Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which Mask Has Least Leaks
Which Mask Has Least Leaks
Has anyone experimented between nasal, pillows and full face?
You'd think the pillows mask would win out as only the nostrils are used.
To what extent are large leaks responsible for high AHI numbers?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which Mask Has Least Leaks
I personally have found it impossible to say which masks have the least leaks.  EVERYONE has such a different face configuration.  Even when you find one that seems that it will do the job, it doesn't always.  Your movements while sleeping, your pressures, how well you adjust the mask- all plays a part.

Some of us, like myself, are unable to use nasal masks because we are mouth breathers.

Unfortunately, it boils down to trial and error.

Dont-know
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your question is the reason why I searched for a good DME supplier. They loan me masks for trial.

I've found that the manufacturer usually includes a fit gauge. I've caught my DME supplier providing the wrong size insert in a mask.

Mouthbreathers have a number of solutions. One is taping lips closed. Then a nasal mask can be used.

there are mask reviews on this forum. Here's a link.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-C...sk-Reviews
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Which mask has least leaks? The one which is well adjusted.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
As stated above not really best mask for leaks and all individual .  For me I feel pillows are best fit ! Provided I can keep my mouth shut lol

With a good chin strap I can end up with no leaks. 

I am currently using a nuance pro gel pillow mask . Love it except vent pushes alot of air.  It's comfy and my nostrils are slightly uneven. The nuance allows me to tighten one side better than the other.  I do find sometimes when I roll I have to reposition or if I have my head a certain way in the pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
As you can see from the responses, there isn't any one mask that will work for everyone. Finding a mask that will work for you is probably one of the most aggravating aspects of apnea therapy. The way a mask fits is based on how close your facial structure matches the design model used by the manufacturer's design team to create a mask.

For my anatomy, I find the F&P line of masks to work the best.

Good luck in your search.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me the Dreamwear Full Facemask has given me mostly good results …nice seal on a new mask. I change mine out when leaks become more common. Again it depends on face anatomy. 
I have a narrow face …Dreamwear is a winner. 
Oh and I’ll echo ‘well adjusted’ mask. Symmetry on both sides (Velcro same distance on both sides) Tight fitting masks can actually create more leaks …loose fitting the same result…trial and error is the way to adjust !
CA and OA decided to call HYOP and the 3 of them crashed RERA's place, and then the 4 of them decided to call Large Leak to meet in an Unclassified location while Rice95 had the best night of his life.

Bed         best sleep I've ever had...
Post Reply Post Reply
@crimson nape hopefully spelt your name right too . Have you tried the f and p brevdia ? If so any success ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Since "Crimson" is a shade of red, most around here just call me "Red".

To answer your question, yes, I have used the Brevida with excellent success. Since I become a mouth breather above a certain pressure, I have also had excellent success with the Evora Full face mask. This mask is very close in design to the Resmed F30, but it requires much less tension to achieve a seal. If you are unfamiliar with these two mask models, they are more like a nasal pillow with a covering for the mouth too.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for letting me know ! I appreciate it , the brevdia is on my wish list . But have heard hit or miss reviews as some can't get to seal what not. 

I did try an Evora , when it sealed and stuck to your face . Too tight it leaks like a sieve and too loose leaks like a sieve.   I found the Evora supper comfy , when it worked. Was A rental mask 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 445 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 363 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 145 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 560 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 912 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 380 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 1,045 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.