Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which CPAP machines do not use sound abatement foam?
Which CPAP machines do not use sound abatement foam?
While the focus now is on PR machines recalled due to hazardous foam in the machine’s airflow path, it’s clear that other major manufacturers also use foam in their CPAP machines.  I’ve pasted ResMed’s recent FAQ on this topic below as an example.  While only Philips’ sound abatement foam is now considered hazardous, one has to wonder if other manufacturers will make similar determinations in the future.  As I look to replace my PR machines, I’d rather stay away from foam altogether.  

Does anyone know which modern, reliable machines do not use sound abatement foam in the machine’s air path?

Thanks to all for sharing their perspectives during a difficult time.

-Does ResMed have foam in its devices? How do I know my ResMed PAP device is safe?

ResMed devices use two foam materials that are different than the foam material Philips says are in its recalled machines. ResMed devices use polyETHER-urethane or silicone foams for sound abatement; Philips has said it uses PolyESTER-based polyurethane for sound abatement. The foams used by ResMed in its devices are safe for patients when following the device’s instructions for use. ResMed devices are not subject to Philips’ recall.

-Where is ResMed’s foam located? Is it in the airpath as Philips’ reportedly is?

The sound abatement foam ResMed uses in the airpath of its devices is safe for patients to use. The Philips June 2021 recall* does not change our conclusion that ResMed devices are safe for patients to use, when used as directed in the instructions for use.

-Does the airflow of the ResMed AirSense 10 device flow through the foam?

ResMed’s AirSense 10 device contains foam located within the device airpath to minimize noise produced by the device during therapy. Based on the AirSense 10 device design, air can safely pass around or through the foam during therapy, with the majority of air passing around the foam. We have not observed the issues that Philips is reporting with its devices; ResMed devices are safe for patients to use, and are not subject to the Philips June 2021 recall*.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which CPAP machines do not use sound abatement foam?
Probably none of them, to be honest. People want their CPAPs to be whisper quiet, and that usually means sound abatement foam.

Each individual has to judge what is the bigger risk to them (in combination with their medical professionals) - stopping the use of a machine that as far as we know is causing no harm but may at some point in the future have an as-yet-undiscovered issue or not treating a sleep disorder that can not only drastically affect your quality of life but cause non-trivial health issues with your cardiovascular system, migraines, weight gain, etc. It's going to depend a lot on the severity of your sleep apnea and the symptoms it causes, and whether it can be managed mostly with other lifestyle changes.

CPAP itself isn't inherently risk-free in the first place, regardless of foam issues. It's an invasive medical procedure (albeit one that is generally safe when used correctly).
Post Reply Post Reply
The AirSense 10 foam is really easy to remove. Did this myself today. The machine sounds exactly the same after removing the foam, so seems like it doesn’t reduce sound anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
Meh, not worried about this although I might be a bit more concerned if I used an ozone cleaning machine since PR says that ozone causes degradation of the foam.

Note how Resmed says "safe for patients when following the device’s instructions for use"

Resmed very clearly says not to use ozone cleaning devices and refuses to warranty damage caused by them.

"With the increased use of ozone devices, ResMed has observed that prolonged and repeated use of an ozone device may eventually cause internal damage to a ResMed machine."

So the question is if you refuse to follow Resmed's instructions and use an ozone cleaning device is their foam still safe? I don't think it matters that much but I will follow their advice and not use ozone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Near the beginning of this vid shows how to remove the foam from the Resmed Aircurve 10 series.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdtAVk2R_FY
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, 

ResMed AirMini doesn't have sound abatement foam inside. 

Check CPAP Reviews YouTube channel by Nicko, and look at "ResMed AirMini Teardown & Components - No Foam" video (*).

Cheers,
Christian

--

(*) I'm not allowed to put the link as it's my first message on this forum. It's the one that ends with gbCRm8m_kGE
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,602 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  CPAP compressed air path design, foam, filtration & maintenance MaNoise 10 222 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MaNoise
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 180 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 209 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 671 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.