Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First head cold with my CPAP
RE: First head cold with my CPAP
(02-10-2019, 01:18 AM)ghce Wrote: I am in the same boat as you, life with out a CPAP machine is unthinkable and like you impossible. I have tried 1 and a half nights with out the machine and quite frankly slept in 10 second bites for each night.

Same here, pretty much. I'm afeared that I have become a CPAP addict.

One odd thing that I noticed during the two "subconscious removal of mask during night" events I've had so far in almost a year of CPAP use is that the unconscious or semi-conscious mind tends to make up excuses to justify removing the mask. It's dream-logic, which is to say no logic at all, but it seems convincing at the time: I try to tell myself "You're much more comfortable without that annoying thing on your face blowing air into your nose", and just for that moment I believe it, even though I know better.

Then when I wake up in the morning (or sooner than that) after a lot of mouth-breathing and fragmented sleep, I pay the usual price of poor oxygenation and too much carbon-dioxide buildup: brain fog, maybe a minor headache for a while, and being a grouchy zombie during the day. Ugh. No, thanks.

For use during a cold, isn't a full-face mask or hybrid mask supposed to be the thing? I haven't had to try it yet (and hope I won't need to, because I don't have one).
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a lot better luck using a nasal pillow mask over a FFM when I have a cold or congestion. I struggled with a FFM for quite a while before switching to a nasal pillow mask. I haven’t used a FFM since. The nasal pillow will actually push through the congestion where the FFM can be difficult to breath with. The only time I take medication for a cold at night is when I’m running a fever or I have a lot of drainage.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to be able to sleep through any cold/head cold using my trusted nasal pillows. However my sleep has been really bad for the last 3 months or so due to other quite serious reasons (not to do with myself or my health which I shall not go into) and I have recently found it hard to fall asleep with my mask periodically.

Like today, I feel quite bad as I could not get to sleep with the mask on last night and finally had to succumb to sleeping without. I do not feel great and know that it is due to apnea episodes. I HAVE to return to better sleep hygiene as I do feel the impact of sleeping without.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Head position optimization apneavolt 11 344 04-16-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 283 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 484 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Elevated head of bed increases CA and AHI silverdr 1 726 09-05-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 547 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  DIY idea to stop itching and rash back of head? okieman 15 11,167 05-16-2023, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Xltrod
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 608 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.