Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which Chinstrap to get?
Which Chinstrap to get?
HI I was wondering which chinstrap you use. I am going to try the nasal pillows but after a night I realized I need a chinstrap. So before spending a bunch of money on one that doesn't work. Which one do you use?

Thanks!
Kim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which Chinstrap to get?
(04-07-2016, 09:35 PM)giagray Wrote: HI I was wondering which chinstrap you use. I am going to try the nasal pillows but after a night I realized I need a chinstrap. So before spending a bunch of money on one that doesn't work. Which one do you use?

Before spending money on a commercial chinstrap, make your own. Go to a fabric store and get some elastic banding - ask for the kind used for waistbands, about 1 1/2" (~4 cm) or so. All you need is enough to go around your head, which shouldn't cost more than a couple bucks. Sew or safety pin it so it is tight enough to hold your mouth shut but not so tight that you can't open your mouth if you really need to.

Give it a try. You may find that this is all you need. I've been using my homemade chinstraps like this for over a year. They last only three or four months, but considering the cost, who cares?
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand your dilemma. I have purchased 4 different chinstraps in an attempt to find the most comfortable and affective one. Most seem to want to slide off. I wound up with the one named "Ruby". I used it now for about 2 years (I do wash it) and it shows no signs of wearing out.

Your options increase if you have long hair. You can then clip the chinstrap or put it under your ponytail. For me having short hair, the only option would have been to staple it to my head(OUCH!).

Based on the number of chinstrap designs on the market, I believe that this is one of those items that's user subjective.

Good luck.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Ruby adjustable chinstrap works very well for me. I bought it on Amazon for $13.00 and change.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
X2 for the Ruby. I tried the adjustable but like the non adjustable one better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2016, 09:35 PM)giagray Wrote: HI I was wondering which chinstrap you use. I am going to try the nasal pillows but after a night I realized I need a chinstrap. So before spending a bunch of money on one that doesn't work. Which one do you use?

Thanks!
Kim

I have tried several chinstraps, and have had the best experience with one called PAP Cap. My local dme doesn't have it but most of the on-line CPAP suppliers list it.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2016, 09:59 PM)dzwiss Wrote: X2 for the Ruby. I tried the adjustable but like the non adjustable one better.

I plan on trying the non adjustable one when this one wears out. Only problem with that plan is it doesn't look like this one is going to wear out anytime soon.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I prefer the 3" wide chinstraps that go under the jaw and have a strap that goes behind the head. I tried a number of chin straps that cup the chin and they held my mouth closed (as far as I can tell) but did not help to prevent mouth leaks (possibly because my pressure is up in the 20 cm/H2O range. The one that I use seems to remind me during my sleep that I need to maintain my tongue seal by putting some pressure on the soft flesh under my jaw.

Just my thoughts.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I also use the 3" wide strap and find it to be the only one that will stop my mouth leaking when using the nasal pillows. I apply it in the usual mode but then pull it forward to a point of barely on the end of my chin. That way the remainder of the strap runs across my lips and works very well to keep them sealed even when the "tongue to roof" method fails.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
saw carefusion ruby stop snoring chin strap large -xl
for 14.95
looked like a wrestlers hat and was red

Is this the one you are talking about
thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question ChinStrap & Data tblaster 2 405 11-28-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 881 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [CPAP] AirTouch F20 troubles - nose pillows better? but I snore..chinstrap? Lilaq88 5 853 07-26-2022, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Unique Cpap chinstrap Ctyankee 1 651 03-31-2022, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Chinstrap recommendations? djhvyc 6 2,006 02-14-2021, 10:56 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Bit of a battle with the chinstrap, P10 itch Bassline 9 1,996 07-05-2019, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  No sweat chinstrap damonbarnum 9 2,636 05-07-2019, 02:54 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.