Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which Machine? (Aircurve 10 Vauto vs S9 Elite)
Which Machine? (Aircurve 10 Vauto vs S9 Elite)
I bought a brand new Aircurve 10 Vauto today for $80. I have been using an S9 Elite for the last 4 years. I like the S9 and has been a geeat machine. However, I am going to gift one to Son in Law. I am pretty sure he needs one. He has all the symptoms. I am trying to decide to if I should keep my S9 Elite or start using the Aircurve 10.

Any help or suggestions would be helpful and appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which Machine? (Aircurve 10 Vauto vs S9 Elite)
Hi Bruno, they are somewhat different machines, though both designed to treat obstructive apnea. The Elite is (as you know) a set-pressure machine for obstructive apnea. You set a single pressure and the machine maintains it all night long. The Aircurve VAuto allows you to adjust minimum EPAP (exhale pressure) and Maximum IPAP (inhale pressure) and will adjust the pressure within those limits as required during the night. The VAuto is more versatile as it allows several treatment modes, and probably has more leeway to optimise it for comfort.

However, I wonder how you got a brand new VAuto for $80? Did it fall off a truck?

As to which to keep and which to give away, I'd be inclined to use the newer machine (which can be set up to operate the same as your Elite), and lend the S9 to your son. If he finds there is any improvement in his symptoms, then you/he could start the process of getting properly evaluated and supplied with a new machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2018, 09:05 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi Bruno, they are somewhat different machines, though both designed to treat obstructive apnea. The Elite is (as you know) a set-pressure machine for obstructive apnea. You set a single pressure and the machine maintains it all night long.  The Aircurve VAuto allows you to adjust minimum EPAP (exhale pressure) and Maximum IPAP (inhale pressure) and will adjust the pressure within those limits as required during the night. The VAuto is more versatile as it allows several treatment modes, and probably has more leeway to optimise it for comfort.

However, I wonder how you got a brand new VAuto for $80? Did it fall off a truck?

As to which to keep and which to give away, I'd be inclined to use the newer machine (which can be set up to operate the same as your Elite), and lend the S9 to your son. If he finds there is any improvement in his symptoms, then you/he could start the process of getting properly evaluated and supplied with a new machine.

This would be my answer too. You keep the newer, better optioned, model for yourself.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to make Bruno's choice more difficult, but I'm going to imagine myself in the son-in-law's situation and say that the Aircurve, used initially just as if it were an Airsense Autoset (APAP), would be more helpful to the son-in-law in figuring out the right pressure or range of pressures.  With the S9 Elite, the titration for the new patient at home, during the first nights, would have to be done without APAP, which is feasible but more trouble.

So it seems to me that there are a few questions (these could be considered rhetorical, just for Bruno to answer to himself):

Is the son-in-law receptive to trying a CPAP machine, or on the other hand is he resistant to the idea, possibly denying that he has sleep apnea?  If he's receptive, then he'll be more willing to take the trouble to tune a machine's settings without the help of APAP, and he could get by with the S9 initially.

Does the son-in-law have insurance that will cover visits to a sleepydoc, and a sleep study, and the purchase of a new APAP machine?  If so, then again he could get by with the S9 initially.

And how benevolent does Bruno feel toward his son-in-law ... enough to be willing to give away the better of the two machines?  Smile  But maybe, if insurance is there to pick up the tab, it would just be a loan for a few months, not a gift?

If I were in Bruno's situation, I would want the Aircurve machine for myself, no doubt about it.  But then I'm a selfish bastard and I have no in-laws, so I dunno how empathic I can be.
Post Reply Post Reply
As to how I got the Aircurve 10 . I just simply did a search on Letgo for CPAP machines and there it was. This is how I have obtained all of mine. Between Craigslist, Letgo, Facebook Market Place and Offerup there is a decent selection of used, new and gently used machines out there for the DIY cpap guys. I discovered this when I found out my medical provider wanted me to LEASE a machine that costs $1,100.00 to purchase for close to $1,300 annually which I would have been responsible for most of due to my deductible not being met. I was about to buy one outright for retail when my tight ass instinct kicked in. I said to myself "Self, look for a used one on the resale sites.". Lo and behold they were everywhere.

You guys have got my wheels turning (which I love about this forum). I have put on some weight in the last couple of years and I can tell my pressure setting more than likely needs to be increased. I am back to taking a short nap after work. My SIL is not receptive to the medical care we have in the US as well as myself. He has a great job with good benefits, but chooses not to go to the Dr.. My Grandkids have been born at home if that tells you guys anything.

I am going to send him home with my S9 today. I want to see how receptive he is going to be about using a CPAP. My prescription setting should be sufficient for a trial run. Should he use it properly and see the life altering benefits then we can start to use the aircurve in order to see where he really needs to be. Possibly even go to the sleep Dr to get a proper diagnosis and make more decisions from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bruno, the Aircurve 10 Vauto is perhaps the best machine on the market for obstructive apnea, and will treat flow limitations and hypopnea, and provide pressure support for comfort. my recommendation is to use Vauto mode, set EPAP min to your current CPAP pressure minus 2, PS at 3.0 for starters, And IPAP max to your current CPAP pressure plus 5.0.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Didn't know about Letgo. Thanks. I got my never used Airsense For Her for $150 (with shipping) via OfferUp, so it pays to seach these things.

I think letting Son-in-law use the Vauto for 2 nights will help you to determine (a) if he has apnea and (b) what pressure to use. If he doesn't have apnea, the pressure will never go up. Then give him the S9 and let him use that until he has a chance to get a sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2018, 01:28 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Bruno, the Aircurve 10 Vauto is perhaps the best machine on the market for obstructive apnea, and will treat flow limitations and hypopnea, and provide pressure support for comfort. my recommendation is to use Vauto mode, set EPAP min to your current CPAP pressure minus 2, PS at 3.0 for starters, And IPAP max to your current CPAP pressure plus 5.0.

Incredible post.

I'll start looking for an Aircurve 10 Vauto 

Much appreciated.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2018, 10:30 AM)Bruno2 Wrote: As to how I got the Aircurve 10 . I just simply did a search on Letgo for CPAP machines and there it was. This is how I have obtained all of mine. Between Craigslist, Letgo, Facebook Market Place and Offerup there is a decent selection of used, new and gently used machines out there for the DIY cpap guys. I discovered this when I found out my medical provider wanted me to LEASE a machine that costs $1,100.00 to purchase for close to $1,300 annually which I would have been responsible for most of due to my deductible not being met. I was about to buy one outright for retail when my tight ass instinct kicked in. I said to myself "Self, look for a used one on the resale sites.". Lo and behold they were everywhere.

You guys have got my wheels turning (which I love about this forum). I have put on some weight in the last couple of years and I can tell my pressure setting more than likely needs to be increased. I am back to taking a short nap after work. My SIL is not receptive to the medical care we have in the US as well as myself. He has a great job with good benefits, but chooses not to go to the Dr.. My Grandkids have been born at home if that tells you guys anything.  

I am going to send him home with my S9 today. I want to see how receptive he is going to be about using a CPAP. My prescription setting should be sufficient for a trial run. Should he use it properly and see the life altering benefits then we can start to use the aircurve in order to see where he really needs to be. Possibly even go to the sleep Dr to get a proper diagnosis and make more decisions from there.

Thanks Bruno2!

I didn' t know about these sources. I'll start looking now.

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll ditto a thanks for the Letgo info. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto - Oscar Chart Raven87 18 317 9 hours ago
Last Post: Raven87
  Help with new AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings aubreyjs 13 303 9 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  need help be with Ti min and Ti max, just got airsense vauto and got some questions shedu1337 7 186 04-22-2024, 09:02 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 3 166 04-20-2024, 02:07 AM
Last Post: melbell
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 111 04-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: SingleH
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,225 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 1,035 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.