Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which Travel CPAP Machine should I get? + a few other questions
Which Travel CPAP Machine should I get? + a few other questions
Hi all,
I am trying to decide between several Travel CPAP devices and I wanted to know which one you all think is best? This is an important decision that's gonna cost me about a thousand dollars, so I don't wanna make a decision I will regret. 

Since I'm not allowed to post any links to CPAP sites here it seems, I'll just tell you which ones they are:

1. Resmed AirMini
2. Philipps Dreamstation Go
3. Z2 Auto
4. XT Auto Travel

They are all portable sized and look small. The cheapest one is XT Auto Travel. It seems to be new since I haven't seen it before. Is it advisable to get the cheapest one? Will that compromise the quality or effectiveness of the device? Are they all pretty much the same?

Am I allowed to post images of these devices here? If not, you can find them on Google Images if you want to see what they look like.

Those are the four I narrowed down. Which do you think is best?

I also have a related few side questions too.

1. The manufacturer told me Wisp mask was the best. Do you all agree? 

2. What kind of mask is best? I see there's one that covers the nose and mouth with a plastic triangle piece, and another that just sticks into your nose. Which is better and why? The one that just sticks into your nose looks the most comfortable. The one that covers your mouth and nose looks restrictive and less comfortable. Am I right?

3. Will the mask last a long time if you clean it and wash it regularly? How often does it have to be washed? Can you just rinse it with water? Does it have to be changed every year? Or can it be used longer as long as it isn't broken?

4. How important is the humidifier? The Dreamstation Go has a humidifier you have to buy separately, which is not cheap. Does that really matter? Some also say that Travel CPAP's don't have good humidifiers so they should not be used for everyday use at home. Is that true? If you drink water or fluids before bedtime, then you should have plenty of fluids in your body right? Why do you need a humidifier? To prevent your mouth from going dry? Shouldn't drinking water be enough to prevent that?

5. Do you need to use distilled water for the humidifier tray? Or is filtered water enough? What about tap water?

Thanks for reading this post, and sorry if these are newbie questions that were asked before.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which Travel CPAP Machine should I get? + a few other questions
Btw, it looks like there is a 5th choice now. On other CPAP forums, I read that Resmed Airsense 10 For Her is highly recommended for a Travel CPAP device as well, even though it's not classified as a Travel CPAP. It still looks small and fairly portable, not too big or bulky. Here's what it looks like on YouTube

Link to commercial DME commercial video removed, instead, search YouTube for "Dependable Oxygen Company Resmed Airsense 10 set up"

What do you all think? Is that one better than the other four Travel CPAP's I listed above?

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, certain types of commercial links are prohibited in this forum.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
That machine is exactly the same size as all AirSense 10 / AirCurve 10 "Full Size" CPAP / BiLevel machines. My "Travel" machine is my ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto. My thought is to not compromise in any way on my sleep/apnea treatment when I travel. All of these come in a nice case that is generally allowed over a regular carryon as medical equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the XT Auto APAP/CPAP along with the humidifier for travel.  I also have the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset at home.

For me the XT has been great.  It has it's own internal power converter (unlike the Resmed where the corde converts to DC prior to plugging it into the machine for example).

If you are just looking to use it without the humidifier it's just as good and doesn't take up much room.  With the humidifier I would use the carry case that is provided.

The machine is quiet, easy to setup and only have to plug it into the wall.

The downside is if you want to use a battery backup while travelling it's not the best on the list.  You would most likely need a power inverter to run it off a battery.

The price was right and for me not too big of a loss if something happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's what the Apex XT Auto Travel CPAP machine looks like. See the videos of it below. Wow it looks very small, and it's half the price of the others too. What do you all think?

[DME Video Link Removed] Search Youtube for, "XT Auto CPAP Machines"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9PTKoMKylA

[Image: XT-Auto_section1-img.png]

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
My opinion is you probably get what you pay for when it comes to PAP therapy devices. From the manufacturers standpoint, building a quality machine vs a lesser quality variant will reflect on the consumer cost. A manufacturer has to pass on costs. At some point, there must be a quality skimping aspect to lower cost units.

Second thought is that I'd just take the regular at home machine on the trip as it's going to provide better therapy. My question is why buy a second machine to get lesser quality therapy? To me, it's not worth it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick question:

If I'm in bed with a partner, or if I'm sleeping in a dorm at a backpacker hostel with others in the same room, will the CPAP completely stop my snoring so that my sleep is soundless to everyone in the room? Will I still snore a little with CPAP on me or not at all? What about loud choking sounds I make while gasping for air during sleep apnea? Does CPAP eliminate that completely? Or will a little of that still happen? Do your bed partners say that your sleep is soundless when using CPAP?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine runs so quietly that my wife kept waking me up to make sure I was still breathing.
The optimized therapy should relieve all apnea symptoms.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also available Transcend 3 Mini may be an option

Sorry - olny a newbie so not allowed to post links

I have one & it is easy to take away with us.
Doesn't have a humidifier through
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't mention what machine you have at home in your profile.

Most travel machines have a noise issue that the standard machines don't - especially the small ones so if you are going to sleep in a dorm then that will certainly affect those around you.

I have two machines, one specifically set up for travel - the Resmed S9. I use an Aircurve V10 Auto at home. When I went to the UK last year for two months this was my machine. In its carry bag I just looped it over the handle of my wheeled suitcase which worked very well in airports and train stations.

For shorter travel I have an S9 Bilevel (the older sibling of the Aircurve) as my machine of choice as it does exactly the same job as the newer model. The beauty of the S9 is that you can totally remove the humdifier, halving the size of the machine. It fits easily into my travel backpack with plenty of room left over for all my other stuff. This backpack is the right size to meet overhead locker regulations (just). I can put the humidifier into my checked luggage.

Supplier #2 has gently used machines for great prices. Personally I wouldn't go past Resmed with Respironics in 2nd place.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,680 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 310 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 633 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 201 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.