Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Diagnosed AHI 112, use recalled DS1 or wait several months for new CPAP
Diagnosed AHI 112, use recalled DS1 or wait several months for new CPAP
Hi all,

I had my first sleep study at the start of the year and had an AHI of 112 and SpO2 that was below 90% for over two hours. Had a second sleep study with a CPAP and currently waiting for prescription. It looks like all Resmed Airsense 10 Autosets are backordered until June.

I really just want to be rested. I have a newborn and the decreased volume of sleep with the poor quality on top of it is making life pretty rough.

Am I crazy to use my dad's recalled DS1? He bought a replacement last year so it's just been sitting around. I could use it as-is and risk it for the biscuit, or try one of the DIY foam removal solutions I've been reading about.

What would you do? (I realize no one is giving medical advice, just curious what other people would do and looking for a bit of a sanity check)

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Diagnosed AHI 112, use recalled DS1 or wait several months for new CPAP
Wow, at an AHI of 112, I’d roll the dice on the DS1 while you wait for the Resmed. The known severe negative health impact of that cardiac stress and low SpO2 vs the remote possibility of some harm feels pretty lopsided to me.

As long as you don’t see black specks of foam floating in the humidifier after use, of course.

Disclaimer: I’m still using my DS1 while I wait for replacement, and my AHI was never as high as yours.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it was me, I'd buy one of the foamless chambers on Amazon, clean out all the other little bits inside (where air flows) with distilled water and q-Tip's. Reassemble with the foamless tank and use it.

112 AHI is pretty extreme. Mine was 49 with both OSA and CSA combined (Complex Apnea) and I developed almost all apnea related ailments known to mankind. Not fun.

Search this forum and/or YouTube for tutorials on disassembly of the DS1. It isn't very difficult. Lastly, take lots of pictures during disassembly so you can refer to the little details when you put it back together. I've done it for a friend. It took a half hour or so and I was going slow.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Philadelphia Collins -- I've never even heard of AHI of 112 -- how extreme. And coupled with caring for an infant, you life must be awful right now.

Good luck with this immediate problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you looked at Craigslist for a used machine?  The Resmed Airsense autoset 10 goes for $250 to $350 here in Washington State.  I saw an similar A9 machine for $100 recently.  Later this could serve you as a backup machine if your primary goes in for service. . 

I bought a autoset 10 new from an online supplier for $1.2k.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it were me, if the Dad's DS CPAP had not seen use of an ozone cleaner I would likely use it for the short term until a brand new CPAP could be acquired. Register it for the recall as well, if not done so already. I received my replacement DS2 about 5-6 months after registration of the recalled DS1.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2022, 12:45 AM)clownbell Wrote: Philadelphia Collins -- I've never even heard of AHI of 112 -- how extreme. And coupled with caring for an infant, you life must be awful right now.

Good luck with this immediate problem.

Ya, the sleep doc said that it's in the top 1% of sleep apnea cases in terms of severity. Wish I was in the top 1% for something cooler lol.

Thanks everyone for your input! I'll explore foamless chambers, see if I can find any decently priced second hand machines, and try to have some stopgap solution until my ResMed comes in (probably June).
Post Reply Post Reply
With an untreated AHI of 112 you will want a backup machine anyway.
Contact (Call) Supplier#2 They do warrant their "Gently Used" machines which is a great feature
Also craigs list can turn up good machines, all the common caveats apply.

With ANY used machine step #1 is to perform a Factory reset to make sure ALL the settings are at default. Then put in your settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
ADMIN NOTE:  The suggestion to contact a specific Apnea Board member who privately sells CPAP machines has been removed from all posts in this thread.  No one has violated our Rule #3 in this thread, but suggesting that a member contact another member for the sale of prescription-required items would be the same as suggesting someone violate forum Rule #3.

I have edited a couple of posts and deleted others that referred to the member who is selling CPAP machines via the forums.

If anyone has questions, please feel free to send me a Private Message.

Thanks.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New car smell months later dkmk 4 264 04-15-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 25 719 04-09-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Schernenk
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 14 849 03-30-2024, 08:09 AM
Last Post: redking2436
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 118 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 517 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 394 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,750 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.