Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which is the better brand? Resmed or Respironics
Which is the better brand? Resmed or Respironics
What machine do you all own and which brand is better with more features. I guess its whatever you prefer but is there a big difference in Resmed machines vs Respironics? From a cost point also which is a better buy?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which is the better brand? Resmed or Respironics
Ford or Chevy? I think they're both good. The Respironics tend to cost less.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm relatively new to all this, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I own both a Dreamstation Auto and Resmed Autosense 10 Autoset and like both about the same. The Respironics one was less expensive for similar features.

The Resmed gives me lower AHI scores, but I suspect that has more to do with how they are measured rather than better efficacy (for me). The Resmed also increases pressure faster in Auto mode, but I haven't yet figured out if that makes a meaningful difference to me one way or the other.

They both can vary inspiratory and expiratory pressures but do so in different ways and amounts. I haven't yet figured out if any of those settings make a big difference in effectiveness.
Post Reply Post Reply
I read a study that compared several cpap machines to a simulated events. The resmed did so better than everyone else but not by much.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2017, 01:58 PM)Shin Ryoku Wrote: The Resmed gives me lower AHI scores, but I suspect that has more to do with how they are measured rather than better efficacy (for me).  

I think that's true. I just replaced my Respironics 560 with the Dreamstation Auto and though the Dreamstation is from the same manufacturer and has some obvious improvements, my AHI scores have been higher with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Both are good machines.
Respronics is more forgiving of leaks.

And can be run from a 12 v battery, or a plain modified wave generator if power fails or your traveling camping etc.

Resmed you cannot do that without invertors .

Respironics is cheaper with a full 2 yr warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess the Respironics overall is cheaper and the functions are just about the same. That's interesting mostly everyone said that the Respironics is cheaper but nobody really said it was a bad machine and all the models to have pretty good features.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Walla Walla said, it's Ford or Chevy. They are equally good, one a bit cheaper than the other. A small number of people will find that one algorithm works for them far better than the other and the only way to find that out is to try both machines. Most patients don't get to do this.

Both brands have a 2 year warranty. They are designed to last to 15,000 hours and the fix-it guy I spoke with said that these brands don't really have an increased failure rate until about 7 years.
Post Reply Post Reply
With Respironics auto CPAP machines, it is important to adjust the minimum pressure high enough to stop most events. The Resmed Autoset will increase pressure fast enough to avoid apnea events, even if minimum pressure is not optimum. The Resmed VPAP-S and VAuto bilevels have fixed pressure support, while the Respironics Auto BiPAP has variable pressure support, and like the auto CPAPs, the Resmed moves faster to stop events. In the upper level auto ASV machines I think the advantage goes decisively to Resmed for its more natural targeting of minute vent and respiration rate, rather than relying on manual settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2017, 03:42 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: ... like the auto CPAPs, the Resmed moves faster to stop events.  

After buying the Dreamstation Auto, I subsequently bought the Resmed Autosense 10 Autoset and Autocurve 10 Vauto specifically hoping that they would move faster and stop the clusters of OAs I'm seeing (? REM?).

So far, experimenting with min EPAP values ranging from 10 to 18 and max IPAP values of 20 + PS (to keep my EPAP at 20 or less), I don't think I'm seeing much difference in getting rid of those clustered events with the ResMed devices, even though I can see the pressure ramping faster on them.  Maybe I need EPAP > 20, but I'm reluctant to go there.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,256 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 231 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 789 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Brand new to this Cheesedream 53 2,509 02-09-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 678 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,432 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,299 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.