill a 9X12 backing pan and set it aside for a day to off-gas.  If it still bothers you, there's something else going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2020, 10:10 PM)vroomvroom Wrote: I agree--for most people it seems fine. 

For me, for some reason, I start to cough if I use tap water for multiple nights in a row.

In this case, fill up a gallon jug from the tap.  Letting it sit should clear up the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 199 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.