Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which Travel CPAP Machine should I get? + a few other questions
RE: Which Travel CPAP Machine should I get? + a few other questions
Others have mentioned the nice travel case for the Resmed Airsense and Aircurve 10 machines.  This is what it looks like with a typical suitcase that can fit in an overhead bin.  The case contains the machine, humidifier, mask, tube and power supply and does not count against carry-on allowance on aircraft.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6303]

I carry my equipment when touring on the motorcycle and have done a number of transcontinental trips.  I have never had a roommate complain of snoring or machine noise.  My wife and I both use Resmed machines and you can't hear them.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been a happy S9 Autoset for Her user for 6 years now. I bought it at a deep -40% discount (I forget which CPAP online store) when the same regular model was being offered at regular prices. When I queried the website, they said there was no functional difference (someone here explained the difference in a different topic) and I have been very satisfied. Oh, and the travel bag is great - I don't use the humidifier, so there is a lot of space to pack back up masks and other things when I travel.

It hasn't been 100%. The knob fell off, so pushing it and turning it to reach some menus is a pain (literally! it hurts my fingers, but I got used to it). I wish I did not have to hold down 2 buttons in order to see what my AHI was the night before. But since I analyze the data with OSCAR anyway, I don't let these inconveniences bother me. Oh, and the external pocket on the travel bag is very loose, so I have to be careful using it to carry envelopes.

Yesterday, I picked up my new Dreamstation Go from my friend who recently returned from the US - I live in Taipei. So I tried out the Dreamstation Go for the first time last night. Although I have been happy with my S9 Autoset, I liked the portability and battery pack of the Dreamstation Go. I also hoped it would be easier to get data out of it. But so far, the jury is still out on whether this is an improvement - the DreamMapper app has been a disaster (it was very difficult registering an account - I tried the app and the website -- the US, Philippine, and Taiwan Philips websites -- and I tried with and without a VPN connection) and still cannot log in to it. After 45 minutes futzing around with it, I gave up - I don't need it anyway if I am going to use OSCAR to analyze my data anyway, but this is a disappointment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I preface this by saying that this is my personal experience.

While it is true that a CPAP does not count against your carry-on allowance on aircraft in the US, that is not always the case abroad. I used to travel with Airsense 10 (in its case, clearly labeled as a medical device), and flew in/out of a number of European airports without any problems. Until Stockholm. I was told I could not carry on 3 items. I pointed out my CPAP was a medical device, but they still made me pack it in my rollaboard. After that trip, I bought my AirMini, which fits in a softside lunchbox. The lunchbox will fit in my purse/tote, backpack, or rollaboard, whichever I have on a particular trip if need be.

Also, yes, the AirMini is MUCH noisier than the Airsense which is completely silent. However, I hacked the hose to be able to use my Bleep mask, and that had the unexpected benefit of SIGNIFICANTLY reducing the noise level! Win-win!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2020, 03:19 AM)holden4th Wrote: You don't mention what machine you have at home in your profile.

Most travel machines have a noise issue that the standard machines don't - especially the small ones so if you are going to sleep in a dorm then that will certainly affect those around you.

I have two machines, one specifically set up for travel - the Resmed S9. I use an Aircurve V10 Auto at home. When I went to the UK last year for two months this was my machine. In its carry bag I just looped it over the handle of my wheeled suitcase which worked very well in airports and train stations.

For shorter travel I have an S9 Bilevel (the older sibling of the Aircurve) as my machine of choice as it does exactly the same job as the newer model. The beauty of the S9 is that you can totally remove the humdifier, halving the size of the machine. It fits easily into my travel backpack with plenty of room left over for all my other stuff. This backpack is the right size to meet overhead locker regulations (just). I can put the humidifier into my checked luggage.

Supplier #2 has gently used machines for great prices. Personally I wouldn't go past Resmed with Respironics in 2nd place.

Wow you have three machines? You must be well off. Wink

Actually I have no machine at home. This will be my first machine. It will have to be a travel CPAP though because I'm constantly on the move every few months. 

Do you think the Airsense 10 for her or for him, would work as a travel CPAP machine? It looks portable but it's not as tiny as some of the others.

(07-06-2020, 09:46 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Others have mentioned the nice travel case for the Resmed Airsense and Aircurve 10 machines.  This is what it looks like with a typical suitcase that can fit in an overhead bin.  The case contains the machine, humidifier, mask, tube and power supply and does not count against carry-on allowance on aircraft.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6303]

I carry my equipment when touring on the motorcycle and have done a number of transcontinental trips.  I have never had a roommate complain of snoring or machine noise.  My wife and I both use Resmed machines and you can't hear them.

That looks nice. Hopefully I can fit a laptop in it too, since airlines prefer you to carry on your laptop too and not check it in. 

When you are at airport security checks, do they ever pull you to the side and ask you to open your CPAP carrying case to see what's in it? If so, that may cause delays if you're in a rush. Do they know while it's going through the scanner that it's a CPAP or do they ask to see it?

So I take it that it is possible to use the Airsense 10 as a travel CPAP then, even though it's a little bigger than most travel CPAPs?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2020, 07:36 PM)gooseegg Wrote: I have been a happy S9 Autoset for Her user for 6 years now. I bought it at a deep -40% discount (I forget which CPAP online store) when the same regular model was being offered at regular prices. When I queried the website, they said there was no functional difference (someone here explained the difference in a different topic) and I have been very satisfied. Oh, and the travel bag is great - I don't use the humidifier, so there is a lot of space to pack back up masks and other things when I travel.

It hasn't been 100%. The knob fell off, so pushing it and turning it to reach some menus is a pain (literally! it hurts my fingers, but I got used to it). I wish I did not have to hold down 2 buttons in order to see what my AHI was the night before. But since I analyze the data with OSCAR anyway, I don't let these inconveniences bother me. Oh, and the external pocket on the travel bag is very loose, so I have to be careful using it to carry envelopes.

Yesterday, I picked up my new Dreamstation Go from my friend who recently returned from the US - I live in Taipei. So I tried out the Dreamstation Go for the first time last night. Although I have been happy with my S9 Autoset, I liked the portability and battery pack of the Dreamstation Go. I also hoped it would be easier to get data out of it. But so far, the jury is still out on whether this is an improvement - the DreamMapper app has been a disaster (it was very difficult registering an account - I tried the app and the website -- the US, Philippine, and Taiwan Philips websites -- and I tried with and without a VPN connection) and still cannot log in to it. After 45 minutes futzing around with it, I gave up - I don't need it anyway if I am going to use OSCAR to analyze my data anyway, but this is a disappointment.

Hi gooseegg,
Oh you are in Taiwan too? I am south of Taipei down in central Taiwan at my parents place, and stuck for months because I can't return to the Philippines or Cambodia to continue my tour. Do you get all your CPAPs from friends who arrive from the US? I found a Hong Kong supplier that told me they have a 90 percent success rate at getting their CPAP machines through the Taiwanese immigration. If you want I can send you that supplier's info by PM if you want to buy your machines directly next time. 

The Dreamstation Go looks the best I think. It looks classy and contemporary and sleek. I was about to get that one, but then I saw a few others that were smaller, so I held off on it. Then some medical problems and other stuff came up that caused further delays so I haven't had time to be online even. 

Btw, I saw in a YouTube review someone saying that the power button on the Dreamstation Go was defective and hard to turn on or off. Do you notice that too? Or did he just have a defective device?

Did you get the humidifier attachment with the Dreamstation Go too?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2020, 09:11 AM)booksfan Wrote: I preface this by saying that this is my personal experience.

While it is true that a CPAP does not count against your carry-on allowance on aircraft in the US, that is not always the case abroad. I used to travel with Airsense 10 (in its case, clearly labeled as a medical device), and flew in/out of a number of European airports without any problems. Until Stockholm. I was told I could not carry on 3 items. I pointed out my CPAP was a medical device, but they still made me pack it in my rollaboard. After that trip, I bought my AirMini, which fits in a softside lunchbox. The lunchbox will fit in my purse/tote, backpack, or rollaboard, whichever I have on a particular trip if need be.

Also, yes, the AirMini is MUCH noisier than the Airsense which is completely silent. However, I hacked the hose to be able to use my Bleep mask, and that had the unexpected benefit of SIGNIFICANTLY reducing the noise level! Win-win!

You mean using a different hose reduces the noise of the AirMini? What kind of hoses are quiet? How do you know which hoses will be quieter before you buy them?

Btw, someone I talked to who uses the AirMini said that you can buy an adaptor for it that lets you use it with any hoses or masks, so that you don't have to buy Resmed branded ones. Is that so? Where can you get that adaptor? On Amazon? Does your supplier offer it? If so, it will solve the problem of the AirMini drawback of not being compatible with generic hoses and masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick question about the masks:

I've decided that the type of mask that fits me best and is most comfortable is the type with the plugs that go into your nostrils only and doesn't cover your mouth or nose. What kind of mask is that called? If that's the type that works best for me, which brand and make/model do you all recommend?

Also, someone who wears a mask that covers both his nose and mouth told me that he doesn't need a humidifier because the moisture from his mouth gets recycled back into his throat because of the closed mouth and nose piece. Is that generally true for everyone? Just wondering.

Thanks. Sorry for the delay in my replies. Been very busy with stuff lately.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have described a Nasal Prong mask. These are very rare now and have been largely replaced by Nasal Pillow Masks. These sit ON the nares of the nose, NOT in them as do the prongs of the Nasal Prong Mask.

The Pillow mask I recommend if the ResMed P10 Fit Kit which contains multiple sized pillows. If the pillows are IN your nose they are too small.

Humidification is a very personal thing. Some people like lots of humidity, sone very little. Get the humidifier, run it empty with no heat if you wish but with it you have a choice, without it you are stuck.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I've worn a full face mask, I need humidification still.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2020, 03:16 PM)bonjour Wrote: You have described a Nasal Prong mask.  These are very rare now and have been largely replaced by Nasal Pillow Masks.  These sit ON the nares of the nose, NOT in them as do the prongs of the Nasal Prong Mask.

The Pillow mask I recommend if the ResMed P10 Fit Kit which contains multiple sized pillows.  If the pillows are IN your nose they are too small.

Humidification is a very personal thing.  Some people like lots of humidity, sone very little.  Get the humidifier, run it empty with no heat if you wish but with it you have a choice, without it you are stuck.

Ok thanks. Well if they are replaced by Nasal Pillow Masks then I assume they are just as comfortable if not even more so? If so, then that should work for me too right? Can I see what the Nasal Pillow Masks look like? Are they the ones that attach to your nose with an adhesive but do not go inside and have minimal or no headgear? If so, that should work for me too. The least intrusive, the better. 

If I do get a humidifier, it's better to have a water one right? Not that little disc that the Resmed AirMini uses right? The little disc isn't good to use long term I'd imagine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Travel ResMed recommendations PinehillJoe 11 212 5 hours ago
Last Post: sauerkraut
  EPR questions juniper 7 223 6 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 383 Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 185 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,427 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Is there a quiet travel CPAP? mcman56 1 89 04-15-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 229 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.