Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which AirCurve to get?
Which AirCurve to get?
I am still a SA newbie - I have had my AS10 AutoSet for about a month. There is so much I don't understand yet. I have had some successes and some struggles with my AS10, and I haven't been able to intelligently chart my path ahead yet. I have my first follow-up virtual appointment with my sleep lab PA in about a week

I am getting about 6 hour sleep. Definitely improved, but not great yet. Still experiencing very significant daytime fatigue. My AHI averages around 1.0, but my sleep lab report noted various characteristic of my sleep that may extend beyond apnea. I get very little deep sleep with restless leg & whole body, occasional terrors and some "latencies"

My struggles with the AS10 have to do with expiratory pressure and times during the night when I subconsciously remove my headgear. I believe this is because of difficulty breathing. I typically wake up within an hour and put my headgear back on. I have greatly appreciated the input I have received here after posting many OSCAR screenshots in my "Abletree's Therapy Thread". I adjusted my EPR setting from 3 to 2 for a few days with negative results.

So to my question - I am wondering if an AirCurve will be a better, more flexible machine than the AS10 for me to have for the next 4 years according to my insurance plan. At this point in time, my sleep doc can prescribe a different device if it is determined that I have failed the AS10

Is the AirCurve ASV the "Cadillac" that has the most features and benefits? If I get the opportunity, should I make arrangements to obtain this model over the VAuto, 10S or 10ST?

It may be too early - maybe inappropriate - to change machines. I haven't really understood OSCAR and I haven't yet received my printed data from my sleep study. But I don't want to get stuck with a machine that will not be able to best address my known expiratory pressure issues and other ancillary issues that a good bipap/epap might be able to manage

One person has advised me to let the sleep PA make the recommendation of a solution once I describe my problems during my virtual visit. I am wondering if I should press for the AirCurve - and specifically, the ASV

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which AirCurve to get?
The only real reason for ASV is untreated Central Apnea. Most don't qualify for this, so probably not. S and ST? No because they are static pressure machines, where the VAuto will be most likely your best bet if the AutoSet doesn't do the job. ST is typically a respiratory disease PAP if I'm not mistaken, so again strike that one.

I think your choices are AutoSet or VAuto.

But you can post an OSCAR Daily Details shot to help know what you're dealing with. Data helps guide answers.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I've seen of the last charts you posted in your therapy thread, you probably would not qualify for an ASV, as your CA index is low.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Which BiLevel/AirCurve depends on what ails yee. For OSA definitely the VAuto.
Centrals the ASV, the others for various respiratory issues in addition or separate from apnea.

They are not interchangeable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Gideon - Is the OSCAR information I have been capturing with my AS10 able to detect central apnea events very well? I haven't received my PSG yet, but I seem to recall the PA telling me that It showed some "mixed" types of arousal. I don't really know if I have central events - or not. I think my AS10 OSCAR data does not indicate CA's, but I'm not sure that is true or accurate - or if the device is able to detect CA's at all

I realize I am floundering about in my lack of education & understanding - it must be irritating to the helpful guru's here Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Mixed means elements of both obstructive and central. I tend to favor treating those as central.
Yes, the AutoSet does a more than adequate job of identifying centrals. If in question we can evaluate the zoomed section of the flow rate for a determination.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not seeing trends that highlight Central Apnea tendencies as a therapy need to treat. You don't fit the mold of a person that needs ASV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Neither do I
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 312 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 573 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,516 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 210 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,243 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 89 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,363 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.