Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which DME provider to go with, and which machine to ask my dr. for?
Question 
Which DME provider to go with, and which machine to ask my dr. for?
Hi all,

Got my titration results:

RECOMMENDATIONS:
AutoPAP 7-10cmH2O with heated humidification and close clinical follow up
with data download after 1 month to ensure tolerance, efficacy, and
compliance. A medium ResMed AirFit N20 nasal mask was used during the study.

This dr. Actually pushed me to do the sleep study in the first place (I did not think I had apnea at all) and is asking which DME provider my insurance recommends. My insurance provided 2 that they use, and also said that as long as it is in network, I can go elsewhere. I do trust him but want to make sure I get the machine I'm looking for.

My insurance uses Edgepark and Byram. There are also a bunch of in-network providers in my area that I could choose from.

Any recommendations on which route to go? I mainly just want to get my machine as soon as possible since my titration gave me a "tease" of what proper sleep is. I'll also be responding to my dr. with this info, as well as asking for a specific machine, I'm thinking about asking for the Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet CPAP Machine with HumidAir Heated Humidifier, is this a good machine for severe OSA? I really like the idea of being able to download the data and look at it myself.

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which DME provider to go with, and which machine to ask my dr. for?
Welcome to Apnea Board,
If you've got a list of in-network providers, gather their contact info of phone, website, address. Look up their ratings and give them a call.

I'm not sure what level of a PAP machine you'll need, but let's suppose for the moment it's standard CPAP. Example only until you know for certain. Get an Auto CPAP in this case. If you need CPAP ask for ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet or AutoSet For Her. BPAP/bilevel then ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto. If it happens to be specialized, we'll cross the bridge at that time.

So generically speaking you'll want a supplier that will issue ResMed. Call and ask "when I get a script, will you honor my request for ResMed?".

PS apparently my crazy keyboard would like to weld something to your account. Maybe welding masks or something.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset has the best auto CPAP algorithm on the market and consistently achieves better and more comfortable results than Philips Respironics Dreamstation, based on the experience and reports of many members of this forum. It is more proactive in stopping events rather than reacting to events. It includes up to 3-cm of bilevel pressure support (difference between inhale and exhale) which has important therapeutic applications.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm having a very hard time finding a DME with good reviews who offer CPAP machines, If I have the money to just buy one am I able to do that?
Post Reply Post Reply
Once you get the machine, you will be on your own anyway.  Don't worry about the ratings just that they are in network and your will get a ResMed S10 Autoset and NOT a phillips dreamstation through them. Once you get it check the run hours they should be very close to 0 or 0 itself. If not they are giving you a used machine that was returned.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
With your prescription or your prescribing doctor's phone and fax, you can order online from any of the online suppliers. We have a #Supplier List that may be helpful. If ordering online, try to contact the seller by phone as they may offer discounts that they cannot advertise due to minimum advertised price restriction imposed by manufacturers. Supplier #2 is currently selling the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for $539 including the tube, filter and humidifier chamber. If you have good insurance and a low deductible, it may be worth researching the in-network providers if the insurance company's preferred provider has poor reviews. It's worth a call to learn if they carry the Resmed Autoset and how many days they will take to deliver, and get an idea of how responsive they are. Unfortunately, many DMEs have poor reviews and things to watch out for include poor responsiveness and improper or very high billing. DMEs end up being the bad guys working between the doctor and insurance payer, and customer service often ends up in a distant third place.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am on my 2nd Resmed 10 autoset. First one was replaced after 5 years and sits in the case as a backup. It is a great machine and my wife and I are lucky to be 100% successful users. My wife would worry all the time about my sleep breathing thinking I stopped breathing. My new machine has different default screen information that does not show the AHI and I would like that to show again. My past two sleep doctors would tell me most DME's are bad so use the best of the worst. I am on my second five year period of the best of the worst and hope it remains tolerable. Good luck with your choices
Post Reply Post Reply
JohnnyH to get back your preferred display, go to the Settings menu and scroll down to Essentials. Change from On to Plus. That should do it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
In this day and age with COVID I learned from my DME that they only issue new machines. 
Also my wife just went on cpap after her at home study and she was told the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe the do only give out new machines but the saying is trust but verify!  The run hours are listed in the clinicians menu. The first thing you need to do even before you turn it on is go to the Clinicians menu and verify!!
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DreamStation 2 Advanced Provider ManualIII Clay L 2 267 01-28-2024, 08:03 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  First post, provider is not much help. DPAlaska 2 270 01-26-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: DPAlaska
  DME Provider Recos cincysinner 5 334 01-25-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 modem/provider mystery richapple 4 566 12-22-2023, 09:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Provider Manual for BMC? cpapuser2348 1 259 12-21-2023, 06:48 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,142 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Bleep Eclipse DME Provider corgan115 10 2,268 11-01-2023, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.