Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Time to begin my journey
Time to begin my journey
I finally got back my results from my home study and low and behold, I have sleep apnea. Smile

http s://i.imgur.com/SsCWwyO.jpg
http s://i.imgur.com/EfWVbuD.jpg

With the home testing it came back with a result of 42 events, minimal centrals which means that a standard APAP treatment should work for me. Now the fun part. Unfortunately my insurance appears to suck for DMEs. I have a 800 deductible before they pay 70% of it. I think I am going to order a DreamStation DSX500T11 AutoPAP from the Big A for $420. The reason I am choosing the dreamstation is because of the 12V input will make it easier when camping.

I will probable use the recommended DME (when they contact me) for my initial Mask purchase since I should be able to try some on there. Thinking about the AirTouch F20 since I am a mouth breather.

Does anyone see any thing I am missing or other suggestions.

Thanks
Dean
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Time to begin my journey
Recommend you read the mask primer before shopping for a mask. Here's the link. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

Also recommend downloading sleepyhead. Links are below.

Enjoy the new machine.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I already have sleepyhead loaded and have been using it with my O2 meter when I decide to wear it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have a nice journey and enjoy your new machine.
Masks can be a bit of a problem area, so choose wisely.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
My diagnostic study results were a lot like yours. Congrats on taking a big step towards treatment! The DreamStation Auto is an excellent choice of machine.

(01-18-2018, 09:48 AM)dsmith14469 Wrote: Thinking about the AirTouch F20 since I am a mouth breather.

Unless you cannot get any air movement through your nose, I would try to make a nasal mask work for you before considering a full face mask. It's easier to prevent leaks with a nasal mask, and most people prefer nasal masks when given the option. In addition, nasal breathing is probably the natural/normal way to breathe.

The primary concern when making a nasal or nasal pillows mask work for a mouth breather is optimizing nasal patency (openness). In my case, that involved the regular use of Flonase Sensimist (fluticasone furoate) as well as heated humidity. With standard nasal masks, I also need Breathe Right strips to keep the nasal airway open, whereas I don't need those strips with nasal pillows masks.

A secondary concern when making a nasal or nasal pillows mask work for a mouth breather is keeping your mouth closed, but that is much easier to do if your nose is open! A popular choice for helping to keep the mouth closed is a chin strap. Some people use other methods instead of or in addition to a chinstrap, such as mouth pieces, taping, or soft cervical collars, but I would start with a chin strap.

Based on my experiences, I'd recommend trying the Resmed P10 nasal pillows mask, the Resmed N20 nasal mask, and the Respironics Dreamwear (both the nasal and nasal pillows versions). It may take some experimentation to see how each mask really works for you. For example, I thought the N20 was a poor match for me until I learned that I needed the large cushion (despite the sizing guide indicating medium) and the large headgear (which doesn't come with the large cushion mask). With the Dreamwear nasal pillows mask, I thought it was very leaky on me until I switched to the small cushion and the large headgear.
-Amin
Nothing I say on the forum should be taken as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you are beginning your journey read the links in my signature.
On mask choice,  I was a renown mouthbreather but I found that the pressure from the CPAP kept the air from escaping thru my mouth, so I always recommend trying masks from the least intrusive (Pillows) to the most intrusive (Full Face mask).  My primary mask currently is the P10 Pillow Mask.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 215 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,366 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,453 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 932 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 624 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 245 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 175 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.