Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which is better and is there a resale market?
Which is better and is there a resale market?
Greetings!  New member here. I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread for this post. 

2 questions:  
1) Which is better..  Resmed AirCurve 10 VAUTO or Phillips REP DreamStation AutoBiPAP DOM  (ref DSX700S11F)?
2) Is there a resale market for these machines? Ebay?  I've never really sold anything online in my life, but I also realize that I don't really need two machines.

Now for the hard part... which to sell?  Details, I had a Phillips Dreamstation Bipap machine for many years and then in July, my doctor told me that my machine had been recalled. By the way, I LOVED that machine.  I signed up to receive a new machine with Phillips, and continued using my Phillips machine. In September my doctor recommended that I try a Resmed machine, afterall it was free as I had already met my insurance out of pocket expense for the year.  I received the Resmed AirCurve 10 VAUTO in October 2021.  I've been using it for the past 4 months. Honestly, I don't like it near as much as my old Phiillips machine. Why? It takes me forever to fall asleep.  For 20+ years I would go to bed at 11pm, finally fall asleep at 7am, and sleep till around 3-5pm each day. Finally, I learned about Bipap machines and got one four years ago. Slept like a baby ever since. Fall asleep within 30 minutes and sleep for 10-12 hours straight.  So that's the way it was with my Phillips machine for 4 years. Then when I got the Resmed machine in October it is just so hard to fall asleep.  I toss and turn for like 4 hours each night before falling asleep. Once I fall asleep it is fine and I average 11-12 hours/night, the problem is it takes so long (3-4 hours) for me to fall asleep.  I told this to my doctor in November and I took my Resmed machine to him and he told me my setting were wrong and that he fixed them. It is "better" as far as being able to breathe normally, but I'm afraid it still takes me forever to fall asleep.  New news... Today I received a new Phillips machine via FedEx.  Its the Phillips REP DreamStation AutoBiPAP DOM  (ref DSX700S11F).  so my question now, since I really can't fall asleep very easily with my  4 month old Resmed machine, should I try out the new Phillips machine that I received today?  My concern is if I don't like the new Phillips machine, if I use it for a few days/week, it will no longer be new. I wonder if it is worth more new?  Any idea what these machines or worth and how does one go about selling one of them.  Funds are really tight in my household, so I could really use the money. I just dont know where to start with a) which machine to sell, b) where to sell it, and c) how much to ask for it.  Should I ask my sleep doctor if there is a market for these machines?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which is better and is there a resale market?
Your ResMed is an excellent machine and it is probably the settings that are the problem. If you post OSCAR charts we could help with those settings.

To do that you need to download Oscar from the top of this site (totally free). You would also need a SD card in the machine while you sleep.

I have a link to charts I. My signature that also gives information on Oscar.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Despite your experience with ResMed drumming to be worse it's the better therapy machine. As Stacey said settings will be the issue. Try to post an OSCAR chart for the daily detail.

The issue you're likely having is that Philips Respironics machines are slow responders to events, and increase pressure for other things than ResMed does. I am certain if we saw data, we can help tune the ResMed to be lots better than it's doing currently and it will likely surpass that Respironics given a chance.

The 10-12 hours sleep or night seems to indicate something isn't quite up to par. I know not everyone needs exactly 8, but I know myself needed many more hours sleeping while dealing with less than well treated Apnea.

Your doctor will probably not be any help in selling a PAP. He might discourage you from attempting it.

Maybe Craigslist may still allow PAP listings, but don't offer it here. Discussing selling is as far as we go to assist here on that subject.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried a resmed machine too, an Airsense 10 For Her that I used for a few weeks and I had similar issues (as have others).  I posted here about the settings, and we had it dialed in with very low ahi but it was not the same as any of my dreamstation machines...  I have since then retrofitted my dreamstation machines with the updated foamless chambers and sold the resmed device.  I would not worry about the resale value of the new dreamstation; use it, and post your Oscar data here for help if needed, and sell the resmed. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Phaleronic - Do what is best for you.  But I also had a dreamstation for 5 terrible years where I thought about quitting daily but got the ResMed s10 aircurve vauto and my numbers went down and I felt 100% better.  She should try to maximize her setting and see if it works for her.  Then sell which one she wants.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for all the replies.

First, I'll try to do this Oscar thing. I have "MyAir," results on my Iphone. Is that different then all the Oscar data?
I see and white and blue Icon at the top of the page that says, "Oscar."  Click on it?  It then says Windows 7/8/10/11. Pretty sure that's the correct one for me as I have a 6-7 year old Lenovo laptop. How do I know to do the one that says Win 32 or Win 64?

Out of curiosity, what will the Oscar data tell us?  The last time I went to my doctor I showed me a print-out and pointed out how he knew the resmed settings were off. He also pointed out that the Ramp time on my Phillips machine and the Resmed machine were completely different. He set my Resmed machine exactly the way my original Phillips was set.  I still feel like something is wrong since it takes me so long to fall asleep.  Lastly, he did say I have pretty major Central Central Sleep Apnea.

Please let me know which Oscar I should download.  I'll then post my data. How many nights shall I go after I have downloaded Oscar before I post my data?  Or will Oscar and the SD somehow tell us my past months of usage? By the way, I located the SD on my Resmed.  Interestingly, below the SD area there is like a spot for some other sort of SD? It's blank. I.e. It doesn't have anything inside it. Is something supposed to be there?

I do plan to try out the new Phillips machine as well, if the changes after the Oscar readings don't help.  And then I will proceed to sell the Resmed. I'm not in a huge rush. I really just want to make sure I stick with the machine that works best for me... which I guess I won't know until after I've tried both of them.

Thanks again for all the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
To determine whether your computer is a 32 or 64 bit system, go to the web link below and follow the directions for the Windows version you have.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...a3faa2e13d

Also, to see what information OSCAR can provide you, look at the links in my signature for a more in depth look.  The MyAir app only gives you the highlights of your sleep, and not how it got there or what caused it.

If you decide to try OSCAR on both a Resmed and a Philips, use different SD cards for each one, as well as a different user profile.  Each manufacturer reports certain data in different ways, as well as, each provides  data that the other brand doesn't.  Trying to mix the data from both machines can cause problems.  

Finally, the SD card size should be between 2 - 32 GB in size. Any brand of card will work.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Lastly, he did say I have pretty major Central Central Sleep Apnea."

OK, there's a big clue to your failed sleeping, regardless of ResMed versus Philips. You have what sounds like pre-dominant Central Apnea, which neither of these machines can treat, at least as the machines are described. You can try to get doc to set you up to treat Central Apnea with a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV or you can try to sell all these machines then buy the ASV yourself. This Central Apnea issue is not treated going by your description and cannot be treated if there's a high enough count. And if a doctor called Central Apnea major, I'm speculating on seeing a Central Apnea trainwreck.

OSCAR let's you see the data at home. You can see events, flow rate, leaks, flow limits, pressure, mask pressure, plus several other charts and data tables, then another area lets you see summary info.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OSCAR and data? Down to the breath by breath level. That means for each and every breath to took while an SD card is in your machine, we can see it.

On your Central Apnea, as Dave said neither machine is designed to treat it. Here we are pretty good at Avoiding it.
All we need to start is 1 night of data to start. It would also help if we could see your diagnostic sleep study to see what your apnea, especially the central apnea was without CPAP..
Both of your machines are designed to treat obstructive sleep apnea, not central apnea. In fact when central apnea is detected they are specifically programmed to do nothing!

I am a big ResMed fan only because I see users getting better therapy with them. That said I was going to recommend you keep the PR machine as they are good machines when properly optimized. Now we need to address your Central Apneas.

What we need to see are the daily charts, not the summaries, because we want to see the events, what leads up to them and how you and your pap respond to them. Use F12 to take the screenshot as that does some formatting so we can see more details.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I got my sleep study from 2018 in front of me. I've also downloaded Oscar and it's asking me a bunch of questions that I have no idea the answers to....
Untreated AHI?
CPAP Mode?
RX Pressure?

Reading this report I see... "nocturnal polysomnogram performed on 8/5/18 at (Sleep Center) diagnosed obstructive sleep apnea with an AHI of 64.1 apneas and hyponeas per hour. The patient's Epwroth Sleepiness Scall score was 7 of 24.

And then in the recommendation section it says... Start Auto-BIPAP at EPAP 14 and PS 4-8 cmH2O with heated humidiification...

So I assume the untreated API is 64.1
What is CPAP mode? Choices are CPAP, APAP, Bi-Level, ASV?
Finally, RX Pressure? What is that? 14? Or is it somewhere on my machine?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 293 03-28-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New to CPAP - and I bought a NIB machine in the secondary market SaveItTilLater 23 1,862 03-17-2023, 02:50 PM
Last Post: SaveItTilLater
Question After market replacement for ResMed P10 headgear/strap? Bubba in NC 1 549 09-22-2022, 03:14 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Resmed Airsense A11 Now on Market? foss 4 1,208 02-19-2022, 04:33 PM
Last Post: mktmgrjrm
  Another CPAP Cleaner Hits the Market Crimson Nape 26 10,969 03-01-2019, 02:15 PM
Last Post: japers
  Fitbit going after the sleep apnea market. DavePaulson 1 1,617 06-20-2017, 06:24 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  "Not for Resale" "Short Term Use Only"??? Terry 4 1,783 02-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PoolQ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.