Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which BiPap to get
It looks like my wife needs to get a BiPap which will come through Humana Medicare.  I am not up on BiPap's.  What should she get?  Don't know how flexible these guys are.  If they don't have the one she should get do they exchange them later to what you want?

Also, not sure if Sleepyhead works for bipap. if so what is used?

I might add she has not had a sleep study but will be getting one. She is in the hospital now and is using a bipap apparently because of too much CO2 in her blood. She was switched from a breathing tube to a bipap. She is leaving the hospital as soon as today and must use a bipap even before they can have the sleep test.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's interesting. By too much CO2 in the blood are they talking about lower SPO2 (oxygen) levels?

Both Philips Respironics and Resmed make great BiPAP machines. Their latest ones are the Dreamstation and the Aircurve 10 VPAP respectively.

Whichever one is chosen make sure it is an Auto model.

However, before you do anything else, maybe you could supply us with more details of your wife's condition so that the aficionados here can advise you which path to go down.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are several models of BiPAP.
Which to get depends on what is being treated.

In general we prefer=ResMed devices because they respond faster. There are other reasons and the PR machines are also good. Thenew. PR BiPAP have some issues with SleepyHead.

The 2 commonly recommended machines are the ResMed AirCurve VAuto and ASV.

Note that these treat different conditions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Actually the PR DreamStation AUTO BIPAP works fine with SleepyHead. I suspect that the settings they will issue will be for a large pressure support with fixed settings. This allows the lungs to exhale CO2 more easily. Right now that's probably the Doctors focus and not sleep apnea. Auto BIPAP and VAUTO both can be set for fixed pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since your wife is treating an excess CO2 problem rather than apnea, she will most likely be prescribed fixed pressures on her machine. Oxygenation in bilevel ventilation is managed with Positive End-Expiratory Pressure (PEEP), while total ventilation and CO2 reduction is managed through pressure support (PS=IPAP-EPAP ). In your wife's case, she can probably tolerate relatively low EPAP pressure, but will have higher than average PS.

For the long term, I would recommend an auto bilevel such as the Resmed Aircurve 10 VAuto, or Dreamstation BiPAP Auto. Like CPAP, the auto machines are capable of being setup in fixed bilevel mode or auto. The fixed alternative to that will be the Aircurve 10 VPAP-S, or Dreamstation BiPAP Pro-S. Any of these machines can be used with Sleepyhead, and all produce data. In the auto category, the Resmed tends to be more responsive to obstructive events, and uses a fixed pressure support, while the Respironics can use both variable pressure and variable PS. I would not consider either to be a deal breaker in this case, and I'm sure that the setup will most likely be in fixed pressures anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High CA in PSG and with Bipap J Duffy 5 81 Yesterday, 08:06 PM
Last Post: bonjour
  BiPAP Induced Central Apneas for New User (help)? STB123 30 769 10-19-2017, 10:25 AM
Last Post: STB123
  newbie with AHI~50 & a new dream station biPAP rbookman 27 575 10-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Last Post: rbookman
  What is difference between Simplus BiPap FFM and CPAP FFM? Lanco 6 230 10-04-2017, 06:38 AM
Last Post: kiwii
  14 Years on BiPap and Study Says I'm Cured? Checkerboard 12 435 09-28-2017, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Respironics System One BIPAP ST Jeanine 2 176 09-21-2017, 04:22 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  New to the board and using a bipap disnynerd 35 980 09-20-2017, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider