Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Where to find distilled water?
RE: Where to find distilled water?
There has been a run on deminerilized water locally here in Australia,  I have friends who can give rain water so i wiil have to arrange to get some from them. I am in voluntary isolation but they fill a bottle and leave it at their front door. I will boil the water before use as it could have lots of different pathogens in it. Our tapwater should be ok in an emergency, but it contains calcium compounds and I would need to descale the water system in the cpap machine  from time to time.

Beware that the distilled water straight from  the distillery is very corrosive to metal it comes in contact with, im sure your water would have been pacified before it goes on sale.

I see the Australian Goverment are assisting Resmed to find components to speed up ventilator production to meet the predicted demand from the pandemic.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wesozzz, I disagree with nearly everything in your post. Collected rainwater is not a pure, safe choice of water. Boiling will kill most pathogens and makes it more suitable. Your tap water is a superior choice, and will not cause deposits if you empty your humidity chamber each morning, rinse, and wipe it dry. You can remove most of the calcium hardness wth a Zero Water pitcher if you feel that is necessary. Distilled water will not harm the stainless steel, plastic or silicon components of your humidity chamber. The corrosiveness of the water is a direct result of the fact it has no calcium content, which would make it a very good solvent of any water soluble material, but it has no effect on the humidifier chamber. You can neutralize the corrosive effect by adding sodium carbonate, but then you'd be right back to tap water.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider

I wont argue strongly about tap water vs rain water. However I know from having worked in steam power  stations many years ago that they pacified their distilled water before topping the water/steam system. The raw distilled water would corroded the metal in contact.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purified_w...ionization  Demineralizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2020, 10:51 PM)wesozzzz Wrote: Hi Sleeprider

I wont argue strongly about tap water vs rain water. However I know from having worked in steam power  stations many years ago that they pacified their distilled water before topping the water/steam system. The raw distilled water would corroded the metal in contact.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purified_w...ionization  Demineralizing

Metal, not water is passivated. Passivation is the process of treating or coating a metal in order to reduce the chemical reactivity of its surface. In stainless steel, passivation means removing the free iron from the surface of the metal using an acid solution. Austenic (low iron content) stainless steels such as 304, 316, and 316L are most resistant to corrosion from highly purified but still require passivation for prolonged contact but for months to years, not days or weeks.

The stainless steel in Resmed reservoirs is austenic. How do I know; it is non-magnetic, unlike the SS in many household items which is generally not austenic.. I doubt the Resmed SS is 316L, the most corrosion resistant, since it is very expensive. It may be 304. It is, however, more resistant to corrosion than non-austenic SS that have a higher iron content.

The other factor is the degree of purity of the water. It’s extremely unlikely that grocery store distilled water is nearly as ion free as high purity water used in the pharmaceutical or microelectronics industries and there for much less corrosive.

I have used distilled water because I don’t like dealing with mineral scale (call me lazy). I also don’t empty or dry my reservoir daily. I just top it off. I only drain it and dry it once every 3-4 weeks. I’ve been using the same reservoir for over a year and there is not a trace of corrosion.

I’m not advocating the use of distilled water. It does not reduce the risk of infection as compared to tap water. But if you want to avoid mineral scale don’t worry about corrosion from distilled water.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Distilled water can be acidic.  If you google the question, you'll find that it readily absorbs carbon dioxide and that will make it acidic.

Of course, one could always just use tap water...……...……………...…...……...…...……..
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with Melman. I use distilled water simply because our local tapwater has a fairly high level of calcium. I don't dump and refill, I just top up the tank every night and give it a thorough cleaning once a week, or two...

I've been using the same tank since 2013. About three years ago I noticed a tiny pin-prick of corrosion, which is still there. Otherwise the tank looks like new.

When travelling I take the view that if the local tapwater is safe to drink it's safe to use in the humidifier. Otherwise I use bottled water. I've never bothered using distilled water when travelling.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2020, 01:16 AM)mesenteria Wrote: Distilled water can be acidic.  If you google the question, you'll find that it readily absorbs carbon dioxide and that will make it acidic.

Of course, one could always just use tap water...……...……………...…...……...…...……..

you are correct. Distilled water is slightly acidic with pH in the range of 5.5-6. Are you suggesting it is in some way hazardous? If so, stop eating oranges, tomatoes, and tomato products. Avoid most fruit juices and all carbonated drinks. Especially stay clear of salad dressings and any foods containing vinegar. All are more acidic  than distilled water with pH values ranging from a little over 2 to 5. The important point is that all, including distilled water, are weak acids which will not cause burns and are easily neutralized, unlike sulfuric and hydrochloric acids.  Many will damage the enamel on your teeth except distilled water because it's not acidic enough.

If your suggesting it's more corrosive than tap water, I think the experience of myself and DB demonstrate it's not a significant concern. I agree with those who favor tap water in that it is safe to use. I use it at times myself. I just prefer distilled because my well water is extremely hard.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
Bad input in-Bad data out...

There is youtube video out there where this guy is repairing a CPAP machine. There are many components, ie rubber membranes, motor, fan, etc that the air from the tub passes through. He says that the person using that machine was using tap water. It was gunked up. What ever debris you see in your tub is getting into and collecting (inside) the machine.

I really liked the person who suggested using beer...

Got me thinking about mixing up a martini for my CPAP tub tonight... Dielaughing

Sleep-well
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
3rdMarDiv Wrote:There is youtube video out there... What ever debris you see in your tub is getting into and collecting (inside) the machine.

You don't have the link by any chance?

I don't see how anything from the water could gunk up the machine unless it somehow got spilled. There is a one-way airflow from the impellor, through the chamber and out to the hose. There is no flow in the other direction. If the humidifier is left full of water on a hot day, some of the water might evaporate and some of the water vapour might diffuse into the blower chamber and just maybe make it a bit damp. I can't see any mechanism for debris to pass from the water chamber into the machine unless there was a leak in the chamber (or you turned the machine upside down when full of water).

I think your Youtube guy might be misinformed or putting out fake facts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2020, 12:47 AM)Melman Wrote: I have used distilled water because I don’t like dealing with mineral scale (call me lazy). I also don’t empty or dry my reservoir daily. I just top it off. I only drain it and dry it once every 3-4 weeks. I’ve been using the same reservoir for over a year and there is not a trace of corrosion.

I do the same, and for the same reasons. Three years on the same tub and no problemo.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 199 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 87 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.