Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: ResMed Vs Respironics
This poll is closed.
ResMed
57.14%
8 57.14%
Respironics
42.86%
6 42.86%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Which Res? Urgent!
Gross 
Which Res? Urgent!
Hi, some of you know me. It's been awhile since I have visited here. Lots has happened. I had a heart attack in March. My forced change of insurance has finally worked out. AND...

I am finally going legit! Well, cpap wise anyway. lol I done been tested and they are placing me on a machine. My throat is very narrow and my tonsils big according to the ENT surgeon who wants me cut. My pulmonary doc and family doc, told me to cancel the appointment and suck a machine the rest of my life. But that is not the debate/concern of this thread. (feel free to comment on surgery vs cyborg tho)

I have recieved 5 phone calls practically dragging me into the cpap seller's store. My pulmonary doc and this store push/endorse/force respironics on everyone. As most of you know, I have been treating my condition with a blackmarket Resmend S9 Autoset for last couple years.

Anyway, my brother who is a legit user swears by Resmed too. I have used both RESmed and RESpironics, but not the latest RESpironics.

So my question is... If you had to choose right now... which way would you go? Which RES?

In the last few days I have had two conversations, nay arguments, with my pulmonary doc and the local cpap store who (in my opinion) gave some pretty shady (and a couple blatantly false) reasons to insist that I go Respironics.

Have the winds/data turned in Respironics favor? Most of my review searches show me that Resmed is more popular.

Is their new machine some kinda break through in technology that left Resmed S9 Autoset in the dust?

I realize everyone is busy with holiday, but shoot me a quick opinion in this thread to help me make my decision. I gotta face the music Monday, and am very nervous.

PS, the cpap store actually told me that they CAN'T give me a resmed because my pulmonary doc has an outstanding order to only issue respironics. This got my Irish up.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which Res? Urgent!
unless you need a bilevel or asv, just go back to your autoset.
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally, I like Resmed best. Others like Respironics best. It is so individual. Both are good machines. It has been said that Respironics is less expensive and this may be why the DME is pushing that brand. Be very careful to make sure you don't get a brick; make sure the machine you get is data capable and not just hours used. I am sure others will have more suggestions for you.

Years ago, I was given a respironics and didn't use it very long. I didn't have much instruction, wasn't told what could happen to me if I didn't use a CPAP, etc., had a hard time with the machine, etc. so I quit using it pretty quickly. It was too long ago for me to share details about that period of CPAP use; I just don't remember. A lot has happened since then.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your doc is partnering with this CPAP store, that might have something to do with things. Hang in there for more ideas.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2014, 12:05 PM)cowboy1970 Wrote: Hi, some of you know me. It's been awhile since I have visited here. Lots has happened. I had a heart attack in March. My forced change of insurance has finally worked out. AND...

I am finally going legit! Well, cpap wise anyway. lol I done been tested and they are placing me on a machine. My throat is very narrow and my tonsils big according to the ENT surgeon who wants me cut. My pulmonary doc and family doc, told me to cancel the appointment and suck a machine the rest of my life. But that is not the debate/concern of this thread. (feel free to comment on surgery vs cyborg tho)

I have recieved 5 phone calls practically dragging me into the cpap seller's store. My pulmonary doc and this store push/endorse/force respironics on everyone. As most of you know, I have been treating my condition with a blackmarket Resmend S9 Autoset for last couple years.

Anyway, my brother who is a legit user swears by Resmed too. I have used both RESmed and RESpironics, but not the latest RESpironics.

So my question is... If you had to choose right now... which way would you go? Which RES?

In the last few days I have had two conversations, nay arguments, with my pulmonary doc and the local cpap store who (in my opinion) gave some pretty shady (and a couple blatantly false) reasons to insist that I go Respironics.

Have the winds/data turned in Respironics favor? Most of my review searches show me that Resmed is more popular.

Is their new machine some kinda break through in technology that left Resmed S9 Autoset in the dust?

I realize everyone is busy with holiday, but shoot me a quick opinion in this thread to help me make my decision. I gotta face the music Monday, and am very nervous.

PS, the cpap store actually told me that they CAN'T give me a resmed because my pulmonary doc has an outstanding order to only issue respironics. This got my Irish up.

Ask for a copy of your prescription. If it does say respironics, call your doc and tell him you have been using resmed and are used to it and that you prefer to stay with that brand (watch what kind they give you, i.e., escape, etc. you don't want) and tell him which one that you have used and prefer and ask him to write another script and say dispense as written.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in the minority camp around here. I did not do well on my Resmed S9 AutoSet, and at this point I'm glad that the S9 VPAP was still vaporware when I was switched to my PR System One (series 50) BiPAP in Dec. 2010. I don't believe I would do anywhere near as well on the S9 VPAP Auto as I do on the PR BiPAP Auto because of differences in the auto algorithms.

When hubby started PAP this past spring, we opted to start with a PR machine. Most (not all) people can't really tell much of a difference in how the machines feel, and hubby is not overly sensitive to stuff. And the facts that (1) the PR System Ones do NOT erase the daily detailed data every 7 days and (2) the PR System Ones are easier to run on battery power were important to us. Hubby is not interested in following his data on a daily basis; I look at it every 7-10 days knowing that I don't have to remember to do it weekly. And we do some car camping every year.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed is my first choice by a small margin, but PRS1 is a close second.

I'd avoid any other manufacturer right now just due to the fact that data collection seems to be better or at least better understood by us on ResMed/Respironics.

I presume you already know to avoid S9 Escape, S9 Escape Auto, and PRS1 Plus and PRS1 SE.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well they're both fine machines, so I guess to me it boils down to one of two things:

1. If you have to spend any money, you already have the S9 so why would you need to do anything different.

2. On the otherhand, if they are providing you a new machine that will not cost you anything out of pocket, then take either one so long as it is a fully data capable auto sort of machine. Then keep your S9 as backup in case the dog eats your power cord or something.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2014, 12:05 PM)cowboy1970 Wrote: So my question is... If you had to choose right now... which way would you go? Which RES?
If the question, which machine I choose between Phillips Respironcis System One Auto 560 and ResMed S9 AutoSet (not S9 Escape auto ... dumb machine). My choice would be S9 AutoSet, not because its a better machine or build (both are quality machines) but I love the simplicity and efficacy data reporting on the screen 'sleep report' without using any of the software. Both machines comes with the heated hose option but might not be the case with the 560. Some people might not need the heated hose but for me, its 'the best thing since sliced bread', actually better, i don,t buy the stuff and its not even good to feed the ducks in the park

also nice to see a happy face in the morning Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
My preference is the S9 Autoset.
I could settle for the PRS1 560TS which includes the heated hose option.

I would not accept any lesser models of any brand.
I have always used the heated hose from day 1 and don't want to try anything different. The H5i Humidifier has a larger water chamber by about 60 CC, which is less likely to run dry by morning. My current PRS1 960TS has run dry frequently since I got it in Oct 2013.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Urgent Mask Leak Help Zaiforce 4 536 12-14-2023, 11:32 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  [Symptoms] urgent help needed: "Flutter" on falling asleep (on PAP or otherwise) ewriter 21 1,823 09-07-2023, 02:57 PM
Last Post: ewriter
Angry Fastest way to get new ASV machine under urgent circumstances? Midge 82 16 1,265 04-05-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Midge 82
  Urgent! Why is my CPAP therapy causing weird stomach pains, bloating, gas and IBS? WWu777 21 4,851 12-07-2020, 12:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need urgent help with Sefam Dreamstar auto - new to sleep apnea vale94 4 1,252 05-29-2020, 04:58 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question URGENT: CALL FROM DME RE: RESMED ST vs RESMED ST-A Plmnb 4 1,131 02-12-2020, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Urgent advice needed - In hospital - Lots of CA's and respiratory feels depressed MyronH 14 2,887 05-20-2018, 07:40 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.