Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Whether or not to use EPR and, if used, how to set
Whether or not to use EPR and, if used, how to set
What are the pros and cons of using EPR?

Do *you* use it? Why or why not?

If used, how does one you determine the setting - is it just trial and error based on what feels comfortable?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Whether or not to use EPR and, if used, how to set
Typically EPR is a comfort setting, your choice.  Comfort is almost always trial and error.

Note your CA score before and after setting it.  We will ask for EPR to be reduced or turned off if we see signs of complex apnea in your data.

If you haven't it never hurts to post your Sleepyhead charts and ask.  Please keep all in a single thread and see my sig for how to.
Post Reply Post Reply
The EPR is listed as comfort feature however I found that using it has reduced the frequency and magnitude of my Flow Limit.  Using EPR has the possibility of increasing your CA's due to CO2 washout.  Another potential problem is the EPR will lower your back pressure on exhale to the extent that your airway closes.  Again, this doesn't affect everyone. The Resmed can not go below 4cm,  Setting the EPR to 3 will only come into full reduction when your pressure reaches 7cm.  Using the EPR 3 setting at 7cm and below will only allow your exhale pressure to be 4cm.

I'm unaware of any guideline as to the initial setting.  Basically, try a setting number and if you have problems, reduce the value.

I hope this may help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have significantly less events (mostly hypopneas) using EPR = 3. This appears to give me the best results for my case. It appears to have reduced my leak rate ... and I found sleeping on my side produced a lower score than sleeping on my back.

With EPR off, I see my AHI average around 4.2
With EPR at 3, I see my AHI range from 0.3 to 1.2 and average 0.8.
For me it was trial and error to check the results using 2-week periods. Then I went backwards from 3 to off to confirm the results.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I stuck with EPR of 1 for many weeks when I started therapy. My AHI averaged out at .48

I then tried EPR of 2. The difference was incredible. I was a lot more comfortable, my central component of the AHI didn't increase and my average AHI went down to .32 over the next 140 day.

Then I thought: 'why not try EPR of 3?' Although it seemed breathing was easier, my sleep was not as restful and I gave it up and went back to 2 after three nights.

Trial and error, find your 'sweet spot'. Worked for me!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2017, 09:43 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The EPR is listed as comfort feature however I found that using it has reduced the frequency and magnitude of my Flow Limit.  

Same here, my flow limitations are significantly reduced when I use a higher EPR setting, and this makes breathing much easier for me. Does anyone know why using higher EPR reduces flow limitations for some of us?
Post Reply Post Reply
Nicholas, it seems different people react differently to EPR. Some find it comfortable and that it helps hypopnea, others may find it causes CA events. What is important to realize, is that it reduces EPAP pressure by 1-3 cm. You previously used CPAP pressure at 9.0 with no EPR. It is possible that with EPR at 3, resulting in a pressure of 9/6 (IPAP/EPAP), you may have more obstructive event. The solution to obstructive event increases is to increase minimum pressure. If you find EPR gives you clear airway events, you may need to back off on EPR to a lower setting until you can adapt to the pressure changes.

The best way to approach it is to just try it, and see what works for you. It may not have an effect on your results, or it may have significant effect.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, from what I gather from the responses so far, it seems EPR not only affects comfort but can also potentially affect results for some users. So, it seems one should try out it for both reasons.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nicholas,
You are correct, Sir. It can't hurt and can provide additional insight to your therapy.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
and post your Sleepyhead charts.  Based on your profile of 4-20 it is likely we would recommend raising your min to ???? (that's what the charts are for)
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.