Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Where to find distilled water?
RE: Where to find distilled water?
You can also use Aquafina. It’s a 4ppm water so pretty close to distilled.

Next: Kinley ~20ppm.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can wash your clothes in your tap water, you can put it in your CPAP

If you can drink it, you can put it in your CPAP

If you can bathe in it, you can put it in your CPAP

There are exceptions:

If your white tub and/or sink have brown stains from the water, that's iron. You may not want to use it unless you are willing to soak the tub in vinegar a lot. This happens a lot with wells.

If your water stinks, that's the iron. And you'll not be getting good results with clothes washing and hate to drink it. Don't use it in your CPAP.

And if your tap water is "city" water, it may be over-chlorinated. If it smells like you're at a pool, that's what it is. Putting it in a jug and leaving the lid off overnight or longer will let the bleach out and it will smell better. I live in a rural area and use my fresh from the spring tap water. I do get mineral build up but not that bad and it takes a while. But when I travel, I have more issues due to the smell (bleach/chlorine) in the water. Then I use bottled water (not distilled).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
In Australia we buy it as Demineralised Water. I think that Distilled Water is not passivated so it leaches minerals it comes in contact with so will even corrode stainless steel. Not sure of the chemistry but its the free ions in the water.  May be when sold commercially it has been passivated. 

Here there has been panic buying of toilet paper too, one chain sold seven weeks of paper in seven days, do the sums , the mind bogles. People must be expecting that coronus virus really give you the shits.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know someone who does sleep studies. He says commercial bottled water is OK in a pinch.
Post Reply Post Reply
The main aspect of distilled water in the humidifier tub is the low to zero mineral content left in the tub. Any drinking water may safely be used in this tub. Some may leave a bit of mineral residue that builds up over time. This can be rinsed off with vinegar water as needed.

I have had distilled and tap water in my tub. Neither caused a problem. In hospital, I had some type of hospital bottled water which I'm thinking was maybe sterile. Whatever it was, it was sweet smelling. Even that went through one of my tubs with no issue.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2020, 05:49 AM)wesozzzz Wrote: In Australia we buy it as Demineralised Water. I think that Distilled Water is not passivated so it leaches minerals it comes in contact with so will even  corrode stainless steel.

The so-called distilled water that we buy in the USA at places like Walmart for $1 per gallon is not truly distilled. It's filtered, or demineralised, or de-ionized or whatever you call it, but it's not truly distilled.

Tap or bottled or filtered water is good enough, and if it's not you just have to stay on top of the mineral deposits.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A zero water pitcher offers a 5-stage filtration that eliminates all solids and off-gases from organic and inorganic contaminates. It is a way to have an endless supply of good water from your tap, and is not very expensive.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Spring water should be fine.  It's probably purer than tap water.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2020, 08:31 AM)lisbon.bob Wrote: Spring water should be fine.  It's probably purer than tap water.

Spring water is nothing more than groundwater that comes to the surface. It may or may not be potable, and can range very widely in purity, mineral content and even bacteria and protozoa counts.  Spring water is unsafe for drinking unless proven otherwise.  Bottled Spring water is drinkable, but again can vary widely in minerals (hardness).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
I had to speak with suplier #27 today and had seen this thread. Information I got from repair tech was to use distilled water. However, using tap water in pinch, like now, won't hurt the machine. Hurting the machine might take awhile.

Personally, I still have a few jugs of distilled left. When I run out I will use my Brita 1.5 gallon water purifier for drinking and machine use.

If you want, you might see if a system like this is still available to be bought locally or order at a non-virus mark up.

I'm in Metro Detroit area and I believe our water is pretty safe and seems to be low in mineral content, so I would use it if all other methods fail.

I'm just big on following all machine/device Manufacturer recommendations and I prefer to filter the drinking water I consume.

Using nice clean distilled water for my machine and my breathing needs at under $4 a month is a no brainier for me.

If you look or research what will cause a CPAP to need repair you will find that the #1 cause for repair is when the blower motor is used with humidification.

That is a main reason I just had to send in a used ResMed AirCurve 10 for repair was, as it turned out, due to the former owner using tap water for about 2 years.

He was not good about any preliminary maintenance and the tank was loaded with calcium and minerals (including rust) and even the tube and connections were full of calcium deposits. He obviously just used it and then dropped it to the floor over and over.

Now it is internally cleaned, examined, ran through calibration, and ready for more years of service.

At 3900 hours it was starting to sound like a whistling teapot...LOL

Coffee
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,373 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.