Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: ResMed Vs Respironics
This poll is closed.
ResMed
57.14%
8 57.14%
Respironics
42.86%
6 42.86%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Which Res? Urgent!
RE: Which Res? Urgent!
Respironics System One versus ResMed S9 is not an easy call. Both are excellent, but each brand does have its own peculiar advantages and disadvantages.

When it comes to bilevel machines, Respironics BiPAP wins hands down.

But for single level machines like your ResMed S9 Autoset, it's a closer call. If you use the ClimateLine hose on your Autoset and you do decide to go with the Respironics 560, make sure you get it with the heated hose option to make it as close to equivalent as possible.

You will then have both types of machines and can decide for yourself which you prefer.

ResMed looses the detailed data if not downloaded weekly, Respironics has less information available on-screen and has crappier software. In both cases, though, SleepyHead is a big improvement.

Like I said, it's a tough call. They are both excellent machines as long as you avoid their bricks and their brick-like models.

I'm a bilevel user so I voted for Respironics. And since you're a ResMed Autoset user I recommend you go with the Respironics 560 so you can compare and see which pressure-adjusting algorithm works better for your breathing patterns.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2014, 05:17 PM)Sleepster Wrote: When it comes to bilevel machines, Respironics BiPAP wins hands down.

why?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2014, 05:42 PM)diamaunt Wrote:
(07-04-2014, 05:17 PM)Sleepster Wrote: When it comes to bilevel machines, Respironics BiPAP wins hands down.

why?

Good question. I've had both the Respironics Bipap Advanced and the Resmed VPAP Adapt. I found the Resmed far more comfortable to work with (the Respironics seems to force your rate of breathing, while the Resmed follows you). The Resmed gives me AHI consistently under 2 while the best I ever got with the Respironics was around 8. So the Resmed bilevel wins hands down.

I've also used an S9 Autoset which I found very comfortable but couldn't treat my high percentage of centrals. I haven't used the equivalent Respironics, so I can't comment on that.

They are both excellent quality machines, but there are differences between them and one may suit you more than the other. You know what a Resmed feels like - see if you can try the Respironics on a no-obligation trial and see which one is best for you.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have only used the S9 autoset so I can't compare to the Respironics. The S9 is a great machine and I had a very easy time adjusting to it. Both machines seem to have loyal followings so my advice is to go with the most economic option.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2014, 12:05 PM)cowboy1970 Wrote: Hi, some of you know me. It's been awhile since I have visited here. Lots has happened. I had a heart attack in March. My forced change of insurance has finally worked out. AND...

I am finally going legit! Well, cpap wise anyway. lol I done been tested and they are placing me on a machine. My throat is very narrow and my tonsils big according to the ENT surgeon who wants me cut. My pulmonary doc and family doc, told me to cancel the appointment and suck a machine the rest of my life. But that is not the debate/concern of this thread. (feel free to comment on surgery vs cyborg tho)

I have recieved 5 phone calls practically dragging me into the cpap seller's store. My pulmonary doc and this store push/endorse/force respironics on everyone. As most of you know, I have been treating my condition with a blackmarket Resmend S9 Autoset for last couple years.

Anyway, my brother who is a legit user swears by Resmed too. I have used both RESmed and RESpironics, but not the latest RESpironics.

So my question is... If you had to choose right now... which way would you go? Which RES?

In the last few days I have had two conversations, nay arguments, with my pulmonary doc and the local cpap store who (in my opinion) gave some pretty shady (and a couple blatantly false) reasons to insist that I go Respironics.

Have the winds/data turned in Respironics favor? Most of my review searches show me that Resmed is more popular.

Is their new machine some kinda break through in technology that left Resmed S9 Autoset in the dust?

I realize everyone is busy with holiday, but shoot me a quick opinion in this thread to help me make my decision. I gotta face the music Monday, and am very nervous.

PS, the cpap store actually told me that they CAN'T give me a resmed because my pulmonary doc has an outstanding order to only issue respironics. This got my Irish up.

I think that you should read over Robysue's comparison of the Autoset and the Philips comparable at the following link: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...1#pid49331

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

why?

Respironics has the Bi-Flex feature which modifies the shape of the pressure curve during exhalation, with an adjustable pressure drop. It gives you up to 3 cm of transient pressure decrease that disappears as the exhalation ends. (Then you start the inhale and the pressure increases from EPAP to IPAP).

Here's my understanding of this situation:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...7#pid74097

Over and above this, on the BiPAP Auto you have auto-adjusting pressure support.

I have a ResMed VPAP Auto and am in the market for a Respironics BiPAP Auto (Model 750 or 760).

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2014, 12:05 PM)cowboy1970 Wrote: My throat is very narrow and my tonsils big according to the ENT surgeon who wants me cut.

Let him do the tonsils, but leave the narrow airway.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2014, 01:46 PM)robysue Wrote: ... the facts that ... the PR System Ones do NOT erase the daily detailed data every 7 days ...

This is the only legitimate reason for a doc to insist on the Respironics.

Other not legitimate reasons are:

1) I'm too lazy to learn how to use another software package.
2) The DME that gives me such excellent service makes more profit on them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2014, 07:33 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Respironics has the Bi-Flex feature which modifies the shape of the pressure curve during exhalation, with an adjustable pressure drop. It gives you up to 3 cm of transient pressure decrease that disappears as the exhalation ends. (Then you start the inhale and the pressure increases from EPAP to IPAP).

only, that's not how biflex works. it's documented as giving a *maximum* of 1.5cm reduction (given the prohibition of posting links, just google 'biflex pressure reduction', and as our very own robysue said on "another forum"™:

robysue Wrote:I can say what happens with BiFlex when using a PR System One BiPaP. If the pressures are set at IPAP =14 and EPAP=10 and BiFlex is turned on, when you first start exhaling, the pressure does drop below 10cm*. And about halfway through the exhalation, the pressure is brought back up to 10cm. And when you start inhaling the pressure is increased to 14 cm. The time it takes to reach 14 cm is also determined by the flex setting. The higher the flex is set to, the longer it takes the machine to increase the pressure from 10 to 14cm.

* NOTE: How much below 10cm the pressure drops at the start of the exhalation is determined both by what BiFlex setting is used AND how deep the exhalation is. Unlike EPR, the Flex systems do not decrease the pressure by a fixed amount on all exhalations. You can read more about BiFlex by clicking here
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2014, 07:33 PM)Sleepster Wrote:

why?

Respironics has the Bi-Flex feature which modifies the shape of the pressure curve during exhalation, with an adjustable pressure drop. It gives you up to 3 cm of transient pressure decrease that disappears as the exhalation ends. (Then you start the inhale and the pressure increases from EPAP to IPAP).

Here's my understanding of this situation:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...7#pid74097

Over and above this, on the BiPAP Auto you have auto-adjusting pressure support.

I have a ResMed VPAP Auto and am in the market for a Respironics BiPAP Auto (Model 750 or 760).

...and Resmed has Pacewave which monitors your breathing and adjusts the machine to support your unique breathing pattern. The Respironics takes a "machine knows best" approach and forces you to conform to the machine's breathing pattern. I found a huge difference between the two machines, in being able to sleep in the first place, less arousals and much much lower AHI using the Resmed. See the Resmed Pacewave page here: http://www.resmed.com/au/products/s9_vpa...nc=dealers

The Resmed has both autoadjusting EPAP and PS.

Much of this is just marketing spin anyway - the fact is that each of us are individuals with our own individual problems and needs. The ideal situation is to try both machines and see which one suits you as an individual.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Urgent Mask Leak Help Zaiforce 4 535 12-14-2023, 11:32 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  [Symptoms] urgent help needed: "Flutter" on falling asleep (on PAP or otherwise) ewriter 21 1,822 09-07-2023, 02:57 PM
Last Post: ewriter
Angry Fastest way to get new ASV machine under urgent circumstances? Midge 82 16 1,265 04-05-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Midge 82
  Urgent! Why is my CPAP therapy causing weird stomach pains, bloating, gas and IBS? WWu777 21 4,847 12-07-2020, 12:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need urgent help with Sefam Dreamstar auto - new to sleep apnea vale94 4 1,252 05-29-2020, 04:58 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question URGENT: CALL FROM DME RE: RESMED ST vs RESMED ST-A Plmnb 4 1,130 02-12-2020, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Urgent advice needed - In hospital - Lots of CA's and respiratory feels depressed MyronH 14 2,887 05-20-2018, 07:40 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.