Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which Chinstrap to get?
RE: Which Chinstrap to get?
I have had great luck with the ResMed Chin Restraint. It's easy to use,easy to clean and very comfortable.
Good Luck!
Coffee
Please Take Care, Stay Safe and follow the guidelines to Stay Healthy!  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
All of them ... Sad
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Make your own by obtaining soft bamboo cloth material...double it over making it two layers and fashion about a 3 inch wide strip long enough to go over the mouth to the BACK of your head passing along the bottom of the ears to the base of your skull . Sew velcro strips on the ends at the back of the head.

Adjust the width so that it lays across the mouth from the base of the nose to the bottom of the lower lip (not to the chin or below it) and wear it straight back to the back of the head (not over the top of the head). . make it snug so that it keeps your mouth from opening by locking your lower lip in position.

This requires some sewing machine expertise to stitch the double layer together on its edges and to stitch velcro patches on the ends. But it works great and is as good if not better than the one I just paid about 60 bucks for that has this same sort of design but has additional straps that go under the chin and secure at the top of the head making you look like a wrapped up mummy. The key is to simply lock the lower lip in place and not try to pull the whole jaw up vertically as most chin straps try to do and fail.

Post Reply Post Reply
I want the chin-strap that goes around my feet!
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2016, 09:49 PM)old82 Wrote: The key is to simply lock the lower lip in place and not try to pull the whole jaw up vertically as most chin straps try to do and fail.

That is indeed the key. It stops the mouth leak that prevents many users from being able to use a comfortable nasal pillows mask and makes them resort to a full face version. It's safe to use as opposed to taping the mouth, that some users have suggested. It sounds like you've done the same experimenting that I have.

For most people, a simple chin strap is practically useless for preventing air leaks out between the lips. The "tongue to the roof of the mouth" method may be great but it doesn't work for everybody.

Dude

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question ChinStrap & Data tblaster 2 403 11-28-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 879 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [CPAP] AirTouch F20 troubles - nose pillows better? but I snore..chinstrap? Lilaq88 5 853 07-26-2022, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Unique Cpap chinstrap Ctyankee 1 649 03-31-2022, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Chinstrap recommendations? djhvyc 6 2,001 02-14-2021, 10:56 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Bit of a battle with the chinstrap, P10 itch Bassline 9 1,990 07-05-2019, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  No sweat chinstrap damonbarnum 9 2,636 05-07-2019, 02:54 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.