Humidifier: installed
CPAP Pressure: 6.0 - 10.0 / EPR 2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure
http://imgur.com/a/5RwA4
Here are 3 consecutive days of sleep.
They range from a good night sleep to a bad night sleep.

Sept 2 was the best sleep and best numbers.

Sept 3 was the second best sleep and worst numbers. The first half of the night was excellent sleep and the last half was not that bad either. I knew I had awakened and having problems so I got up for a few minutes and then finished the night reletively good.

Sep 4 was the worst sleep and middle of the road AHI. Woke up many times and was restless most all night.

I thought I had this thing under control in June and July when I had my AHI under 1 for several weeks with several zero's. Now my AHI numbers are going the wrong way. However, I still think my sleep is improving and I am just sleeping through a few of the apnea's.

I am beginning to think the change in pressure or high (for me) pressure is causing me to wake too often. I have closed down the pressure range some but not below my minimum or maximum.

Question:
I am thinking I should narrow the range AND lower my maximum pressure. I have had only 1 or 2 obstructive apneas in the past several weeks so I am thinking my minimum pressure stopping them and any pressure above that could be responsible my waking. I know 10 cm is not much pressure but then again I am 6ft tall and weigh 187 and should not take much to keep my airways open.

How does changing pressure and/or high pressure affect your sleep quality.

HuhDont-knowI am an accountant so any advice given here is not medical. If I give any financial advice, you can take it to the bank. However, you will have a hard time cashing it in. Okay
09-05-2016 01:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Dreams of Green Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics DreamWear
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: 7 - 13

Other Comments:

RE: Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure
Could there also be other sleep hygiene factors at play? For myself, once I dialed in my settings, I've found my AHI numbers are most likely to be affected by factors such as inconsistent sleep schedule, drinking caffeine too late and so on, which in turn can cause poor restless sleep. And poor restless sleep seems to correlate with higher AHI.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 02:08 PM by Dreams of Green.)
09-05-2016 02:05 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

One the one hand, you show a lot of flow limitation. That is suggestive of not enough pressure.
The night you call the worst of 3 shows a number of central apneas.
That may be an issue that cannot be addressed with the type of machine you are using.

As for:
Quote:How does changing pressure and/or high pressure affect your sleep quality.
There is no one size fits all answer. It depends upon the individual.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 02:14 PM by justMongo.)
09-05-2016 02:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Rcgop Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10

Other Comments:

The flow limit graph scale has been changed from the default (1.0) to .5. They were to low to see on the default scale. As for the pressure, it never gets to the max or min setting leaving it able to go further. Just looking for better sleep.

HuhDont-knowI am an accountant so any advice given here is not medical. If I give any financial advice, you can take it to the bank. However, you will have a hard time cashing it in. Okay
09-05-2016 04:42 PM
Dawei Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Respironics "FitLife"
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Began CPAP in 2006; spent the first 6 years with a "brick"

In my experience, high pressure has the potential of disturbing sleep more so than changing pressure if there is mask leak involved. On nights of zero or very small leak numbers, I remain unaware of pressure changes during the night. Meanwhile, high pressure that triggers leaks can often wake me enough to realize I have a leak problem. During nights with zero leak, I am not bothered by either high pressure (mine gets up close to 20 at times) or pressure changes.

As justMongo noted, your graphs show some fairly high levels of Centrals which also makes me wonder if you are using the right machine to address them.

David
09-07-2016 07:36 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

It's interesting that snores, flow limits and CA are all lined up at the same time. The machine detects these events and increases pressure, and then records a central apnea, which makes no sense at all in the presence of those OA indicators. Purely speculative on my part, but I think you are having obstructed airway issues, which disrupts your sleep, and causes you to change position or hold your breath briefly, scoring the CA. I don't think these are strictly CA events, but are instead precipitated by OA. My suggestion would be to increase minimum pressure slightly to head that off. One other question. You are not using EPR; was it a problem or disruptive to you?

09-07-2016 09:32 AM
Rcgop Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 autoset
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10

Other Comments:

(09-07-2016 09:32 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:  It's interesting that snores, flow limits and CA are all lined up at the same time. The machine detects these events and increases pressure, and then records a central apnea, which makes no sense at all in the presence of those OA indicators. Purely speculative on my part, but I think you are having obstructed airway issues, which disrupts your sleep, and causes you to change position or hold your breath briefly, scoring the CA. I don't think these are strictly CA events, but are instead precipitated by OA. My suggestion would be to increase minimum pressure slightly to head that off. One other question. You are not using EPR; was it a problem or disruptive to you?

I just came back to this thread and noticed I did not respond to to your last question Sleeprider, sorry. I am now using EPR = 1. I breathe much better now. Interesting point you bring up, I have often thought my CAs were miss classified.

It it very possible that what you described is taking place just as you describe. I will stare raising my min pressure and see what happens.

10-15-2016 07:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleep2Snore Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: REMstar
Mask Make & Model: Adam
Humidifier: REMstar or F&P HC150
CPAP Pressure: 18
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

I have found that if you increase the lower level closer to the high level your machine usually get to the better sleep.
The rise in pressure if a lot can disturb your sleep. It might not take much of an increase in the low lever, but I would put the lower level up very slowly. EPR is a personal choice, but it can help you breath out when the machine is at a high level, this might also be affecting your sleep. As someone else said, coffee, energy drinks, alcohol and a few other things can also affect your sleep. Thinking-about
11-10-2016 07:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dream Station Ramp and Pressure Settings knowoneuno 15 284 12-02-2016 06:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] How to change pressure - Respironics Solo slgoltz 5 19,963 11-30-2016 06:32 PM
Last Post: randx2
  Pressure experiment Dagmar 9 415 11-24-2016 09:58 PM
Last Post: Napmeister
  ResMed Airsense 10 Auto Set...Runaway Pressure Abnormal86 14 521 11-22-2016 11:39 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Events way too high! sfrasher 22 1,174 11-22-2016 06:35 PM
Last Post: sfrasher
  High AHI (7.5) and don't know why fotomatt1 15 577 11-20-2016 05:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  new pressure Kendall 2 186 11-17-2016 06:37 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred