Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which CPAP supplies should I -really- be replacing, and when?
RE: Which CPAP supplies should I -really- be replacing, and when?
(03-08-2016, 09:27 PM)green wings Wrote: When I asked what the recommended replacement interval for the nasal mask cushion was, the rep hemmed and hawed and finally said "well, it depends on what your insurance will cover". She refused to tell me if there was actually an expected life for the part. I just wanted to know if I was doing something to it to make it start to wear out after two months.

while I have no hard data to back it up, the feeling I get is that people who stick to a vigorous washing schedule for their mask parts end up replacing them a lot more often that people that only wipe their masks down every night and wash them every week or two.
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME recently changed their system and I can order my parts online. I simply click what I want (if I can't get it, it is grayed out). And within 2 or 3 days, it shows up on my doorstep. Only thing is I wish I could get a 10 ft hose as it works better with my setup.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
Hose cleaning and drying... I run a sink full of warm water and dunk my hose and let it fill with the soapy water. Picking both ends up and swish the water back and forth from one end of the hose to other a dozen times. Rinse with warm water.

I take out side and spin a few times and then let it hang for a few hours.
There is always drops still inside of the hose...
I have a 7 ft piece of string with a 16 penny nailed tied on one end. One the other end I have 2 pieces of cloth tied to the string about a foot apart. I run the string unit thru the hose one way and then reverse and run the other way...

drops of water are now gone....
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2016, 11:36 PM)LowSpark Wrote: Hose cleaning and drying... I run a sink full of warm water and dunk my hose and let it fill with the soapy water. Picking both ends up and swish the water back and forth from one end of the hose to other a dozen times. Rinse with warm water.

I take out side and spin a few times and then let it hang for a few hours.
There is always drops still inside of the hose...
I have a 7 ft piece of string with a 16 penny nailed tied on one end. One the other end I have 2 pieces of cloth tied to the string about a foot apart. I run the string unit thru the hose one way and then reverse and run the other way...

drops of water are now gone....

I cleaned my hose once... about six years ago. admittedly, I am on my second one... I decided i wanted a 10 footer instead of a 6 footer.
Post Reply Post Reply
That makes sense to me, palerider. I have definitely noticed that the surface feel of my mask's nasal cushion is changing with daily washing.

I don't know what the inner surfaces of the other types of masks look like, but the design of the part of the nasal cushion that sits against the skin has an accordion-like shape, and I don't see how wiping it down could really work.

Add to that the fact that I take a medication for autoimmune arthritis that makes me more susceptible to catching some kinds of infections, and I am washing my mask and hose vigorously out of caution.

I found a site online where I can buy a replacement nasal cushion for $29 if I need one before May, so I am probably going to have to allot some money to buy extra CPAP supplies.

In face, I have started putting aside money to purchase my own machine later this year. My last phone call with the rep at my DME about how she couldn't find the data to show my compliance, even though someone else there had told me two weeks before that all was fine, sort of sent me over the edge.

It's a huge annoyance, and I want to see if I can figure out how to get out of being dependent on Medicaid to pay for supplies. It really doesn't seem worth the aggravation for the moderate amount of money that they're forking over.

(03-11-2016, 12:18 AM)palerider Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 09:27 PM)green wings Wrote: When I asked what the recommended replacement interval for the nasal mask cushion was, the rep hemmed and hawed and finally said "well, it depends on what your insurance will cover". She refused to tell me if there was actually an expected life for the part. I just wanted to know if I was doing something to it to make it start to wear out after two months.

while I have no hard data to back it up, the feeling I get is that people who stick to a vigorous washing schedule for their mask parts end up replacing them a lot more often that people that only wipe their masks down every night and wash them every week or two.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replacing AirSense reservoir seal/ gaskets- anyone? S.L. Ping Beauty 9 1,412 04-11-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: kalensk
  [Equipment] Who Do You Get Your Supplies From? Fritz1255 2 171 03-29-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 218 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 323 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 968 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 427 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Extra Supplies Columbiabill 2 408 12-28-2023, 03:15 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.